LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7, 2008, 1:24 pm 

You're flyin' now! Good work, everything looks great. At the rate you've been going you'll make short work of that wiring. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7, 2008, 6:38 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

chetcpo wrote:
you'll make short work of that wiring. :)

What a terrible thing to say!

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7, 2008, 9:36 pm 

dhempy wrote:
What...no dancing, white boy?

The dancing was in the back of my mind when I started the engine. I didn't want to embarrass myself, so the dancing came after the camera was off. Your more of a man than me Dave, to be able to dance like you do.

chetcpo wrote:
At the rate you've been going you'll make short work of that wiring

You've jinxed it now! Its going to take me all winter to get the wiring working for me...

The thing that sucks the most, is that my Dad is an electrical engineer, and knows so much about electrical circuits. The reason it sucks, is because he is no help to me because he knows nothing about cars and refuses to have anything to do with it. If I had his brain, it would make this electrical so much easier. Oh wait, Halloween is over..... can't think about taking his brain.... :twisted:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 12:00 am 

Sorry I didn't mean to put a hex on you. :) That's funny my dad is an EE as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 12:29 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Dad is an electrical engineer, and knows so much about electrical circuits. The reason it sucks, is because he is no help to me because he knows nothing about cars and refuses to have anything to do with it.

It's frustrating, but it's not really EE material. It's more plumbing, pressure and flow, voltage and current. He might get frustrated with cars, you can be a genius at some electronics, but only barely a leg up for how a car works. My Dads an EE, but mostly it's math for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 1:44 am 

A few years ago, I rebuilt my 1977 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser. I added an aluminum body, a Chevy V-8, 4 wheel discs, front and rear lockers, and a bunch of other stuff. It came down to getting the wiring finished and I was at a loss as to what I needed to do. I bought a Painless Wiring harness and did the whole truck in one day. It had extra curciuts for EFI, air conditioning, electric fan, basically anything you wanted to add. I never used any of those as my truck didn't have that. The plan for my Locost is to just do the same thing. I'll need the ECU wiring from the donor and that's about it. The Painless harness will have everything else that's needed on the car. It was cheap and easy. I'll get on their website and just track down a compatible harness and go from there. I may even ditch the stock ECU wiring and get an engine swap conversion wiring kit to make it even easier. It's a little more expensive but it makes for a cleaner install.

SamM

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 10:59 am 

Quote:
It's frustrating, but it's not really EE material. It's more plumbing, pressure and flow, voltage and current. He might get frustrated with cars, you can be a genius at some electronics, but only barely a leg up for how a car works. My Dads an EE, but mostly it's math for him.

Ya, I guess your right.

Quote:
The Painless harness will have everything else that's needed on the car. It was cheap and easy.

I have looked at Painless wiring kits, and I'm looking at $1400 for one for my mustang. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRF-65120&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I would LOVE to get that system, but it is just way too much. My daily driver is worth less than that. (Geo metro :roll:)

If the kit was about $500, I would buy it.

Is there something else that Painless has that I'm missing?

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 11:21 am 

I'm doing a trany swap in my build as well. The mustang I bought came with an automatic, and I bought a used 5 speed to replace it. There are only 2 wires coming out of the 5 speed, which are most likely both for the reverse lights. (haven't checked yet). The wiring harness I have for the automatic has 4 wires.

This would be another reason to go with the Painless system, because I wouldn't confuse the computer by using a different transmission. I've also heard that the engine will hesitate when it thinks the transmission will shift. It may also cause other problems too. I don't yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 11:29 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

maxlessca wrote:
I have looked at Painless wiring kits, and I'm looking at $1400 for one for my mustang. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRF-65120&N=700+115&autoview=sku

$1400?!?! :shock: That's INSANE!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 3:13 pm 

dhempy wrote:
maxlessca wrote:

$1400?!?! :shock: That's INSANE!

-dave

Nothing painles about that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 10:31 pm 

Things went really well on my car tonight. I should be studying for exams right now, but I just couldn't wait to see my engine run off the injectors. I've got no pictures today, because I just didn't care.

First, I made a baffle out of aluminum to cover the float in my fuel tank. It is to prevent the foam in the tank from hitting the float. I then put in 4 pieces of fuel safe foam to help prevent sloshing. I pulled out the fuel fittings I bought a year ago, and starting plumbing everything. Now, I have 2 fuel filters. The old one I got with the car and a new one I bought. I decided to use the old one for the first dozen runs of the engine, so that the fuel system would be relatively clean before I put the new filter in.

As soon as the fittings were in place, I was ready for a test. I have never wanted to go to the gas station so bad in my life! I raced to the gas station, bought some premium, raced home and filled up the fuel cell.

To my surprise, as soon as I started up the fuel pump, I jet of gas started shooting out from the back of my car! I quickly unplugged the battery and inspected the area. It turned out to be my fuel filter. It somehow got a hole in it :roll:

A quick change of the filters, and I was ready for the first try. It took a couple tries to get the motor running. When I did get it running, it was screaming at maybe 4000rpm and it refused to idle. After letting it run for about 2mins, I shut it off and looked things over. I plugged all my vacuum lines (forgot about that) and I added my MAF sensor to my intake. I started it up again, and after running for minute or two, it settled down and started running rather well.

The good thing about it being -10C (25F) outside, is that I can run my engine a bit longer, before I need to shut it off and let it cool. (Still no cooling system, or exhaust hooked up yet).

I am still not able to start the engine from the key. I am starting it by hooking the starter motor directly to the battery. This is another video I made for you guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL7YeOwMkhI

:lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 11:23 pm 

Sounds good. I know there are plenty of quick 7's with 4 cyl engines, but you have to love the sound and feel of a V-8.
I am using the aluminium Caddy V-8 out of my Fiero in my build.

Gene

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 12:36 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Suh-weet!

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 10:38 am 

Who needs exhaust pipes? That thing sounds so Sweet! Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 6:03 pm 

Wow, I've heard of inflation but that's crazy! My Painless wiring harness was around $200.

SamM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next