LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26, 2008, 7:06 pm 

Ive been searching for a miata for way to long and have decided to stop looking for one and start looking for a different path. I found one and I"m going to step (jump) into a new and different way of building a locost, middy power!

I want to have over 200hp and have for a donor that will give me that and more. So Im in the works to buy an infiniti I30. It has a 190hp VQ30de V6 and with minor mods can make well over 230hp NA.

My pan is to use the stock nissan front clip and mount it to the 442 chassis much like the miata guys mate the irs to the chassis. The car will be an auto (since a five speed will be a nighmare to hook up the shift linkages). Body styling will be a hybrid of locost front mets At-om rear with no change in the front end length or styling.

The interior will be sized differently with a much smaller tunel to run the fuel lines and collent lines. I plan to have heated seats and a heater! The radiator will be mounted in the front and just behind that will be the fuel cell and battery. So weight distrubition should stay pretty similar with a bias toward the rear.

For guages I'll use the stock infiniti gauges alond with an aftermarket fuel gauge. And for reading I'll buy the Kimini build book.

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2008, 3:14 am 

You know the VQ30de will bolt up to a 350z manual tranny, no problem. You can find these transmissions relatively cheaply too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2008, 9:15 am 

killernoodle wrote:
You know the VQ30de will bolt up to a 350z manual tranny, no problem. You can find these transmissions relatively cheaply too.

Yes but going middy solves the speedo issues, solves building a rear end, solves the foot room issues and gives more storage space under the hood. Plus its cheaper!

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2008, 5:00 pm 

Something to think about regarding shift linkages...how hard is it to do something like this with cables and/or hydraulics?

My Speed3 had a cable-shifted linkage, and it worked decently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2008, 8:14 pm 

fourthmeal wrote:
Something to think about regarding shift linkages...how hard is it to do something like this with cables and/or hydraulics?

My Speed3 had a cable-shifted linkage, and it worked decently.

Being an auto transmission it should use cables like my other infiniti. I imagine its as simple as making the cable longer and running to the passenger compartment. I may be over simplifing but I think it shouldn't be two hard.

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 2:18 pm 

Oh, I was alluding to the use of a manual via the cable system.

You mentioned that the reason for going auto was because of the nightmare getting the linkages to work..but a cable-operated setup would make that much less so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 5:08 pm 

If its a cable operated manual it shouldn't be too hard to utilize the stock shifter assembly, correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 6:41 pm 

killernoodle wrote:
If its a cable operated manual it shouldn't be too hard to utilize the stock shifter assembly, correct?

Thats what I'm thinking. For now though since the donor is an auto I'll stick with that. Plus I found a new product called the SupraStick which allows me to program the shift points and shift the transmission like an auto-manuel.

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 3:44 pm 

So here are pics of the $500 donor I'm picking up.

Looks like a great deal. A lot of engine for cheap. The car doesn't look to be in that bad of shape either, kinda of a shame whats going to happen next. I also emailed A-dapt-it USA for a quote to adapter the I30's 5x114.3 to 4x100 for my wheels.

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 4:45 pm 

I'm tracking your progress because the engine (the VQ) just appeals to me in so many ways for my own version (front engined though.) Good luck with your project and keep the pics rolling in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7, 2008, 11:18 pm 

Well I got the I30 home today. It starts and moves under its own power albeit a dead battery. The trunk was full of water, but non the less its home. In the interest of not making my house into a junkyard Ive decided to take a fasttrack pace in stripping this car. IE everything is coming out this week. I'll start with the engine and would my way back placing everything into neat and tidy little piles of wires and car parts.

Once all the systems are out of the car, electric, cooling, interior, steering etc then I'll start choping at the front clip to remove the susepsnion supports and frame rails. Then once I'm sure I've removed everything its off to the crusher. Then to recoupe my costs I'll begen wildly selling everything unnessarsy on ebay.

Should be good times.

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7, 2008, 11:57 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Stripping a car can be a lot of fun, especially if you have a SawzAll. Might even get it done in one day. It's a completely different mindset when you realize you just don't care any more. That is, if the fender's in the way of getting the engine out, cut it off. If the dash is hard to remove, crowbar it. Very liberating. It gives some appreciation of why building demolition workers have such high job satisfaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8, 2008, 9:23 am 

If you need the fsm you can download it here. www.nicoclub.com/FSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8, 2008, 2:11 pm 

The Converted wrote:
If you need the fsm you can download it here. www.nicoclub.com/FSM

Already got it from Phatg20 thanks though!

evo

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8, 2008, 8:33 pm 

Got some progress done today. Got the radiator out and got the car into the garage. You think you have a small space to work in check out mine. Can you spot my frame?

One nice thing about the nissan is the suspension all can come out in one piece and the engine sits infront of the drive axles making ideal for mid engine use.

evo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next