LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 9:37 pm 

Congrats on the great progress with getting it on the road! :cheers:

But now that you will be driving it, I don't know if you will ever want to finish it. :roll: I've had that problem myself. My car has been on the road for about 5 months now, and I'm just getting around to painting the body now. Its more fun to drive it than to work on it...

P.S. Good luck with the gravel you will get in your face. With no fenders or body panels, your going to get a mouthful on some roads :roll:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 12:28 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

gtivr4 wrote:
I have to admit it does have a dune buggy look without the fenders and sides on it yet. Looks good though!
"Yet???" What's this Yet thing? The skeletor look is kinda growing on me. Agreed on the buggy look, though.

weconway wrote:
Awesome! The windshield attached to the front roll bar looks really good, aesthetically. That's the best looking implementation of a full cage I've seen so far!
THANKS, William!!! :D

<humble>Looking at the pictures, I'm inclined to agree with you.</humble> Which is odd, because after some weeks/months of looking at the car in person, I've come to regard the car (incl. cage and windshield) as having a spare ugly gene.

a.moore wrote:
Well done Hempy. How much longer until version 2 of the NWS (not wife safe) video?
Well, I'm not entirely sure what that means...but I'll post some more pix of the headlights if that's the fix you're looking for. ;-)

maxlessca wrote:
But now that you will be driving it, I don't know if you will ever want to finish it. :roll: ... P.S. Good luck with the gravel you will get in your face. With no fenders or body panels, your going to get a mouthful on some roads :roll:
Yep. A real live di-lemma, indeedy. We'll see how the gravel thing goes. Not well, I suspect, even though my windshield is probably a +12" compared to the book. I have some fiberglass fenders I picked up somewhere along the way that will just barely cover my donor tires, but nothing wider.

Purchased insurance today from Grundy ($206/year, $12K agreed value, $500K liability), expecting proof faxed in the morning. Assuming it arrives, you can bet yer CV boots I'll have a tag on the car tomorrow!!! :D

-dave "something clever" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 12:41 am 

Congrats on the registration Dave. I am glad you have paved the way to registration for me.
I look forward to seeing you pull into work with it one day. It will be great to show the guys at work what I am working towards.

Gene

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 4:37 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Attachment:
inspection.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 4:50 pm 

Yeah!! I'll bet that feels good! Congrats!

Kent

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 11:35 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Kent wrote:
Yeah!! I'll bet that feels good! Congrats! Kent

You have NO idea how good it feels!!! Thanks, Kent!

-dave

ps. Think the rest of the gang missed the subtle clue on the back of the car?

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 12:48 am 

Sweetness! Well played Mr. Hempy. You should be a proud man.

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 12:48 am 

Ah, but what is ~your~ number? You can't be Number 6 - he went to meet Number 1 already.

G

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 8:57 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I AM NOT A NUMBER!

-dave "I AM A FREE MAN!" hempy

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:01 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Quote:
I AM NOT A NUMBER!

-dave "I AM A FREE MAN!" hempy

Bravo, Well Played Hempy!

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 11:16 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

dhempy wrote:
maxlessca wrote:
But now that you will be driving it, I don't know if you will ever want to finish it. :roll:

Yep. A real live di-lemma, indeedy.

Well, here's my answer to that dilemma:
Attachment:
stripped.jpg

This pretty much eliminates any (realistic) temptation to drive it instead of working on it! I drove it for three or four days, racking up a mighty 50 miles and maybe a dozen rides for friends and family, and haven't stopped smiling yet. I confirmed (again) that my street tires are crap and the brakes are crap's crap. I've got some Hawk HPS pads coming in, getting the rotors turned (they were plenty thick, but three were at the service limit of 0.004" runout, one was 0.010") and will eventually get ballsy enough to actually order some tires. (chicken!)

I'd say it took about 6-7 casual hours to strip off the windshield, hood, nose, scuttle, dash, cooling, rotors, front suspension, 3 MC's, front wiring, engine, tranny, and seats. Probably could have done it in 4 hours if that was a goal. I can't remove my pedal assembly, as I welded the brake light switch bracket too close. Oops. Oh, well.

I have yet to strip anything behind the seats: fuel cell, rear corners, rear wiring, differential, driveshaft, parking brake. Then I'll inspect the frame, make a few minor tweaks (still gotta add the missing R tube under the hood!) and paint the frame. Oh, yeah...and finish the cage. Probably add body panels and paint those, then reassemble. And more lights. Lots more lights. And fenders. Oh...don't forget the cigar lighter outlet... (I better stop there before I get depressed again)

I'm not sure if I'll strip out the wiring in the dash or not for painting. Little paint is needed there, so I may just wrap it all up and work around it...we'll see.

-dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 11:27 am 
Always Moore!

Probably a good call - you'll be ready to go come spring.

BTW any plans to get a new engine? That one in the last pic looks kind of tired. ;)

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 11:32 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

a.moore wrote:
Probably a good call - you'll be ready to go come spring.

Spring??? Shut your mouth! I'll be back on the road next month! :x
Quote:
BTW any plans to get a new engine? That one in the last pic looks kind of tired. ;)

Oh. That. Hurts.

-dave "never heard of a rotary engine?" hempy

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 11:41 am 
Always Moore!

dhempy wrote:
Spring??? Shut your mouth! I'll be back on the road next month! :x

Geez that is quick. It would take me at least 3 months to paint and weld in a few tubes.

I guess that's why you're the "Man of Constant Hazard" and I'm just "Always Moore". :D

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 7:54 pm 

dhempy wrote:
dhempy wrote:
maxlessca wrote:
But now that you will be driving it, I don't know if you will ever want to finish it. :roll:

Yep. A real live di-lemma, indeedy.

Well, here's my answer to that dilemma:

-dave

No! I was wrong! I'm shocked Dave! I thought for sure that you would drive it for months before working on it again! All I can say is congrats that you have the self-control/determination to be able to take it all apart again and paint the frame after driving for only a couple days.

P.S. You got it on the road!!

YOU ROCK, DAVE!!!

:hail: :headbang: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :hail: :hail: :drive: :cheers: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :hail: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree::hail: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :yay: :drive: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :hail: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :hail: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :drive: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :hail:
:zoom:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 57  Next