LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 8:23 am 

How many miles have you logged on your bike engined car?

What is the highest mileage you have heard of someone else getting out of a bike engine in a car?

Anyone on a sport bike forum?
What kind of miles do they get from a sport bike engine before it needs a rebuild?

I know there is a lot of things to take into account here I'm just looking for general info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 4:15 pm 

According to rumor, after 100k its wore plumb out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 7:41 pm 
The voice of reason

Used to have a GS1100 and it sort of wore out around 45k miles. Probably would have gone further, but other things wore out too, so it wasn't worth fixing up. The cam became spalled and the bearings were going. My recollection is the cam rides directly in the head, so would have had to replace that too.

That would be a lot of track use, or even Locost use though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16, 2008, 8:15 pm 
Always Moore!

When we were buying FSAE engines, we usually wouldn't go beyond 12k miles. Considering the engines were going to get hammered for the rest of their lives (not much unlike a locost), it didn't seem worth it saving a few bucks just to get a high mileage engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 2:45 am 

I'm on SBN (the sportbike network)

My bike is still strong as ever after 30k of hard riding; this includes the clutch with has happily withstood many passes at the drag strip and even more clutch-up wheelies.

There is a '93 ducati monster 900 on the forums with over 158k on it (still riding around too), and ducatis are well known for being a PITA to maintain. There is 80k on a ZR7, an old honda with 288k, an F4i with 144k+, several other bikes with over 100k.

Generally, sportbike engines will last a good while as long as they're maintained. Put in some shell rotella synthetic all their lives and they'll stay fresh. Give her the old italian tune-up every once in a while and don't lug the engine around and it'll be happy.

The reason you don't see many with high miles is they usually get wadded up before they break down :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 11:03 am 

at 50k or so u can really feel a lose in a little bit of power, but the engines will hold up to 100k before a segnificant drop in power or a piston goinng

Education Is The Most Effective Form Of Rebellion

Is that what happens to us? A life of conflict with no time for friends… so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses.
For my own part, regret nothing. Have lived life, free from compromise ... and step into the shadow now without complaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 11:18 am 

i put 42k on my 04 R6 before selling it. Stock clutch and all. I probably did nearly 20 trackdays, 100 passes at the drag strip, countless canyon runs, millions of minutes in high RPMs, way too many clutch up wheelies, 3 crashes, and a whole ton more abuse. I dyno'd it right before selling it and i put down +2 hp / -1 trq compared to another 04 R6 with 3k miles.

On the yamaha forums, with regular care, ive seen people with 70-100k and still going. They were built to hit high RPM's often, but that will wear on any engine. Key is to just keep consistant with maintaining it.

Ive never driven/ridden anything that was so consistant and reliable.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.