LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 6:40 pm 

Well- that sounds good, but where are you with the car/chassis? I think that the car should be able to use a number of different engine/trans combo and let the end user use whatever they think is best( the good ol' american way!) Are you going to offer a set of chassis prints or a book? I am interested if that is a option
thanks guys :lol:
nohair

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 9:11 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I am trying to set it up with a couple of different "stock" engines and trannies. Basically it boils down to a longitudinal engine/tranny a transverse engine/tranny and a bike engined car (later).

With minor mods you could pick the set up that fits the layout of your donor (longitudinal or transverse) and then make the mods.

That's partially why I've gotten involved in the other car, cause I want to drive something (!) instead of just figuring things out. It also gets expensive buying multiple engines and trannies and requires a lot of research to figure out which engine packages are good.

Once I have my car to drive I'll be able to calm down and get back to the head work. I'm in Texas so I can drive my car just about all winter long.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 6:54 am 

Isn't the Yaris basically a Vitz in Japan? If so there should be decent aftermarket support for it. I think there's even a racing series called the TRD Vitz Challenge.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 10:47 am 
Toyotaphobe

I don't know if the Yaris is the Vitz, but the Yaris guys said the Yaris was made in japan as well and since cars usually have a different name over there I'd say it's a good chance.

Apparently there's a racing series for the Yaris over there so it could be the same one.

According to the guys I was talking to a supercharger is the only aftermarket upgrade available over here, well and the 1800 cc engine. But based upon the incredible performance the Yaris put in at the autocross and the fact it was smoking the tires a long way down the straights, it impressed the hell out of me.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 1:11 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
I don't know if the Yaris is the Vitz,

Wikipedia is your friend! :D Yes, the Yaris hatchback is known as the Vitz everywhere else, and the Yaris sedan is the Belta.

Exploring every single option, permutation, and possibility, to figure out what flavour of awesome I want.

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 5:17 am 

carguy123 wrote:
But based upon the incredible performance the Yaris put in at the autocross and the fact it was smoking the tires a long way down the straights, it impressed the hell out of me.

NEVER trust the little old guy who says "it's stock"! I'm not even old yet and my "stock" Evo already puts about 400 to the wheels. :lol:

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 4:54 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I wouldn't have trusted him except he had a dyno slip in the car from the day before. But you are right. Old age and treachery will win out over youthful exuberance any day!

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 23, 2009, 1:38 pm 

Hello-- just checking in to see if there has been any progress on this little car?- would love to have a chassis diagram to look at and get a idea of how all this goes together---

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

nohair

PostPosted: January 3, 2010, 3:19 pm 

My mongoose now has 2 bike engines in it. I currently have it up for sale but i doubt i will let it go. The plan is to run low pressure turbo's and try to get each engine as close to 200bhp and keep the car weight under 500kgs.

Also, have you thought about the VAG 1.8T engine, 150 bhp in its lowest form and very tunable and cheap. The engine isn't huge either and the gear box comes in 5 and 6 speed.

In the uk the engine is found in lots of car from the factory,

VW:- Golf, Passat, Bora, Beetle,

Audi:- A3, A4, A6, TT

Seat:- Ibiza, Leon

Skoda:- Octavia, Superb.

I think it would be a great engine to use. I have one sat in my garage and Im still very tempted to remove the bike engines and fit the 1.8T instead.

PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 11:55 am 

:?: Soooo- what's going on with this car???- I would love to see a set of plans/buildup
fabrication --- just something--- I hope you have not given up on this--- too much good about the whole idea to let it go
take care
nohair

PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 3:18 pm 

The man is going to build them as a business,do you think he will sell plans where he doesn't earn a sh@t.

PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 3:30 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Well there's business and then there's BUSINESS. I am going to build them to sell, but all I want to do is to make enough money to support my track habit. It will never be a main income stream. So yes, there is the potential there will be some plans or help with building similar vehicles. I figure whatever I give out I'll get back in return many times over. Oh, there won't be a book. 8)

I am caught up in a build of another car at the moment which is helping work out a couple of minor details like windshield, roll cage construction & potential for doors or some sort of weather protection.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 5:07 pm 

I think if we got something like this on this side of the pond it would be a hit.
It's a midi locost pure and simple

PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 5:18 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It's really what I want to drive long term, this other project came up out of the blue and was too good to pass up. But I'm able to take certain elements of the changed Mongoose and try them out so I thought it was worth the time.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 6:34 pm 

carguy123
Are you importing them? Building them? etc etc? where are you located? I'm looking for something like this as a "side business" maybe we could talk about it?
:cheers: , Tony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next