LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manta to M8B replica
PostPosted: January 7, 2010, 11:13 pm 

A little late to the site, but appreciate you folks making me feel welcomed. Thought I'd throw out some photos as I progress on the project. I finished up cutting, drilling, and tapping the hose clamps for a trial fit of the oil lines between the two oil coolers. Yeah, it's a little more "weighty", what with two coolers, all the hose, and the clamps, but the original M8B had coolers on both sides and I'm try my best to make this thing resemble the McLaren as best as is possible. There will eventually be three hoses; two for oil, and one for fuel return to the tank passenger side tank. My biggest challenge was finding room for hoses to transverse from one side of the car to the other without going over the engine (and keep it pretty!), and still be housed inside the rear bodywork that stops just above the cross tube that holds the hose clamps.

BlueOvalZ photo documentation

Post subject: Re: Manta to M8B replica
PostPosted: January 7, 2010, 11:50 pm 
Always Moore!

Nice construction and very clean plumbing installation - I like the cleats. It always amazes me how much plumbing and wiring can make or break the quality of a build.

Any plan to add some teflon, delrin, or something between the braided hose and the cleats to keep the hose from wearing them away?

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 9:16 am 

a.moore wrote:

Any plan to add some teflon, delrin, or something between the braided hose and the cleats to keep the hose from wearing them away?

Just to follow on this theme, you can get thin UHMW tape that would do a nice job and hide well.

http://www.bcplastics.com/index.php?content=86

or

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... ,110,43466

t

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 9:34 am 

Good tip and links. I've experienced the SS braided line against aluminum battle, and the aluminum always loses, so this tape should maintain the integrity of the assembly. Heck, they'll be patting me in the face with a shovel before I need to worry about it though.

(interesting note: in the draft text, the words aluminum above have lower-case letter a ("a"), but in the submitted public view, the a's are upper case ("A"). Why would that happen?

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 9:50 am 
The voice of reason

The board software has a feature to correct spelling. It's good to remove inappropriate language, but it also fixes the spelling of Al...

Last year there some good additions to the correction list for April Fool's day. A few substitutions for words like "tire -> round thingie" and the site was pretty hilarious. :)

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 1:33 pm 

Wait, so I can blame the site for changing my text after I submit it? Sweet.

Seriously though, I've had odd things change and been confused as to why; I guess this might be it.

Great looking build, thanks for sharing

Last edited by erioshi on January 8, 2010, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 1:47 pm 

Welcome, great build, can't wait to see more! Looks like a fun project.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: January 20, 2017, 11:47 am 

I love the build. As a fellow mid-engine LS guy, I would really like to know more about the 930 transaxle. Have you had a chance to drive it yet? How did you choose the 930 box over the other Porsche units available?

Thanks
Ken

PostPosted: January 21, 2017, 1:28 am 

BB69 wrote:
I love the build. As a fellow mid-engine LS guy, I would really like to know more about the 930 transaxle. Have you had a chance to drive it yet? How did you choose the 930 box over the other Porsche units available?

Thanks
Ken

I've got a couple thousand on it now, and two track days. It runs and handles well, even more so after some modified uprights to change the camber gain. Several reasons I chose the 930 are, 1) It is debatable that it is one of the strongest Porsche street car transaxles they built (I know a guy that runs a twin turbo SBC in front of one, without failure), 2) gearing is perfect for a high-torque motor, 3) Relatively economical for its torque capacity, and 4) relatively lighter than the later good Porsche offerings (G50-50 for example). Obviously there are down sides, which is the old-school synchros, which does require some attentive shifting at specific situations, and it only has 4 speeds, but all are usable. I run mine inverted.