LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 8:50 am 

I've finished cleaning and painting parts. I installed the engine and trans this week. I purchased tall aluminum valve covers to dress up the engine a little. They look good but they are heavy. :)

I riveted most of the aluminum panels but used self tapping screws for panels that I need to remove sometimes for access. I built the frame around the engine and trans. It's a tight fit but I have good access to everything for repairs and maintenance.

Hopefully I will finish assembly in the next 2 weeks.

PostPosted: April 27, 2019, 8:26 am 

I've finished installing the suspension and steering. I designed the chassis so that I would end up with a 5 inch ride height with 60% of shock travel available for compression. I'm happy to say that I've accomplished this. The car is sitting a little high in these pictures. Final ride height will be adjusted after completion and me in the car.

I set the tub on to make sure tire clearance was good and to play with tail lights. I have a full set of Lucas Winged surface mounted lights. These would meet NY's requirements for side markers.

I have wiring, plumbing, and some engine assembly to finish. I hope to have a driveable car by the end of next week.

PostPosted: April 27, 2019, 4:00 pm 

Things appear to be moving along nicely, John. Keep up the good work! :cheers:

PostPosted: April 30, 2019, 10:08 pm 

Thanks Mike.

I'm in the final stretch! Working on assembly right now.

I bought the engine used. I changed the valve covers and intake and was happy to see how clean the engine is. Nothing fancy here. Your basic SBC.

I'm using an readily available and inexpensive Chevy radiator. I turned it the opposite way of normal for clearance reasons.

Most electric cooling fans are held to the radiator with ties that pass through the fins. I don't like mounting it that way so I welded up brackets that it will bolt to.

The hood has bulkheads that the hinge bolts to. When closed the bulkheads seal the sides of the radiator. There will be an aluminum pan under the steering/radiator area.

The self tapping screws that you see will be replaced with bolts.

Brake plumbing tomorrow. Then wiring!

PostPosted: May 2, 2019, 10:03 pm 

I now have a functioning Ebrake. You can see the cables under the diagonal bars at the rear. I'll zip tie the cables to those bars.

The fuel tank is mounted. It's a standard Hot Rod tank from Speedway. I made sure that I can mount the body with the tank installed. And, That I can remove the tank with out removing the body. As of tonight I have the fuel line run.

I have the headers and side pipes installed. I'm using readily available and inexpensive parts for the exhaust. Patriot Vorted Truck headers into a 90 into the Patriot side pipes.

PostPosted: May 5, 2019, 6:58 pm 

Next update :)

The engine is ready to fire, Radiator and plumbing for it is done, Throttle cable hooked up, Pedals finished, Brakes plumbed and working, E brake functioning. To be drivable it needs gauges, wiring, lights and wipers. I'm hoping to get those items completed this week.

I rolled it out today to see how it was looking. The back is a little low and the front a little high. I'll set it on scales and make the final adjustments when I'm finished with everything else.

The seating position, for me, is perfect. I'm very comfortable in it and have lots of leg room.

I love the looks, and size of the car. I'm happy with it.

PostPosted: May 6, 2019, 7:30 pm 

Today I worked on the dash layout. I need to fine tune it to get everything lined up.

There isn't enough clearance to use normal car headlights. I'm using Harley Davidson Vrod headlights. Today I spent a couple of hours building a mounting bracket that will allow for both horizontal and vertical adjustment. I finished it and then realized there was a better way to do it. Tomorrow I'll start over. :( That's the story on this car. I've done almost every step multiple times to get it where I'm happy.

At the end of the day I set the car on my scales. The car is complete with the exception of fuel, coolant, and 2 side mirrors. I have final ride height and spring adjustments to do.

PostPosted: May 9, 2019, 7:48 pm 

I decided to cut the dash out of the body tub. This will make wiring and installing the wiper system a lot easier. I bonded a flange to the back of the tub where the dash was cut out. The dash mounts to the trans tunnel and then to the flange. The body can be installed and removed with removing the dash.

I'm going to shorten the shifter.

I have a driveshaft safety hoop that I will bolt in.

I'm leaving Sat for a trip to FL to visit family. I was hoping to have the car running before I left. That's not going to happen.

The next update will be in 10-14 days.

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 2:58 pm 

Very, very nice!

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 3:13 pm 

Good progress - I like the looks even without the paint.
Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: June 5, 2019, 9:16 pm 

Still lots to do but last night I took the first drive. Just down the driveway and back. :)
https://youtu.be/CEeY91zsBmU
https://youtu.be/HQAK3VaWjT0

PostPosted: June 5, 2019, 9:38 pm 

How did that feel? Looks and sounds great! Reminds me of when I saw Ralph Salyer's Cro-Sal special back in the 60s.

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 12:12 pm 

Cool. Congratulations.

I'm lovin' looking at all that open space you have - unlimited toy storage. :lol:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 13, 2019, 6:18 pm 

It was a great feeling to have the car move under it's own power. A relieve that everything worked.

I started this build a little over 2.5 years ago. I've built a number of cars. I love the looks of this one. I'm happy with how it's turned out.

I''m fortunate to have a little shop in the middle of nowhere that has a bunch of storage space.

The other day I washed the car and did a quick wet sand with 220 to remove any remaining mold release and to clean the body up. I'm going to drive it until winter like this. Over the winter I will do the final body work, paint, and upgrade the interior. There are a few details to clean up but the car is drivable now.

I had to take the car to state official scales to get it's weight for the NY registration process. I also needed to take some pictures to submit with the application. I'm submitting the application tomorrow. This can take some time. I hope that all goes smoothly.

Here are the pics I'm submitting.

https://i.ibb.co/ZhLPBgm/chesnutroadsterengine.jpg

PostPosted: June 14, 2019, 9:32 am 

Awesome. I hope all goes well with registering it.

Did you build the body? Want to sell me one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next