Forget SCCA instead look for local car clubs like S2000's, Porsche, BMW, Vette, etc. They will put on a much better show than SCCA and give you much more seat time and usually longer runs than SCCA.
At the local SCCA you are lucky to get 2 minutes worth of seat time all day and yet with my local S2000 club I get almost 2 minute runs each time X 8 plus we get as many fun runs as we can fit in at the end of the day.
I gotta say something here.
1. True, the Marque Clubs offer more seat time. Seat time is valuable to a beginner. I run with the Miata club, Porsche club, BMW, and Audi club locally and get a lot more runs than my SCCA club by far.
1. In my Local experience SOME of the above Marque clubs have less than desirable course designs with some features and operations downright unsafe.
2. After 6 or 7 runs on the same course, improvement declines and you start repeating errors and reinforcing bad habits without instruction. Boredom sets in for me, and I just wear out rubber. It is the main reason at the higher level of SCCA competition you need to get it done in 3 runs. It is the whole point of the game. Imagine if you were golfing and got 3 or 4 mulligans for every tee shot.
3. Classing structure is loved and
hated in SCCA. Loved by those who are serious competitors and want the driver and car prep shine through. Hated by those who are not big on rules and want to collect trophies earned or not. My SCCA trophies mean something to me. The other clubs trophies I get are easy to obtain and I collect in a box somewhere.
4. As far as putting on a "better show", this is in the eye of the entrant and what they are looking for.
Yes, I am a SCCA autocrosser, driven at the National level, and would not trade the fairness, friendship, and fun of the SCCA Club, people, and solo program.