LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: April 27, 2019, 11:48 am 

@TooBusy

With respect to #1 in your list:

a) Lowes can probably help you out. Even if the PE is from outside NC, jurisdictions often accept work from PE's in other states or provinces through reciprocity;

b) You can always have a local PE do it and make a drawing;

c) There are a bunch of online calculators for LVL headers.

Maybe if you run some online calcs and if you're safely within specs, get the head cheese for your Building Department to OK it?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 9:29 am 

@Chuck I was shocked, but inspector pulled it up on his laptop and I looked it up on mine. 16 foot span 6 kings per side with 16" OC spacing.

The new map has me in toe 130 mph wind zone.

@Lonnie - Lowe's says no issue getting the stamped engineering. Should be in the mail before I get home from this business trip.

Oh, this happened on Friday.
Attachment:
toe small.jpg

I came down off the ladder and leaned over to put down the nail gun. Had a moment of vertigo and went to catch myself. Nail gun ended up on top of my foot...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 2:21 pm 

Ouch! Wow, that looks nasty. I hope it missed all your bones.

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 2:35 pm 

YOIKS!
How did you get the shoe off? ...and you took a picture?!?!???!?

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 3:49 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Oh, this happened on Friday.

Was that Good Friday it happened on????

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 10:42 pm 

The pic was at the ER.
So here's the rest of the story.
After The nail went in and a few 4 letter words came out I called for Wifey Dearest. She's kind of accustomed to the dumb crap I do, but still gets spooked when she sees it.
So I asked for my hammer and she brought it to me. By the time she got there I'd had enough time to process the possible scenarios of yanking it out.
1. In the bone, it doesn't come out but I pass out = most expensive taxi ride on the planet.
2. Through a tendon = similar outcome to #1
3. Into a blood vessel and I make a mess on the ride to the hospital
4. comes out but leaves the wires behind since it's a nail off a coil = still off to the hospital or Doc in a Box
5. Comes out clean, hurts like hell and = still off to Doc in a Box for X Rays and a tetanus shot.

I laid down the hammer and asked her to drive me to Doc in a Box. We get there in about 5-10 minutes, not really watching the clock.

I hobble in and they sit me in a wheel chair. Nurse looks at it and says the Doc will be right with me. Guess a nail sticking out of the top of your shoe moves you to the front of the line ahead of sniffles and pinkeye.
Meanwhile it starts blowing like crazy and a storm is moving in I have power tools laying outside, so I send W-D to put up the tools, I'll call her before the fun starts.

I sit and wait, and wait, and wait. At about the 45 minute mark the Doc comes out looks at it and says "Oh Hell No, nope, nope, not here. You need to go to the ER." We have a 30 second conversation and she runs through the first 3 items on my mental list and says she's not equipped to deal with an actual emergency.
I really wonder why they call it Urgent Care?

I call Wifey Dearest who is almost back and tell her we get to go to the ER.

There are 2 about 5 minutes apart and roughly the same distance from where we are at the time. 1 is normally MUCH busier than the other so we head to the "less crowded ER".

Tell them what's going on and get my wrist band. Charge nurse tells me I'll be in triage in a few minutes.
Go to triage, the two nurses in there are pretty impressed with my overall good mood all things considered. They get my vitals and tell me I'll head back as soon as a room comes available.
1 1/2 hours later I go back. It's been 2 1/2 hours since I shot myself in the foot.

Male nurse comes in, takes a look, and says "Hmmm how'd you like a Perkocet?" Yes please!!!
Drugs kick in, pain eases off. About 10 minutes later he says we need to see what's going on and starts cutting my favorite pair of Asics off. He touches the nail with his scissors and I about jump off the table.
He leaves to get some smaller sharper scissors.
While he's gone I grab the blunt nose scissors and get to work on the shoe. I get instant feedback and know where I can touch and where I can't. I've got the shoe off with a little triangle of webbed fabric left behind in about 30 seconds.
Nurse comes back in, sees what I've done and says "Nice work, I should've just given you the scissors to start with." He proceeds to use the small pointy scissors to get the rest of the fabric off.

Down the hall for x rays.

Another nurse comes in, takes my vitals, and says the PA will be right with me.
Another hour goes by, the first nurse comes back, gives me another happy pill and assures me the PA will be right in.

PA comes in with a surgical tray. betadyne, Novocain, scalpel, forceps, suture kit and a pair of linemans pliers.

The most painful part of the whole day was getting 10 shots of Novocain in my big toe. EVERYWHERE she stuck me she hit a nerve.
5 minutes later you could smack it with a sledge hammer and I wouldn't have felt it.
Some pulling, some prying, twisting with the forceps and she gives up and goes for the big pliers.
Nail pops out and one of the wires isn't attached. Time to go digging for a 1cm long steel wire.

Eventually it comes out, she washes everything and bandages me up. Says I can go as soon as my discharge orders print.
She leaves, Huge clap of thunder, power goes out. A couple of seconds later power comes back on.
2 hours later they have all the computers back online and bring me my paperwork.

Back home 7 hours after it happened.

Oh, Wifey Dearest has video of the twisting and prying.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: April 30, 2019, 8:13 am 
We are Slotus!

OUCH!!! Damn, Tommy, that looks horrible... I was out of town over the weekend, just got back online and saw this post. After reading it, I'm not sure whether to laugh or throw up or stage some kind of protest in front of the Urgent Care place. (And by "protest" I mean punching somebody in the nose...)

Hope it feels better now. Medicinal doses of Jameson 12 or Bushmills Black usually work for me.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 30, 2019, 10:06 am 

Did you save the nail? Would be a good one to toe in something with. :mrgreen:

I'll get my coat.

PostPosted: April 30, 2019, 8:08 pm 

@JD They sent me home with a script for some hillbilly heroin. PA Suggested I alternate between high doses of acetamenophen and ibuprofen; "Studies show pain management is better than with narcotics. yada, yada, yada."
Honestly it works really well as long as you take them with food.

@300D50 - The nail went into the biohazard container straight away. Something about hospital protocols, sharps, bloodborne pathogens, more yada yada yada.
I could have toe nailed on some trim though.

Here's my favorite pic. About as close to making a mess as I could get.
Attachment:
xray.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: May 1, 2019, 3:31 pm 

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the length of your misadventure, but glad to see that X-Ray. It was close, but as they say, "A miss is as good as a mile."

I promise not to continue the "toe nail" jokes, but it's a temptation. :wink:

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 20, 2019, 11:15 am 

Yesterday was a milestone day. Siding on the garage, including fascia, soffits, and trim is DONE!!!!!
Attachment:
trim done.jpg

I rented a 10' trim bender Saturday morning and started to work on the "fancy new vinyl trim coil" that the big box stores are all selling now.
PURE TOTAL F-ing GARBAGE!
The package says. Works just like aluminum trim. Bend on any brake.
Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Garbage.
The stuff has the structural rigidity of overcooked lasagna noodles.

So after wasting a couple of hours I go on a magical quest to find aluminum trim. Looking for 10"x50' coils.
Apparently 10" aluminum trim coil has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Called 4 places, none carry it anymore. All 4 tried selling me the vinyl crap that I was throwing in the garbage.

Eventually I found 14" x 50' coils at Home Defect. Came home and started bending trim, ran out of daylight on Saturday and finished up yesterday morning.

Next up gutters and start work on interior.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: June 3, 2019, 9:17 am 

Time for a quick update.
Trying to remember where I left off, I think trim on the siding...
Thursday a week ago... Next up order drywall. I call the Pro Desk to get them to quote 38 sheets instead of paying list price. Quote comes back 30% discount.
We go grab a trailer load, aka 38 sheets, aka 2200 lbs of drywall.

Friday the gutter guy showed up. $275 and I have seamless gutters installed in less than 2 hours. Maybe I should buy a gutter machine when I retire...

Also last Friday I headed to Lowes to buy a window unit AC. 14000 BTU. Online $399, one in stock; awesome. I get to the store and it's priced at $479. :?
So I call the red vest over and ask about the online price. Here's the convo:
Her: yeah our inventory is wrong all the time, I'm sure we've sold that one already.
Me: I look at the online description, the Lowe's SKU#, and the UPC number; they're all the same as the unit on the shelf. I point it out to her and say I'll take this one for $399.
Her: I can't do that.
Me: No problem, find someone who can
Her: blank stare
Me: stare back
Me: Listen, you can sell me this one for $399, or I leave. Easy Peasy
Her: let me talk to a manager

10 minutes later we're checking out at $399 plus a 10% discount.
Wifey Dearest and I come home and spend a few minutes installing the unit. I'm sweating from every pore in my body. It's 93 degrees and humid. Get it installed, turn it on and feel the cool air flow over my sweaty body.

Then we start hanging drywall.
Out there until about 9pm. Temp in the garage goes down from 93 to 88.
Attachment:
drywall1.jpg

Saturday morning Yard sales with Wifey Dearest and Mother in Law. It's kind of a thing with us. Yard sales, Biscuitville for breakfast, a few more yard sales, then come home and get to work around 10am.
Already hot as balls
We head into the garage and finish hanging drywall on the walls.
AC running, not keeping up with the heat POURING off the inside of the roof. I grabbed my IR thermometer that I use for autocross to see just how hot the roof deck is.
On the roof, shingles are 150 degrees. Inside the garage, back side of OSB is 130 degrees. Hmmm I believe some insulation is in order before hanging drywall on the ceiling.

Road trip to Thomasville to grab 18 sheets of 3" thick DuPont foil face closed cell foam.
Come home and head to Home Depot to rent a drywall lift...

Sunday Sunday Sunday
My favorite Sis and Brother in Law come over. Jerry can do anything and he and I work together enough we can know what the other is doing.
We practice with the lift before we go too far. A little fun getting used to the lift, my step ladder, and the scaffold, but making progress in no time.
Attachment:
ceiling 1.png

We start cutting foam panels and shoving them between trusses. Cut for a tight fit so friction keeps them in place.
In about 2 hours we have the ceiling insulated. AC is running 93 outside, 73 inside WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Attachment:
ceiling 3.png

5 pm rolls around and the ceiling is up.
Attachment:
ceiling4.png

I spent evenings this week mudding and taping, and mudding and taping, and mudding, and mudding, and sanding...

A friend came to visit and spent the weekend with us.
Friday night. Thunderstorms and sitting on the front porch drinking wine
Saturday morning yard sales, like I said it's kind of a thing.
Saturday afternoon by Niece's daughter (great niece???) has a graduation party.
Saturday evening, dinner and more porch and wine time

Sunday morning Church
Sunday after church we got to work.
Paint the walls. First coat sucked up like a sponge. Second coat looks better than I ever hoped. No the walls aren't perfect, nothing I do is perfect.
Attachment:
paint 1.jpg

Let me tell you how much I'm worried about it............................................................

Go that out of my system. :lol:
Then late yesterday afternoon hang slatwall on the long wall.
Attachment:
paint 2.jpg

Attachment:
drywall3.jpg

A little sanding and two coats of paint on the ceiling and it's move in day.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: June 3, 2019, 8:01 pm 

Nice progress!
I was surprised not to see insulation poking up at the top behind the sheetrock in your wall pictures, but as I scrolled down was glad to see you went with foam in the ceiling at least!
Is your attic space vented? That will help too.

PostPosted: June 3, 2019, 8:50 pm 

It's vented but not enough.
This weekend if the weather is nice I'm pulling off the ridge cap shingles and installing a full length ridge vent.

The walls we have sheathing, then house wrap, then vinyl siding, so there's not much heat transfer. I shot the walls on the south side and they measured air temp at 93 degrees.
I'm sure there will be heat loss and gain, but not losing much sleep over it.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: June 3, 2019, 11:16 pm 

Hey Tommy
Great progress!
I too was amused to see no insulation in the walls, we would freeze out here way up north without that :lol:. You guys have to insulate for heat stroke and up hear we insulate so we don't freeze the family jewels.
Fresh paint, nice bright shop, brings back memories for me, fast forward 25 years I walk into my shop and I think I'm entering a coal mine. Instead of paint I buy brighter light bulbs and an LED light on my welding helmet.
But we do have one thing in common I believe - wine night (priceless) for you and sundowners up north for us :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next