LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frickin' dune buggy?
PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 4:21 pm 

dhempy wrote:
Not sure what to make of this whole "Dune Buggy" thing, but I can't say that I really give a rat's assets at this moment.

-dave "woo-freakin-hoo" hempy
Congratulations Dave. Now go check that you really welded up the front suspension before the next inspection! :mrgreen:

When I got my first title, my car was listed as "Assembled from parts" because Florida really didn't have a classification for a car that was built from scratch as a replica of an older car. I kept insisting that it was a replica but the DMV people (who were really trying to help) just didn't have the authorization as the rules were written at the time. So I got the title/tag etc and kept an eye on the statutes as I had read that SEMA was working with Fla and various other states to standardize their titling process for Hot Rods & Custom Cars etc. As it turned out Fla rewrote some of the title statutes and used SEMAs input. Now Replica cars are recognized under the Custom Car classification.

When my tag was up for renewal I went back to the DMV office and they agreed I had a replica. The next day they canceled my old title and handed me a new title. Whew! What a relief that was. I have the whole gory story on my website, "How I titled my car as a Lotus 7 Replica".

I had a great interest in getting my car registered as a Replica because it is now exempt from safety and smog tests if they ever put them back into affect. I figured there was NO way that a BEC was going to pass a smog test since the engine/car wouldn't even be in their data base. Additional perks are that my car only has to meet the safety tests that were in affect in 1963! I also get to buy an antique tag for my "1963 Lotus Roadster". 8)

I have an idea that there's a few people who were very surprised when that "old antique car" left them in the dust with a screaming howl .............. (1st gear only up to the speed limit of course). :roll:

So you might want to see if KY is considering that path. Or maybe becoming active it pushing for it.

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 11:29 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Got an on-line quote from www.grundy.com for $12,000 comprehensive / $500,000 liability for $206 /year. Not bad! I could have done $100,000 liability and saved $5. No joke!

I could go with $5,000 agreed value (their minimum) for $106/year. Tempting. While I wouldn't sell the car that cheap, totalling the car wouldn't really be about replacing the car. The money wouldn't matter...having $5k would be enough to rebuild. Not like I'd use the other $7K to hire a builder or something.

I'm going to get a quote from my regular agent, but I just can't imagine they'll beat this.

I dunno...going higher will cost me $1000 over ten years. I sure hope I don't wreck it in that time, but it seems like a fair gamble. Hulluva lot better odds than a lottery ticket.

-dave "hate to bet against myself" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 1:36 pm 

:D Congrats Dave.

Andrew

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 3:24 pm 

I'll bet insurance is cheaper for a "dune buggy" than it is for a "Lotus 7" too. :wink:

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 4:01 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
I'll bet insurance is cheaper for a "dune buggy" than it is for a "Lotus 7" too. :wink:
I have Grundy insurance on Locouki. Out of curiosity I just called Grundy to check out the dune buggy vs replica price. They said that there is no difference in the cost since the amount of insurance sets the price.

Originally I tried my regular car insurance company (State Farm) and they didn't want anything to do with a replica car. OK by me, I got a better deal with Grundy anyway.

Post subject: VIN plate!
PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 5:52 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Attachment:
vin.plate.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 12:06 am 

Congrats, it's now officially a "car".

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 3:02 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Riveted VIN on dash. Mounted steering wheel, incl. horn. I likee bothee. :-) Decided to mount the steering wheel upside down. Looks goofy, but much more comfortable.

Need to call Grundy and get insurance secured. Could be street legal tomorrow??? Not sure how long proof of insurance takes...hope they can fax it.

Once licensed, I'm not sure how I'll muster the discipline to finish the car. Maybe I should hold off until it's skinned and painted. NOT!

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 6:43 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

What are the requirements for placement of the id plate? A 60's mustang has the id plate under the hood. A beetle has the id under the back seat.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 8:39 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I haven't seen a requirement in the statutes, but the memo that came with the plate said the lower corner of the windshield or inside the driver's door jamb below the latch. I've seen one riveted to the face of the dashboard. I doubt they care much. Oddly, they say you can use rivets or screws.

-dave

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 1:53 pm 

dhempy wrote:
Riveted VIN on dash. Mounted steering wheel, incl. horn. I likee bothee. :-) Decided to mount the steering wheel upside down. Looks goofy, but much more comfortable.

Need to call Grundy and get insurance secured. Could be street legal tomorrow??? Not sure how long proof of insurance takes...hope they can fax it.

Once licensed, I'm not sure how I'll muster the discipline to finish the car. Maybe I should hold off until it's skinned and painted. NOT!

Dave,

I've not worked with Grundy before, but most insurance companies can email or fax temporary insurance cards. Or, depending on how nice the DMV agent you get is, she can call Grundy and confirm the insurance on your car with the insurance account number.

Just a thought. Congrats on getting everything else finished up!

Post subject: Beauty shots
PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 3:14 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

...well, as much beauty as the car can muster at the moment. ;-)
Attachment:
front.quarter.jpg
Attachment:
front.jpg
Attachment:
left.side.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 3:34 pm 

I have to admit it does have a dune buggy look without the fenders and sides on it yet. Looks good though!

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 3:42 pm 
Hack

Awesome!

The windshield attached to the front roll bar looks really good, aesthetically. That's the best looking implementation of a full cage I've seen so far!

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 4:07 pm 
Always Moore!

Well done Hempy.

How much longer until version 2 of the NWS (not wife safe) video?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 57  Next