LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daniel's ranger 442
PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 3:22 pm 

I'm far enough along I figured I'd start a build log. This is my second foray into building a locost but I had to give up my first build when I moved to Alaska. This build is similar to my first one in that I'm using a 97 Ranger 2.3 motor and trans. I bought a97 Ranger, which had some issues, as a donor and will be using the rear axle as well. I may use the steering column too but I haven't decided. Like my first build im doing a Satchell link rear suspension, which required some modification to the plans. I haven't selected front spindles yet but I'm leaning towards Mustang II spindles (maybe drop spindles so i can push them further into the wheels and reduce scrub radius). Second time around is already going better as I have more space (900 sq ft shop) and a lot more tools. Unlike the first time I'm not married and I have more money to put into the project, without having to ask anyone. I'm tig welding the entire project (i do have a small lincoln mig welder but i really like tig). I am shooting for 140 hp when i get it on the street but eventually turboing it and shooting for 250-300. The car is mostly going to be for fun and autocross as there aren't any road courses here. Shooting for a finished weight of 1500. Tubing for the frame is 14ga as 16 is hard to find here and more expensive when you do. The floor and firewalls are going to be cold rolled 18ga with bead rolling and welded to the frame.

Post subject: Re: Daniel's ranger 442
PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 3:40 pm 

A few pics of progress. About 15 hours of work at this point. I have this week off so I'm adding some bracing in the trans tunnel then will weld the frame.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 4:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

Welcome back, Daniel! Hope things continue to go smoothly for you. Keep us posted on progress and keep the pictures coming!

One little thing, though...
Quote:
there aren't any road courses here
Google "Roebling Road Raceway"... It's just up the road near Pooler, GA.
*** EDIT*** Wait, are you still in Alaska? I saw Savannah GA under your name... My bad... Roebling is nowhere NEAR Alaska...

Peace, Love and RRR-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 4:27 pm 

JDK good catch, I fixed it. Though i do miss the autocross at roebling rd.

PostPosted: August 31, 2019, 9:29 pm 

Got most of the bracing tacked in. Gotta wait for a new blade for my evolution miter saw before I finish the rest. I have enough in that I'm comfortable welding the frame. I ordered mustang ii drop spindles and a bead roller (already spending my September budget). Once the frame is done I'll get the firewalls and floor done with bead rolling. October i'l be ordering all the components to build the suspension minus the coilovers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 1:16 am 

Frame is coming along. Everything forward of the rear bulkhead is welded (minus a couple of tight corner welds). Started working on the back and got it tacked in. Due to the satchel link suspension i had to change the back for clearance. I shortened the cockpit by 2" and extended the rear by 4. I had to move the y tube back 6 inches from the McSorley plans to clear the axle tube upper control arm mount. This provides over 3.5 inches of bound which is over what i expect to need. The roll bar plates, 3/16 thick, at the top of the rear bulkhead are tacked in. I'm going to add a couple of plates for some rear roll bar supports at that back. The rear suspension mounts aren't tacked in they are just perched there.

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 4:27 am 

Wrxconedodger wrote:
A few pics of progress. About 15 hours of work at this point.

Damn, are the hours longer in Alaska, cause that looks like about 100 hours for me. :lol:

Looking good!

PostPosted: September 5, 2019, 12:56 am 

John, building the first frame helped but also having certain tools like a rage evolution compound miter saw for cutting metal and also having planned this build for years helps. Im currently sitting at about 35 hours of work but i just received my spindles and have done figuring to do.

PostPosted: May 13, 2020, 6:25 pm 

Been spending time here and there on the build. Front suspension is figured. Engine and trans mounts are tracked in. Rack and pinion is shortened and mounted (2010 Camaro). Steering column shortened and mounted(85 gmc Sierra with tilt). I'm going to have to get a smaller wheel, it's currently 15.25". Started on the pedal box. Pedals will be custom but I will use the stock range clutch master cylinder. For the brake master cylinder I'm thinking of a 71-78 super beetle (13/16 bore) that uses a remote mount reservoir, because clutch and brake cylinders will be mounted low (floor mounted pedals). I am using a GM metric front caliper (2.375 bore) and stock late 90s mustang rear disc brakes. I'm going to shoot for 5:1 brake pedal ratio. I'll add some photos later.

PostPosted: May 13, 2020, 6:38 pm 

5 to 1 is acceptable for a pedal ratio. 6 to 1 would be more comfortable.

Been there. Worked my way up from 2.5 - 1. 6 is better.
Good build!

Cheers!

PostPosted: May 14, 2020, 1:07 am 

A few photos

PostPosted: May 14, 2020, 1:47 am 

Looking damn good. Love the engine mount!

Cheers