LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone using NRG seats?
PostPosted: March 14, 2023, 6:40 pm 

Hey guys. I've been trying to decide on seats for my project and I see a lot of people use the aluminum seats but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with fiberglass seats. I just found out these Defender and Shield are geared towards utv use and water resistant. There is some kind of suspension system in the Defender seat which im very interested about, what I really need to do is call around and ask if any shops have seats out I could sit in but in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 15, 2023, 10:03 am 

@MattR

I can't say anything about the particular seats you're interested in, Matt. However, be sure to check the available width of the cockpit for the chassis you have in mind. It will likely limit your choices to seats a maximum of 17"-18" inches, and for some of the older chassis versions, even less than that.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 15, 2023, 11:18 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The car is an aluminum seat. Any added seat assembly will take away room compared to the seating the seven was designed for. This can mean sitting higher, less leg room, less hip room, or all of these.

A marine upholstery shop could make custom seats for less than buying aftermarket but the foam should be higher density and thinner for the bottom cushion than a typical marine seat. Marine vinyl covering shaped foam stapled around the hidden side of a thin, plywood base located with velcro strips like aircraft cushions. Very simple and many more options for quality and variety than universal seats. They can be fancy like these (pic) or basic.

Sliders and seat backs that don't match the rear wall angle both reduce the space available.

If you are building a bigger seven that will need to accommodate tall and short drivers, get seats and fit a driver side slider.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 15, 2023, 7:57 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
The car is an aluminum seat. Any added seat assembly will take away room compared to the seating the seven was designed for. This can mean sitting higher, less leg room, less hip room, or all of these.

A marine upholstery shop could make custom seats for less than buying aftermarket but the foam should be higher density and thinner for the bottom cushion than a typical marine seat. Marine vinyl covering shaped foam stapled around the hidden side of a thin, plywood base located with velcro strips like aircraft cushions. Very simple and many more options for quality and variety than universal seats. They can be fancy like these (pic) or basic.

Sliders and seat backs that don't match the rear wall angle both reduce the space available.

If you are building a bigger seven that will need to accommodate tall and short drivers, get seats and fit a driver side slider.

I was thinking I would need some kind of safety bucket seat I had never considered anything else. I've since been looking at what original 7's have going on and yeah its just like a split bench seat. I'm making my own frame to fit my body/running gear and I think my best course is probably making my own seat now