LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 18, 2024, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 8:59 pm 

5.7" arms are pretty long. I am still thinking Mustang II or Chevette/Fiero spindles with a steering arm length of 4.8" to 4.6". I will have to do the math. I don't think I can get shorter steering arms. I know Appleton will mod the rack for me if I need something different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 10:21 pm 

Update for Memorial Day.

Commited to Mustang II spindles. Plan on redrilling the front hubs to match the rear RX-7 hubs. I figured it would be easier to redrill front Mustang hubs than pulling the RX-7 axles.

Got the build table done. About 6 hrs labor and $45 in materials. Nice and flat with levelers on the legs.

Started with the cart to hold the finished frame during the assembly phase. Good chance to work on fit-up and welding practice with the light gauge steel. I have never welded 16 gauge steel, only 1/8 inch and thicker. Wasn't hard, just clamp everything tack and go, aternating sided to side. I got the welder and "weldor" dialed in now. Took about 4 hours to finish the cart. I think I will start a written log book of my build time. I have 10 hours into this and haven't started my frame yet. Slow and steady she goes....

With the chassis cart complete, time to get down to business and start the frame...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17, 2008, 9:15 pm 

Father's Day update. Frame tacked. Looking at about 16 hours work. Measure twice, cut once, then repeat...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17, 2008, 9:17 pm 

OK. I've seen this pose a million times. This time it's ME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17, 2008, 11:11 pm 

It's a great moment, that's why we see it so often. ;) Next step: Roller!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17, 2008, 11:46 pm 

I remember my first time in that pose. it was a great feeling to imagine the car around me. best of luck on your build

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 9:57 pm 

Update. Getting along on the frame. A buddy helped out with his tube bender. You need a legitimate tube bender with the right size dies. I tried the HF pipe kinker, take it from me, it kinks pipe. The roll bar front and rear hoop is .095 wall seamless. Sturdy stuff. I am down to the tunnel design and additional bracing in the engine bay and other places.

Last edited by locofinn on July 28, 2008, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:11 pm 

Big Fat Sticky Tires. Other SCCA D-modified guys gave these to me for chassis design and setup. I might even get a few runs out of them. Plenty of tread left.

Last edited by locofinn on July 28, 2008, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:16 pm 

I intend to utilize readymade drive shaft safety hoops from A&A Manufacturing. They are 1/4 flat steel hoops. I need these to be compliant with SCCA rules if I intend to run race slicks. Along with the hoops I need a explosion proof bellhousing or sheilding that meets SFI regulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:21 pm 

Another view of where the driveshaft hoops will go. I plan on building the driveline tunnel around these hoops. They measure about 5.5" wide. I will just roll the aluminium over the hoops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:32 pm 

Other Sevens in the class I intend to compete in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:33 pm 

Another

Last edited by locofinn on July 28, 2008, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:36 pm 

Another view of Del Long's seven from a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2008, 8:56 pm 

Update on frame. Finally finished the roll bar bracing.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2008, 8:59 pm 

Another view of the frame from front. Notice the offset of the driveline to the passenger side. Extra room for me and better balance for the chassis overall.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next