LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: June 28, 2014, 8:41 pm 

Thanks to all - much appreciated. I will try to fill in the blanks since last December. Body work is very time consuming!!

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: June 29, 2014, 2:57 pm 

John, thanks for posting the update. I've was wondering how your project was going. As to be expected, it looks fantastic!

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 12:30 am 

Are there any updates on this project? Was it completed? Really interested to learn what is going on with it.

PostPosted: February 8, 2016, 11:22 am 

John wrote:
Are there any updates on this project? Was it completed? Really interested to learn what is going on with it.

Agreed, this project is not just amazing like so many on here, but also exciting in a whole different way! Definitely want to see what became of it.

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 7:17 am 

Too many projects going on. The sale and follow up modifications to the Wycked7 meant that the SkaytR6 got put on hold. I subsequently bought an Amac sports racer to get back to driving. I ended up selling it and bought another Amac. Ran it once last September.
I WILL be working on the SkaytR6 this year though (with pictures). I promise!

JMR

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 11:45 am 

John, It is great that you are getting back to this project. I wish I could see it again in person. What I remember was, it was very well thought out and engineered. As is the case with everything you build. But my son was reassigned last Summer and is no longer in PA. So sadly, my annual trek to PA is no longer. We'll see where he goes to in 3 more years, maybe......?

Keep us up to date as things progress. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 8:10 pm 

Been a while for an update and pictures - my apologies. Much happening but little progress on the SkaytR6 till late last year.
I figured I needed a trailer to haul the sports racer so I made a trailer that was a little different. It is barely higher than my Astro van tow vehicle when being towed but able to stand in it at the track. A couple of pictures show its configuration.
Next was beefing up the Astro. I bought it with 20k on it in 1998 while still under warranty. Changed out the seats for ones from a Chrysler mini van - much more comfortable around 2012. In 2016 I bought a used engine/trans from a 2000 Chevy Express van and rebuilt the engine. Installed the rebuilt Vortec 350 and heavy duty 4L80E trans along with most of the exhaust system. Used my old tail pipe! Had the ecu reprogramed and added a few wires. Pulls strong but the mileage went south.
The Amac sports racer that I purchased suffered an off track experience in July 2016. I believe a front hub carrier failed, causing a slow spin into a concrete median barrier at about 100 mph. Most of the impact was to the right rear. Not good for the car, I came out pretty sore but not broken. A few days later I coughed and my ribs showed me a pain worse than the accident!
The gentleman that bought the Wycked7 asked me if I would prep a Trans Am race car for him - 100 hours of work or so. That turned into several hundred hours of work including prepping a trailer to carry it.
So now back to the SkaytR6. Painted the frame and started assembling it last year. So much time into the details!! Finally finished the wiring which included modifying the wire harness from the injected 2008 Yamaha R6. This is a fly by wire throttle. Separate fuel surge tank with high pressure pump and transfer pump from the main tank to the surge tank.
I can only post 12 attachments so on to Pt. - 2

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 8:19 pm 

Tale continued - Pt. 2
Dual radiators with attendant plumbing and air bleeds. Fabricated a muffler along the lines of the Quiet Horsepower Phase 10. The body I layed up in the molds was a problem. I did the layups alone. Big mistake. Alligatoring gelcoat and air bubbles between the gelcoat and the laminate meant way to much time doing body repair. Rented a booth to do the paint as it was too cold to do in my shop/\.
I ordered cores for the rear wing from a foam model company - Selig 1223rts profile. Aluminum tube spar, 4 layers of carbon fiber/epoxy and vacuum bag the mess. 64" long wing with a 12" cord weighs about 10 #'s. A little heavy but nice.

And on to Pt. 3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 8:40 pm 

Tale continued - Pt.3
First run was on a private road (with owners permission!). IT RAN, STEERED AND STOPPED!!
Two days later (Tuesday) I participated in a track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, Wa. Ran 3 sessions with nothing more than having to adjust the chain. I did have a list of things to do before the race weekend with ICSCC (International Conference of Sports Car Clubs) on May 11 & 12. I changed to a larger rear m/cyl, ducted air to the inboard rear brakes, semi balanced the tires with a cheap bubble balancer and changed the mirrors. Loaded the car back in the trailer. Sat morning headed to the track with my dog - Sarek (Dobie named after Spock's father).
Got a log book and the car safety inspected.
No time in first session, 1:33 in second session. Not a bad time and I was thrilled that I could still compete!!!
Sunday morning did a 1:31.6 to qualify 12th. Sunday race - got down to a 1:28.66 !!!! 6th overall and 2nd in class.
So now it is back in the shop. New brake pads to further help the braking situation (toooo much rear brakes). New steering arms to play with Ackerman. Made a new tire balancer from a hub and square tubing to allow the wheel to roll. It is very sensitive to a quarter ounce or so. I also found I did not bead seat one of the rear tires properly - that is now fixed. Further adjustment to mirror mounting and back in the trailer for a race mid June!!!!!!
Forgot to add the 3rd spring setup in an earlier post.

That's all for now :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: May 30, 2019, 11:17 am 

All I can say is WOW! That looks amazing. But sorry to hear about your encounter with a barrier.

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 1:00 am 

cs3tcr, Thank you! I was able to walk away from the crash but the car did not. Such is the price of racing.

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 2:39 am 

Looking mega nice John. Plan to hit anything trackwise locally?

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 2:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

benny_toe wrote:
Looking mega nice John. Plan to hit anything trackwise locally?

Do you mean like walls, spectators, officials, food trucks, etc.?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 3:05 pm 

Guess I could have worded that better. Meant would he be racing on tracks around Seattle. He's done the other. Once is enough.

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 9:15 pm 

I was just at Pacific Raceway near Auburn. Next event for me is Portland mid June. Then back to Pacific Raceway mid July. Possibly Portland in August with the last race in Shelton at the Ridge Motorsports Park at the end of August to finish the season.
I have to admit this car is so predictable and drives sooo nice. I will try my damnedest NOT to hit anything!!
Thanks for the kudos!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next