LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car lift install
PostPosted: December 29, 2019, 7:30 pm 

Done! Just need concrete.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: February 14, 2020, 11:22 am 

Any more updates on this project?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 14, 2020, 3:25 pm 

Do you have the post base plates? If so, you might look at imbedding the anchors in the concrete as you pour. You can make a plywood template to locate the anchors. I have often used "L" bolt anchors of the right diameter. You can get them typically at Home Depot, Lowes or and good hardware store. I would guess they are at least 1/2" if not larger bolts. Have the bolts stop down in the hole just short of the bottom about 1".
Attachment:
L anchor bolts.jpg

This gives the best pullout strength. You can drill and place expansion anchor bolts. But it is a pain to sometimes get them to grab.
Attachment:
Anchor Bolts.jpg

Good Luck!
Thom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 1:13 pm 

Oh crap yes it's progressing. I paid a concrete company $1k to come in and pour the concrete and smoother. Then one of my Contracting buddies drilled the holes but the issue was that we didn't have a guide to mark the holes and we just did it with a sharpie which made some of the holes off. They weren't off very much but the bolt that goes through the plate in the Base is almost the exact size of the hole in the base so the drilled holes would have to have been dead nuts to work right. Yesterday I opened up some of the holes on the plate with a few burrs and mounted everything.

Today I plan on putting fluid in the pump actuating it and then plutting the race car on to check fit ( I'm hoping I can position the race card just right so that we can park under it and still clear the door when it opens). Because my wife now has to park in the center of the garage, I have to move my workbench otherwise our Explorer touches it. :BH: but that's okay since I have plenty of room around the edges. Speaking of don't make fun of how messy my garage is right now!!

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 5:16 pm 

I was going to how nice your garage looks. My garage looks 10 times worse. I wish I had a two post lift but no head room. I hate my scissor lift. Russ

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 8:40 pm 

Boom!!!

Lifted all the way and I can still open the door.... barely. I may make some custom mounting points for the car to get it exactly where a want it but it works for now.

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 10:28 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I rain on parades, it's what I do.... Preface this with: I don't have a lift but would like to, but recently read on another forum that made me think.

A guy posted that he doesn't use his lift as much as he expected, but had planned to use it as you show it, for "storing" one car above another. He said that it ended up being a pain to go through the steps to use the second car: back out the "regular car", move it out of the way, get out, lower the car, swing the legs back, get in the car, back it out, and repeat on the way back. He said that after a while, it became enough of a process that he'd often just take the regular car since he was already in it.

OTOH, for servicing a car, or using it to pull engines, that's a pretty big perk.

Last edited by KB58 on February 17, 2020, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 10:43 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I rain on parades, it's what I do.... Preface this with: I don't have a lift but would like to, but recently read on another forum that made me think.

A guy posted that he doesn't use his lift as much as he expected, but had planned to use it as you show it, for "storing" one car above another. He said that it ended up being a pain (for him) to go through the steps to use the second car: back out the "regular car", move it out of the way, get out, lower the car, swing the legs back, get in the car, back it out, and repeat on the way back. He said that after a while, it became enough of a process that he'd often just take the regular car since he was already in it.

OTOH, for servicing a car, or using it to pull engines, that's a pretty big perk.

We considering that the race car really never runs... no big deal. :D

I usually park one car in the front anyway since it's hard to work on the race car with two cars in there. Now I have much more room.

The big issue will be when I want to put another car on the lift. I have a three car drive way but that's at the front of the house. What do I do with race car in the mean time?? Push it all the way around the block to the front of the house?? Time will tell.

But the good news is that it will be up there most of the winter while I do some chassis welding and redo the wiring harness. Then I will take her apart and powder coar the chassis.

PostPosted: February 17, 2020, 1:14 pm 

You'll only get in trouble if the race car decides to mark it's territory and drip on the Bimmer.

Oil isn't so bad, brake fluid is another story.
:cheers:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 22, 2020, 3:38 pm 

i have a question,
how are you going to attach the lift to the concrete slab?
if you place J bolts in the wet concrete will their positioning be accurate enough to place the posts on when installing?
if you use concrete anchors will you hit the rebar when drilling the holes?

the concrete beam is the best solution at a minimum of 12" deep and 6" outside the dimensions of the lift bases with no rebar in the top 6"under the column base, this must be a monolithic poor and use concrete anchors to secure, drill the holes deeper than the anchors to allow any dust to drop below the anchor, really clean out the holes before installing the anchors, allow concrete to cure for a month, after installation re tighten anchors and check periodically

i installed vehicle lifts for a living for many years and although i was not responsible for the foundations, i did see a lot of them, i saw a lot of rebar too close to the surface which prevented the use of concrete anchors, moving the lift back and forth to get a good hole, do not forget that if you move one post to get a good anchor hole you must move the other post the same amount, a real bummer if you just bolted it down.

i have had to cut off J bolts because they were in the wrong place and did not line up with the lift bases
and then try and get a concrete anchor in its place

use shims to set the posts vertical as required and a plumb line to check your work, a level is not accurate as i discovered when installing 6 lifts in a row, they all checked out with a level but when you looked down the row of twelve columns you could see they were not all the same, using a plumb line and re shimming resolved the issue.

just a few practical things to consider.

but we in it shall be remembered.