LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's 5.0 v8 Build
PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 12:37 pm 

^^ I think you win "most emoticons in one post".

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 7:33 pm 

Quote:
Just be wary of it and respect it while you learn its traits; it's got more than enough power to get yourself in a world of hurt - or jail.

Yes.... I know. Speed is over rated anyways.

I was out for a drive today, and I turned down 2 different guys who wanted to race me. As fun as it may sound, I'm not interested in street racing. My GF's brother died in a car accident, so I'm careful how I drive.

As long as its not raining this Sunday, I plan to take the car to the track for an Open Lapping day. I'll be able to push it a bit on the track, to see what it can do. That should be pretty exciting.

toylocost wrote:
^^ I think you win "most emoticons in one post".

I feel special now :mrgreen: Thanks Dave

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 8:30 pm 

Congratulations Jon

Going to have set a time up to come over some time or if you need to make an excuse to go for a drive you could head out this way, any how working 6 days a week so sunday is my only day off and I have been invited to meet with a bunch of metal bangers on sunday afternoons, they want start me off with forming my nosecone out of aluminum right away but I think thats jumping in to quick, going to start with the scuttle.
what track will you be going to ??, and hard to belive you go to school work on building this car and have a girl friend ???.

John

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 9:14 pm 

cruzzinn wrote:
Going to have set a time up to come over some time or if you need to make an excuse to go for a drive you could head out this way, any how working 6 days a week so sunday is my only day off and I have been invited to meet with a bunch of metal bangers on sunday afternoons, they want start me off with forming my nosecone out of Aluminium right away but I think thats jumping in to quick, going to start with the scuttle.
what track will you be going to ??, and hard to belive you go to school work on building this car and have a girl friend ???.

PM sent

I am going to Toronto Motorsports park. They have their season opener this weekend. It is $80 for a day of lapping, and this price includes 1 pass down the drag strip, from my understanding. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

Yes, I have school full-time, I've had a girlfriend for 1.5 years, I work part-time (6hours/ week), and I built a car. My girlfriend is very supportive, and lets me work on the car without a fuss. I also try to be efficient with my time, and I make time whenever possible to work on the car. If I only had 30mins of free time in a day, I would be in the garage, even if it was to just tidy things up.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 9:30 pm 

Sounds like a good deal to me, your going to have a blast, looking forward of some pics from the day, are there going to be any ???
John

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 9:58 pm 

Yes, there should be pictures. My girlfriend is going along to watch, and hopefully, she will have nothing better to do, than to take pictures and/or videos

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 4:32 pm 
The voice of reason

This is awesome. Take it easy first day at the track. Use low tire pressures. Maybe arrange for someone else to drive home. You may be pretty mentally flat lined by end of day.

Carefull if your using a trailer. One friend in hospital and another fellow I knew died just handling their race car trailers..

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 5:03 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
This is awesome. Take it easy first day at the track. Use low tire pressures. Maybe arrange for someone else to drive home. You may be pretty mentally flat lined by end of day.

Carefull if your using a trailer. One friend in hospital and another fellow I knew died just handling their race car trailers..

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about letting someone else drive home, but it is probably the best idea. I will be trailering the car, because I have no idea what to expect on Sunday. I'm hoping that nothing goes wrong on the car. What happened with your friend and the trailer? I'm very curious now...

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 7:37 pm 

I went to the track for the first time yesterday, and I had a blast! I can't wait to go again! Read all about it here: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6513

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 7:55 pm 

Well I am sure I am not the only one here green with envy, congrats, well done.
Al

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 8:13 pm 
-the man.

The "let someone else drive" is a great idea Jon. I never had a problem when towing home. But I usually left my car at the track on Sat. night and drove home without the trailer. My wife would remind me every few miles to watch my speed, you feel like you're creeping. I still got pulled over more than once. Oklahoma Troopers have a pretty good sense of humor because I think every time I got stopped I was wearing my racing suit. Never got a ticket. They always asked me how I did today. And I always replied, "Kinda depends on you." They always gave me a warning.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 8:35 pm 

Its been a while since I`ve posted on my build log. The final month of school (April) was very busy for me, and I only worked on the car for about 3 hours the whole month. I didn`t even drive it for 2 weeks, due to a lack of time :o Now that school is over, I am working full-time. Without homework to slow me down, I am able to work on the Locost quite a bit. In the last week, I have worked on the Locost for over 50 hours! Wahoo!

I have been working so much on the Locost, because I am trying to get it ready for a bit trip of mine. I will be going up to my grandparent`s cottage this weekend with the Locost, and it is a 1200KM (750mile) drive round trip. In order to get ready for that, I have been working on making a convertible top for the car. I was originally going to get a boat shop to make a boat-like top for the car, but after getting a $1500 quote from a shop, I decided to make my own. I am almost done it. (Sorry, no pictures. My parents are on vacation and they have our digital camera) It has been a lot of work to make, but the full story will come when I can provide pictures. For now, I am off to the garage to do my first oil change...

Current mileage is 750km.

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 9:47 pm 

Hello guys,

I'm from Brazil and i've discovered Lotus 7 this week and i'm surprised how fast you guys are building all of those replicas.
I have some doubts but i will ask along the build of my car.
I want to start in july but i need to know things like size of the tubes and if eletric weld works or is better to get a MIG welder.
And i have no idea how to weld.but i'll practice before start...The book i need is the " How to build a sport car:on a budget" or the How to build a cheap sport car" too?
In sao paulo miata's are very hard to find so i will try a "chevette" or a "opala", brazilian cars that have almost the same size of the miata for ex. or i will try a duratec ford engine, and look for a small transmission and rear axle.

Well by now thats it.I hope i will begin my work as soon as possible.

And Jon Congratulations for the car.I'm 18 too as you were a few months ago...and i think i will try to follow your ideas.

PS: sorry for any typing error

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 7:23 pm 

Welcome to the board fred.camargo. You might want to post in the thread that allows you to introduce yourself: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5789

I used the book How to build a sport car:on a budget. I would read through that book a couple of times before you spend any money on anything else.

When it comes to how quickly we build our cars, most people take 2-10+ years to build their car. It took me about 18 months. I am one of the faster builders.

Good luck!

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 10:47 pm 

Quick update:

I have over 2000km on the car now, and I`m having a lot of fun with it. I am also constantly working to improve it. Below is a picture of it with my new convertible top. For more on this top, see this thread: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6878

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next