LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roll bar supplier
PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 9:11 pm 

Roll-over bar:
Dont know if anyone else found this out, but as I had good luck, I will post it.
I got my roll bar and uprights from Rollcagecomponents.com who are in Powhatan VA. Very good value, I think I paid $85 delivered. Jim who I spoke to was really helpful and it was very quick delivery. Custom bends, all coped out tubing work nice.

To be clear, I only had them make me a roll bar hoop and uprights running down the back next to the tank. That was $85 delivered, not a roll cage.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by chubbyhubby on March 11, 2009, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Roll cage
PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 10:24 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

chubbyhubby wrote:
Very good value, I think I paid $85 delivered.

Huh? :shock: What did you get for $85?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 7:21 pm 

'Roll bar and uprights' for $85, you need a picture?
Standard locost design, 1 3/4"OD x 0.093 wall tube.

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 10:11 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Ah...that makes more sense. You might want to edit your first post and change the title from "roll cage" to "roll bar".

BTW, that still sounds like a good price! Good on ya!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 8:47 pm 

Dave
Fair comment, I will change it. I have just about finished (is that possible) my build and I learnt a lot from forums like this so I thought I should give back what I could.
These guys did a good job so you reward good work, right?
Craig

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 12:23 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Looks good, Craig! You'll have to post some more photos.

Always good to hear positive supplier reports...folks seem more inclined to post after negative experiences.

Is that ERW or DOM tube?

-dave

Post subject: Re: Roll bar supplier
PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 12:43 am 

Sadly, when you are happy just smile and go on. When you are angry, you post everywhere you can. Especially in my case :P

In all seriousness thats a heckuva deal. My 8ft section of 1.5 DOM .95wall ended up costing me 80 bucks to have it shipped to my house. And then the 2 12packs of beer I paid a local autox guy to help me bend/weld them to my chassis for door bars.

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 8:46 am 

Gentlemen, you are right, it was a deal.
I called Rollcagecomponents and chatted with Jim and told him what I wanted. Sent him a CAD drawing of it. Called him back and he was all appologetic that he could not get the price lower. I told him that I thought the price was great already, and the comment was 'all I am trying to do is make a living'.
Hence the post. If I can help him do that (especially the way the the economy is today) then great.

This is electrical resistance weld tube, not drawn over mandrel.

PostPosted: March 16, 2009, 3:16 am 

I've talked with Jim (Jimmy to me, since we're both in the roll bar trade and we're pals) at some length these last few days, he's not quite as inexpensive to me as he was to chubbyhubby, maybe he now has a better grasp of his costs plus I want roll bars with diagonals, they're going to be within a few bucks of $110 for a 4 tube (hoop, diagonal, two uprights) 1-1/2" ERW roll bar kit. Absolutely amazing, and literally cheaper than I can get the tubing to my shop, cut to length for the various components, and get a box built to ship them out again. It's like he's doing the bending and fishmouthing for free. He has the advantages of closer proximity to a steel mill, higher quantities, etc etc but it's still pretty dang amazing.

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 1:00 pm 

I just finished with ordering my roll bar kit from Roll Cage Components. Mine is a 4 tube design. One 40.5” wide by 20 inch tall hoop; one cross diagonal and 2 trailing supports running straight to the lower plate in the rear section. The trailing supports meet the hoop in the outer radius about 4-1/2 inches from the top horizontal in order to clear the W1 and W2 tubes. This joint location allows me to meet the min 30 degree requirement for the trailing supports. It is all made from 1-1/2” x .095” wall HREW steel. It meets the requirements of the Midwest Council GCR's. Now I've got to make sure my car is under 1500 lbs.

Jimmy quoted a 105 + shipping cost. He is very interested in seeing more business from the Locost community. I'll report on the kit when I receive it late next week.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 5:34 pm 

I received the roll bar pieces from Roll Cage Components on Friday Jul 24th. That is 10 days from order to delivery. They were delivered via FedEx. They were taped together and had no further packaging. I guess FedEx had to worry about the other packages being damaged more that these things. They were undamaged and saved a bit of landfill at the same time. I'm very happy with the quality of the material and the work. I admit I was a little bit hesitant not knowing what to expect with regards to the finish of HREW. I know that hot rolled 1x1 sq tube is nasty stuff. The steel used here was as a smooth as a baby's.... In my design, I left the length of the rear supports an inch or two long and did not have the angle cut to match the rear mounting plates. This was done to leave a bit of adjustment on my end, if required. All I had to do was to line things up and cut the angle. Everything else fit just right.

1st, I tack welded the upright to the upper shock perches. Then added the diagonal. Then I trimmed the ends of the rear supports and tacked them into place. Everything was perfect. I then finsh-welded the rest of the welds and got the frame painted. I drilled a couple of holes in the shock perch under the roll bar upright just in case I want to add a 3rd brakelight. I can run the wires up thru the center of the roll bar.

I am a very happy camper and highly recommend Jimmy @ Roll Cage Components. Thanks for the recommendation Craig (and Jack?). My design was a bit different than Craigs so the cost was a bit more. Even so it is a very Locost solution if you don't have access to a tube bender.

Here is a pic of the finished product.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766