LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: January 20, 2019, 6:06 pm 

I absolutely love this!!

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 2:55 pm 

@mathsci, @airframefixer, @Briggs..

Thanks for chiming in guys :cheers: ... I've recently thought about stopping the build logs.. it sometimes feels a bit lonely documenting this stuff, and if it's just for me, why do it? But I think that's just me wallowing in my car-crash pity pool.. I normally like the back and forth a build log brings, and it is nice to go back later if I have an issue or question with something I did.. I know for my part I learn a ton from reading other guy's builds, so maybe someone is reading this a doing the vicarious thing too..

Onto the repairs.. The front crossmember got a bit of cleaning and a new 'rod' to anchor the passenger LCA.. I'm pretty sure I've found all of the damage in the car, so now it's a matter of reassembly with new/ straight bits..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 2:57 pm 

Last of the subframe beauty shots :lol: ... Hopefully now the rest of the suspension will go in a bit faster.. I'd love to get this thing back on it's wheels in the next few weeks...

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 3:04 pm 

Is the reason for the cut out to grind the back welds of the old rod to be able to remove it?
And to back weld the new rod in?

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 3:09 pm 

Please don't stop posting. I follow every post. I'm not one to Oooohhh and Aaahhhh out loud and in public. And there are a lot of them in your build logs. I keep them to myself.

Is that "rod" an available spare or did you have to have it made? Looks great.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 8:44 pm 

Agreed, don’t atop the updates on this beauty. I want one but they are too expensive.

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 9:26 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Please don't stop posting. I follow every post. I'm not one to Oooohhh and Aaahhhh out loud and in public.

x2

PostPosted: January 23, 2019, 8:55 am 
We are Slotus!

BHRmotorsport wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
Please don't stop posting. I follow every post. I'm not one to Oooohhh and Aaahhhh out loud and in public.

x2
Yeah, same here... I'm usually only good for smart-a$$ remarks, not engineering advice... But I do read/look at your posts/pictures.

We could discuss midget wrestling, if you wanna... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 23, 2019, 9:49 am 

Keep the posts coming, it gives inspiration and drive to the rest of us to keep on grinding away. :cheers:
In a way, this little setback could be an excuse to tweak things back to better than before.

GonzoRacer wrote:
We could discuss midget wrestling, if you wanna... :mrgreen:

MG Midgets or King Midgets? Inquiring minds want to know the odds on this one... :lol:

PostPosted: January 24, 2019, 12:28 pm 

A very sincere thank you for the support guys.. for as helpful as this is for my own needs, I'm glad this is being read.. So often I build/design myself into a corner and I lean on you guys to help fix it.. I always appreciate the 'can do' expertise and camaraderie on this site :cheers:

--------

Is the reason for the cut out to grind the back welds of the old rod to be able to remove it?
And to back weld the new rod in?

...Yes Perry, that is precisely why I had to cut the 'door' out, as Volvo welded the rod into the crossmember from the inside during assembly.. this rod is not meant to be replaced.. I never even tried to source one, and just had my machinist buddy Sean make it for me... Now that it's back in, it actually came together pretty nicely..

The pic below just shows more replacement bits as I prepare to put them in.. I have an 1800 passenger door and passenger LCA on the way, so at this point I think the only thing I think I'm missing is the OEM steering idler arm- still trying to source that.. New 16x6 steel wheels are out at powdercoat... She'll still be bruised, but the car might be driveable within the next 2 weekends (Feb 2/3?)..

One last thought.. the 7.5 pumpkin has made it's way back onto the scene (pic below).. I have a theory.. I swapped the 'posi' diff in the pic below OUT of the car just the week before the accident, because I thought it might be the source of some drivetrain slop(?).. at that point (just before the accident) I swapped IN a junkyard one-legger (open) diff as an experiment to see if it made a difference... It was just a few days later, albeit in the rain, that I spun the car.. My theory is that it was still of course my fault, but maybe the swap from posi to open diff made the car act differently enough that I just wasn't ready for it.. (although in either case I should not have been breaking traction in the rain- that's on me) :roll: ..

Anyway, I decided during this down time to get the Ford 7.5 trac-lok diff (the one in the pic below) rebult by a local professional.. I want the 'posi' back in there, and as long as I'm throwing $$ around like I'm a baller, might as well put the diff in the car that I prefer..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 24, 2019, 3:42 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Food for thought, usually the one legged diff is better in the rain as it leaves one wheel planted whereas an LSD causes both tires to let loose.

My first experience with an LSD in the rain left me in a ditch and I've never been as comfortable or as planted in the rain with and LSD as I have been with an open diff.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 5, 2019, 1:07 pm 

Feb 2-3, 2019

Minor progress on the march to getting this thing back on it's feet.. I'm still short some front suspension bits, but the rear (Miata) stuff is all back together, and these (pic) just arrived.. the door has some minor rust in the bottom edge, so I'll likely end up just using the skin on my old Jensen inner door.. The front LCA that was sent is for the wrong side (I need one like the grey one in the pic).. seller is working to get me the correct one.. Last few bits are the steering idler arm mount and passenger door chrome trim 'swoosh'..

Getting closer..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 5, 2019, 1:16 pm 

Is it possible to back-date a Jensen??

My chassis # is 6024, which only means something to Volvo guys.. This car is the 24th unit built in Sweden after Volvo brought the construction in-house.. She's not technically a "Jensen" 1800, but every inch of her is built like one, from the early interior style, to the C-pillar badging.. Not a huge deal really (not to me anyway), I just sought out the 'early' style 1800 because I like the way it looks..

I bring this up because I've found that I like some of the details that were on the P1800 prototype, and this might be a good time to integrate them, as long as I'm going into partial paint.. The big changes for me are the taillights, recessed rear plate, exhaust exits, and 'rear' cow horn bumpers.. none of these made it into production, but I like them, and I'm experimenting with making my own version of these 4 details.. The Volvo purists may not like it (or maybe they will?!? :? ), but I like the look, and I'm going to see if it works for me... <the 3 pics of my car's rear are my 'before' shots if I go through with this>

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 5, 2019, 4:24 pm 

16 pictures of taillights :roll: ? Get a life :lol:

Your feedback is welcome on this, as I don't want to make changes just for the sake of making changes.. I'm way overthinking this, but here goes my grand taillight experiment..

My stock taillight fixtures are pitted as most are with age/use, so it's not too big a deal to go hacking on them, even if this doesn't work out..

I started here by robbing from the Berkeley project, as I plan to run Lucas L954 (beehive) lights on that car, so since I need them anyway, I ordered some, and as fate would have it, only 3 of the 4 made it intact.. No worries, the seller is very cool and is sending another lense.. these that I've ordered are knock-offs, and I'm happy with them.. the glass is truly red (not just painted clear glass).. they're nice, and they'll work at very least for the Berkeley.. (first pick is an internet/stock Lucas light, 2nd pic is my broken 'off-brand' light)

PostPosted: February 5, 2019, 4:39 pm 

Minor mods to the OEM Volvo housing..

Had to grind back a bit of the Volvo pot metal/chrome housing to get a flat surface..

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next