LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 22, 2010, 11:53 pm 

Tuck, what did you have to go through to get it registered here in SC? I have been to the DMV a few times looking for answers and they have been less than helpful on the subject, I called my local DMV inspector and he was also not too helpful.

PostPosted: January 23, 2010, 12:21 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Nice, Tuck! VERY nice! Man, you did a heckuva job getting all that gear in a book frame. Makes my Miata/442 look like a F150 under the hood! ;-)

The low shoulder belt anchors may be a liability. Even a small fender bender could be a real spine compressor. Since your roll bar is so low, you might consider fastening or looping it there.

Lookin' awesome, man! :cheers:

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 23, 2010, 9:40 pm 

dhempy wrote:
Nice, Tuck! VERY nice! Man, you did a heckuva job getting all that gear in a book frame. Makes my Miata/442 look like a F150 under the hood! ;-)

The low shoulder belt anchors may be a liability. Even a small fender bender could be a real spine compressor. Since your roll bar is so low, you might consider fastening or looping it there.

Lookin' awesome, man! :cheers:

-dave

Hi Dave! Thanks for looking. The small foot print and horsepower to weight was a key factor in choosing the 13b for this project, it just made sense. As far as the shoulder belts are concerned, I may move them here in the near future. However I think that even a small fender bender in a Locost would be quite a catastrophe no matter where they were located. Good luck with your build.

Thanks,

Tuck

PostPosted: January 23, 2010, 9:58 pm 

BrianG701 wrote:
Tuck, what did you have to go through to get it registered here in SC? I have been to the DMV a few times looking for answers and they have been less than helpful on the subject, I called my local DMV inspector and he was also not too helpful.

HI Brian! Are you planning on titleing you car as a Locost or using the title from your donor?

Tuck

PostPosted: January 23, 2010, 10:08 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

65pb736 wrote:
However I think that even a small fender bender in a Locost would be quite a catastrophe no matter where they were located. Good luck with your build.

Well, I sure won't argue with that!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 23, 2010, 10:54 pm 

Amazing looking build! I love the wheels.

65pb736 wrote:
JSullivan wrote:
The passenger is my daughter Hannah, and she is the prettiest and most classy thing that I have ever created!

In all respect she is very cute :cheers: Just have to be careful with us young guys on the board here :lol:

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: January 23, 2010, 11:11 pm 

blue devil wrote:
Amazing looking build! I love the wheels.

65pb736 wrote:
JSullivan wrote:
The passenger is my daughter Hannah, and she is the prettiest and most classy thing that I have ever created!

In all respect she is very cute :cheers: Just have to be careful with us young guys on the board here :lol:

Hi Blue Devil! Thanks for looking. I don't worry about you young guy's so much, since old age a treachary always overcome youth and skill. I'll pass the compliment on to my daughter and good luck with your build.

Tuck

PostPosted: January 24, 2010, 1:51 pm 

65pb736 wrote:
BrianG701 wrote:

HI Brian! Are you planning on titleing you car as a Locost or using the title from your donor?

Tuck

I'm planning on registering it as a locost since I really didn't use many bits from my donor.

PostPosted: January 24, 2010, 4:56 pm 

BrianG701 wrote:
65pb736 wrote:
BrianG701 wrote:

Tuck

I'm planning on registering it as a locost since I really didn't use many bits from my donor.

Hi Brian! You can go to the SCDMV website and download Form 401-A which is for the DMV to assign a serial number for the frame. This process takes ablut 30 days and there is no fee for it. The instuctions are on the form, also when the serial number comes back from the DMV there will be a letter with instuctions on what to do next. They will request receipts for the major components engine,transmission, rearend ect.. I just made a list of all of the components in a letter format and they accepted it that way. They will want some pictures of the car as well. After you get the serial number you have to affix it to the car in a permanent fashion. I used a plate for locosts that I found on ebay. You will have to take the car to your local DMV and the guy that inspects trailers will have to look at the serial number to make sure that it is correct, and he signs off on that. The last part will be to go to the tax accessers office and pay the property tax for the car. The taxes for mine were $127.00. After all of this is submited they will send you a title. At that time you will be able to go to the DMV and get the tags and registration. I hope that this helps and good luck. If you would let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks, Tuck

PS My car is titled as a 2009 Locost Super Seven Roadster.

PostPosted: January 24, 2010, 10:01 pm 

65pb736 wrote:
I don't worry about you young guy's so much, since old age a treachary always overcome youth and skill.

And yet, generation after generation of daughters still date, get married and have children, despite their father's best efforts. :lol:

(So, where to you live? :twisted: )

Last edited by JSullivan on January 24, 2010, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 24, 2010, 10:03 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Oh no, there comes a time you want them out of home and out from underfoot (even if they live half a continent away they're underfoot) and you deign to let some boy take over their care and maintenance.

I've got 2 daughters so I speak from the voice of experience.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 24, 2010, 11:10 pm 

65pb736 wrote:

Hi Brian! You can go to the SCDMV website and download Form 401-A which is for the DMV to assign a serial number for the frame. This process takes ablut 30 days and there is no fee for it. The instuctions are on the form, also when the serial number comes back from the DMV there will be a letter with instuctions on what to do next. They will request receipts for the major components engine,transmission, rearend ect.. I just made a list of all of the components in a letter format and they accepted it that way. They will want some pictures of the car as well. After you get the serial number you have to affix it to the car in a permanent fashion. I used a plate for locosts that I found on ebay. You will have to take the car to your local DMV and the guy that inspects trailers will have to look at the serial number to make sure that it is correct, and he signs off on that. The last part will be to go to the tax accessers office and pay the property tax for the car. The taxes for mine were $127.00. After all of this is submited they will send you a title. At that time you will be able to go to the DMV and get the tags and registration. I hope that this helps and good luck. If you would let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks, Tuck

PS My car is titled as a 2009 Locost Super Seven Roadster.

Awesome, Thanks Tuck :cheers:

PostPosted: January 25, 2010, 1:43 pm 

Excellent build for the hundreth time :cheers: .I can see that your a pretty big fellow,no issues with the steering colume as far as knee clearance. There is a fellow named Brian about your size on the locust site and another fellow that did an Aussi build stated that his one neighbor got stuck in his car in a downpour. As a side note I like hunting and I knew as I got older I'd need a decoy to attract the young bucks hence the pretty duaghter :twisted:. Can you say buck :ack:

PostPosted: January 26, 2010, 12:55 am 
The voice of reason

Tuck, what I saw in your pictures was it looks like your daughter is *real* proud of her Dad. I don't think you'll need to worry much about her hooking up with useless types. She might not get a mechanical guy, but she will expect him to be able to do things successfully. I hope I do that well, with my children. Kind of a hidden benefit to building your own car.
:cheers:

PostPosted: January 26, 2010, 2:39 am 

carguy123 wrote:
Oh no, there comes a time you want them out of home and out from underfoot (even if they live half a continent away they're underfoot) and you deign to let some boy take over their care and maintenance.

I've got 2 daughters so I speak from the voice of experience.

So the trick to avoiding crotchety, protective fathers is to date older women? Noted. :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next