LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:34 am 

We updated the forum software due to potential security issues. I hope you folks like this, because it's what we'll be running for a while. By the way any posts made after 8:30PM Eastern were likely lost. Maybe a lot more, I haven't had time to survey the damage yet. Sorry for the inconvenience. Let's try and pick up where we left off. :)

*edit* added the info below.
If you hate the new look then go to your user control panel and change the style setting to "subsilver2."
*edit* I just deactivated the Prosilver style since it was so universally disliked.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:41 am 

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the new look...But keeping the site secure is more important than some things I can probably get used to with a bit of time.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:47 am 

Driven5 wrote:
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the new look...But keeping the site secure is more important than some things I can probably get used to with a bit of time.

It had to be done. PHPBB2 got hacked hard. Just try and access their main site. http://phpbb.com the failure is explained on area 51 as follows:
Quote:
Downtime and Server Compromise
by Marshalrusty » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:04 am

As you may already be aware from the message on phpBB.com or the topic in the #phpBB channel on Freenode, we have recently been attacked via a vulnerability in an outdated PHPList installation. The initial attack was performed well before a new version of the software was released or a patch provided. It is important to stress that no vulnerabilities have been found in the phpBB software itself.

We took area51.phpBB.com down along with phpBB.com to ensure integrity and prevent further damage. While we actively work to bring phpBB.com back online, we would also like to inform you of the damage that has been done.

The attacker gained entry through the PHPList application and was able to dump a complete backup of the emails on file. He then used the same exploit to access the phpBB.com database. Both the email list from PHPlist and a copy of the phpBB.com users table were then posted publicly.

Since I used the same username and password with my phpbb account I thought it was wise that I immediately change my password and update to the newer software package for everyone's sake. Yes it sucks, but I hope we can adapt and overcome in time.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 2:07 am 

Anyone else in the military ever hear the saying "if someone isn't bitching there is something wrong". Well I'm gonna be the one...I don't like the look either. Security comes first I agree, but are there other templates of "skins" available to use? I know some forums allow each user to customize how it looks (such as usa7s.com) Just a suggestion. :D Oh, the forum does seem to be responding faster which is good. Oh and why is my avatar on the right hand side? What do you think this is? The UK? :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 9:49 am 

Not the biggest fan of the setup, but ill get used to it. After starting my own forum and running it for 2 years i feel for you guys running it. It really is a big job that takes way more time then anyone knows. I cant even tell you how many times i got pulled away from personal things by frantic phone calls that the boards were down. There like peoples lifelines, if there up people are happy, if they change people are mad, if they go down people are mad. If you worked everyday just to make each and everyone happy in this would you would be waisting your time.

Kudos to sacrificing your time for the website and to staying on top of things by keeping the security up to date. :cheers:

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:01 am 

Hey Chet, As I said on the post under a different subject...I ainn't crazy 'bout this, but hey I AM crazy about the list, and I will probably get in trouble at work someday for taking a peek at the lsit instead of doing some meaningless paperwork.

I am sure that I will get used to a lot of the stuff...mostly I don't like the things on the right instead of the left, and at least on my computer the font is too small for my old eyes... I'll work with it.
Thanks for keeping the list up.

Joe G.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:11 am 

If you detest this new board style don't despair, there are options. I think once everyone learns their way around they will like it. Log in and click on your "user control panel." It allows you to set all your preferences, track your posts and attachments and even change the "style" of the board. The default that you guys are giving rave reviews is Prosilver. If you don't like it and (like me) prefer the old style (subsilver) there is the option of viewing the board in the "new" subsilver style. Appropriately named "subsilver2."

Anyone who needs assistance getting the old subsilver style back just ask here in this thread.

Also if anyone lost a post or notices a problem with the conversion please post here.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:52 am 

Hats off to your hard work--kudos-always a great board

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:56 am 

Any links to other threads in this board are going to point to the old board which I just disabled. This evening I will delete that database and change the name of this database to match the former one. Once that happens the links should work again and I can disable the redirect I set up for the forum index.

Thanks for your understanding.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 12:12 pm 

OK, I just disabled the redirect from locostusa.com/forums(old site) to locostusa.com/forum3. (the new site) I then changed the names of the directorys in the filesystem so hopefully links will work as they should and folks can navigate here through search engine links etc.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 12:19 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

One thing you lose going from phpBB 2.0 to 3.0.x is the auto-thumbnail mod you had. I use this same version of phpBB and would like to find a similar mod. This will explain why IMG-tagged images will get a lot bigger now.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:03 pm 

We're tough. We can handle it!

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:05 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
If you detest this new board style don't despair, there are options. I think once everyone learns their way around they will like it. Log in and click on your "user control panel." It allows you to set all your preferences, track your posts and attachments and even change the "style" of the board. The default that you guys are giving rave reviews is Prosilver. If you don't like it and (like me) prefer the old style (subsilver) there is the option of viewing the board in the "new" subsilver style. Appropriately named "subsilver2."

Ahhhh yes....subsilver is much easier on my eyes. Also some of the user control panel features do seem like they will be nice. The mentioned auto-thumbnail feature was also a very nice thing that I hope we can get again.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:07 pm 

KB58 wrote:
One thing you lose going from phpBB 2.0 to 3.0.x is the auto-thumbnail mod you had. I use this same version of phpBB and would like to find a similar mod. This will explain why IMG-tagged images will get a lot bigger now.

orly? :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:40 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Really :wink: That's for attachements... when someone embedds a picture using IMG tags it gets cropped instead of thumbnailed. I'm still looking for a mod that really works (for phpBB 3.0.4)

(And I'm surprised it works without a path the ImageMagick)