LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 4:30 pm 

Hi Guys,

Im building my locost, and I planned to do all SS braided for my car. Lookinga t the lines I received, I noticed the lines are marked non dot, offroad use only.

Is this gonna be an issue and if so, who makes DOT approved lines. I have about a 72 inch SS braid line going trough the center. So I need one that long atleast.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear- ... /overview/

This is the line I'm using.

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 8:07 pm 

My first comment is, "Nothing you can buy is DOT 'Approved'". That goes for Brake lines, or headlights, or anything else for that matter. DOT issues the requirements for such devices. They do not approve. The correct statement a manufacturer should say is "DOT compliant". If it meets the DOT standards.

One might ask why these brake lines are not listed as DOT compliant. Is it that the mfgr simply didn't bother to read or follow the DOT requirements and just saying this as an easy way out? Did they not bother to test their product to DOT requirements? Did they test and fail? Or are they doing something that is in strict violation of the requirements?

I am very fuzzy about this next part. I seem to recall reading that some braided brake lines have problems where the braid can cut into the inner flex tubing. Perhaps, and I'm only guessing, DOT covers how to prevent this from happening?

I often wonder why builders do not use hard brake lines thru the chassis. The tube is inexpensive, easy to fabricate, is smaller OD than any braided line can be, and very good at what it does.

Now as to what your inspectors are going to ask for, that is better left for the inspector to answer.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 8:36 pm 

So first of all, IMO you should really try to run hard piping (which you can get in SS) for as much of your runs as possible, only switching to braided lines where needed.

Second, here's an example of the brake lines I used: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

PostPosted: July 23, 2019, 12:49 am 

These lines are great.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

PostPosted: July 23, 2019, 8:40 pm 

The DOT spec only applies to the flex lines between the brakes and the chassis or body. You can run an AN flex line through the chassis if you want.

Ordinary AN lines meet all DOT standards except the "whip" test. Most of the car-related vendors have special fittings designed to meet DOT specs for that.