LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 1:57 am 

Might be possible, but not as cheap, to buy 2 180* aluminum bends and cut them to shape (2-90's out of each) and use innercooler style connector hoses to connect it all? Just a thought if the PVC fails.

I know my 04 R6 used to run a consistant 186* while moving and jump up to 208* at lights. My 05 R1 runs a bit warmer at around 190* and 215 at lights(legs get grilled by undertail exhaust lol ). Bikes vary a bit from model to model on their temp ranges like my buddies 06 R6 would run 195/220.

Honestly as long as the air in there is moving a bit, I think the PVC will be fine. Ill check but I'm pretty sure my R6's ram air tubes were PVC and they were right above the motor and they were fine.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 3:18 am 

Exactly, as long as there is airflow around them, there isn't going to be a problem. Think about how many cars use plastic intake manifolds nowadays with no problems.

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 3:40 am 

Yea agreed on the flow, but plastics greatly differ on their properties. Take PolyPro and Nylon for example. At melting point polypro will run with a very low viscosity, where as nylon has a very high viscosity making it much more difficult to mold. Nylon can take a much higher temp then polypro can without diforming. Its all about the properties and chemical structures of the material.

Enough on the materials lesson. I say give it a try and report back!

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 10:46 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Not trying to challenge you, but I have enough experience on bikes and racing at the track to know what I'm talking about.

I used to love the smell of Castrol in the air, it meant I had a chance to try and chase down a bike. I don't know how many g's a formula ford can pull, but it's a lot more then a bike. It also brakes much later going into turns. That's the big thing to watch for, a bike rider gets on the brakes 100 feet or more before me.

Once I got to chase down an F1 bike from europe, but will admit it was a journalist riding it. The real rider was a nice guy, but he did say "wouldn't have been so easy with me on it!"... :D

This was a short 1.6 mile track, certainly anyplace with some room a fast bike would run away from me.

Loved the smell of Castrol in the morning...

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 11:49 am 

Yea I agree with higher G's and corner speed, it was shown in the F1 v.MotoGP bike race. What kind of lap times can you turn in that foormula v. Your locost or others you know? Ibe be curious to compare lap times of the 3

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 3:43 pm 

Its true that a fast car will beat a fast bike any day on the track, as long as its not mostly straights :)

Still though, in a performance/performance factor, the bike will always win and even if you're going slower on it, it definitely feels faster and more exciting.

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 6:17 pm 

I agree I'm sure a bike would feel faster but it's hard to argue with the added contact patch twice as many tires gives you. The Stacks on a stock Busa are rubber so I'm not expecting too many issues with melting. There's is a quite a difference between water temps and under hood temps. I sure hope it won't collapse under vacuum. The filter should flow well enough to avoid that (the opposite of putting your hand over your vacuum instead put like a sock or something.) The reason I want to seperate the plenum is so there would be less volume therefore it should build pressure quicker no?

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 7:03 pm 

a quick $.02 worth- the vacume to worry about is not at the filters, its under the butterflies. in the tubes themselves. the highest vacume reading will be when the throttle is closed from a higher rpm. i'm done

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 7:46 pm 

I will rev the engine by hand at operating temp and look to make sure. I try to think of it as your household vacuum the tube will be under the most vacuum when the open end is blocked I think which it won't ever be. Thanks for your comments never even considered that being a problem.