LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: April 11, 2019, 10:56 pm 

Over the past 2 years, I have been working on an Electric Locost 7 the Frame was a custom build. Looking back if I truly understood how much work it was going to be I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have started. The whole system is based on an ADC 8in with a ZEVA MC1000C from Ian Hooper in Australia (If you guys are looking for serious DC power his controllers are the best you can buy)! The frame was fabricated as per the book's instruction until I saw it called for a solid rear axle, at that point I decided to depart from the book and work Miata gear using a 1.6 diff with NA CV joints as well as hub carriers front and back. The battery pack was from a wrecked Chevy volt and I took apart the pack to repackage in order to fit in the car as well as hack the BMS plugs to use the ZEVA BMS system all interfaced through CAN bus. I used TIG and MIG to weld the chassis and the use of a plasma cutter made the bottom pan and easy endeavor. The roll cage was a completely different story too as I decided to take on the project of making my own hydraulic bender as a break from the Locost for a bit. The bender is made of a hydraulic Ram from harbor freight and the die was from JD I believe. It is hard to summarise all the little humps in the road over such a long time and sadly the pictures only show the final product but hopefully the YouTube video that I threw together sheds some light on the whole process. I have serious respect for people who have gone the full fabricated frame route on any car definitely an experience of a lifetime! Plus I'm pretty sure I haven't seen an electric Locost so something unique hopefully. Please don't hesitate to ask questions about the build I encourage anyone to try this out! I have a plate and insurance on it so now its on to the next project.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2fl4Afbhs

Big thanks to my Dad for helping me finish it up when I broke my wrist and had to go through surgery it was painful not to be able work on the car he helped so much with the bodywork and getting it on the road through the nightmare at the DMV!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 2:48 am 
The voice of reason

Huge congrats on your project! I'm glad you like your Dad!

You know in life you're gonna run into things you didn't know how hard they would be. Then doing it is what gets you the win. You ( and your Dad ( and there might be a Mom involved, don't forget ) ) should be very proud of your project and each other! Thanks for sharing and we want more pictures!

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 3:24 am 

Glad to see an electric Locost here. Plus a really great job!

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 8:20 am 

Awesome build, just watched the video. You have some great skills, and I don't mean just for a younger guy. It's great that you were able to work with your dad as well. You'll have that in your head forever. I was looking at going the electric route too, but couldn't find a way to keep it cost effective...maybe on another build down the road. I can't wait to see the first Locost with a tesla drive train.

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 9:06 am 

Huge congratulations. That is a very impressive build. :cheers: You are a very talented and industrious young man, with undoubtedly a great future.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 9:15 am 

Very impressive build for a fellow your age. WOW!
Hope you enjoy your ride, you've earned it!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 11:46 am 

Nice work!!

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 11:50 am 

Fantastic job and even better experience. It's great to be able to work with your Dad for these kind of projects. Hope you plan to go into engineering in the future.
Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 2:07 pm 

I'll ditto the above responses myself.

I'd also urge you to start an after-the-fact build log here. It may well serve to motivate and guide future builders. As far as I'm aware, yours is the first EV Locost posted here. It would be good to see others here in the future.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 12, 2019, 2:35 pm 

Very impressive work there. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 14, 2019, 1:33 pm 

Hi Gray, great to see your post here. Hope to see your car in person sometime.

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 7:15 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Huge congrats on your project! I'm glad you like your Dad!

You know in life you're gonna run into things you didn't know how hard they would be. Then doing it is what gets you the win. You ( and your Dad ( and there might be a Mom involved, don't forget ) ) should be very proud of your project and each other! Thanks for sharing and we want more pictures!

Haha My mom helped take the car up to get the VIN I don't have my license yet so I needed an adult in the car with a permit! But yeah my Dad helped so much with the whole project I am very grateful for it too.

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 7:21 pm 

MacGyver wrote:
Awesome build, just watched the video. You have some great skills, and I don't mean just for a younger guy. It's great that you were able to work with your dad as well. You'll have that in your head forever. I was looking at going the electric route too, but couldn't find a way to keep it cost effective...maybe on another build down the road. I can't wait to see the first Locost with a tesla drive train.

My dad wanted to throw money at it but I spent hours looking for good deals the car turned out to be around $6000 w/o registration I used old battery packs from a Chevy Volt and a ADC 8 motor I snagged for $200 plus a 300amp breaker for the mains. I had a very very tight budget so I wanted to stand by it as much as possible.

Link to the BOM: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 7:24 pm 

RoyzMG wrote:
Fantastic job and even better experience. It's great to be able to work with your Dad for these kind of projects. Hope you plan to go into engineering in the future.
Cheers,
Roy

Mechanical Engineering for sure! I am looking into electrical too but no one deals with analog power device anymore its all in china for the most part.

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 7:25 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Very impressive work there. :cheers:

Loved looking at your build log Its inspired me alot for the IRS design!