LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: January 25, 2010, 1:05 pm 

wkeeling wrote:
looking for ideas on how to attach things (wiper motor, flasher switch...) to the backside of GRP dash without hardware showing on the frontside?

thanks

Could you do a wooden dash to cover everything? Russ will make you one, he does awesome work.

PostPosted: February 1, 2010, 1:08 pm 

I installed the windshield this weekend but all did not go well cracked the windshield and cut the gasket to short but both will do for now. Mounted the windshield wipers but that did not go well either; I mounted them to far forward. I put them half way between the windshield and the hood and it should be much closer to the windshield. Also the arms I used are about a ½ inch to long even with my taller windshield. I used Lucas parts ’68+ midget/sprite – so does anyone know an application that has about one inch shorter wiper arms that will work with the Lucas wheel boxes?

Also mounted instrument pod and switches; still need to build instrument binnacle.

I went for my first long test drive and one front fender mount broke so that will need a redesign :(

All else is going to plan. :)

PostPosted: February 1, 2010, 9:10 pm 

pics of the dash

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 1, 2010, 10:13 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I got some universal/adjustable wiper arms from the local McParts store. It is adjustable length and adjustable blade angle, so should fit anything. At its sortest, one was 1/4" too long, but that wasn't difficult to remedy. Just tell them you need arms for a sixty-something MGB and it should come up.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: February 2, 2010, 4:21 pm 

I would guess that it should be from an MGB that has a three blade system "shorter arms and blades. I have Sprite arms and blades.
Dave W

PostPosted: February 2, 2010, 4:29 pm 

davew wrote:
I would guess that it should be from an MGB that has a three blade system "shorter arms and blades. I have Sprite arms and blades.
Dave W

no I am using Sprite/Midget arms and blades but only 2 not 3

PostPosted: February 8, 2010, 11:58 am 

Another setback this weekend, I tried to get an inspection and I fail the emissions test wit too much NOXs. Tried to check the timing and found to about 40 degrees BTDC. Tried to adjust it but the closes I could get it with the CAS bolt in place was about 25 degrees BTDC; so I removed the CAS bolt and moved is closer but the engine died. I pulled the timing belt covers and check the all the timing marks and the cams and crank look fine. I am stumped. I am going to check that the number 1 is at TDC when the crank timing pulley shows. I also going to check of I have another CAS and try it.

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: February 8, 2010, 4:46 pm 
Always Moore!

High NOX emissions can be from a lean mixture and the associated increased EGT.

Would you happen to have a buddy with a wide-band O2 reader that you could use to verify your mixture?

PostPosted: February 10, 2010, 11:54 am 

found the problem with the timing -- on the crank pulley the v-belt pulley (which has the timing mark) had move on the micro v-belt pulley which bolts to the crank. replaed the pulley from my vast junk pile and was able to set the timing. it feels like it runs better I hope it wil past the re-test.

PostPosted: February 22, 2010, 2:51 pm 

Fail emissions retests this weekend – did better but still failed on high NOX. It is a 190K 1.6 stock Miata donor. Here is what I have tried/tested -- Timing is set to stock (10 degrees BTDC), fuel pressure was tested (and is correct 43 psi), Injectors should be clean (I took them from my race car), I have tried 2 cats (one left), I have check for intake and exhaust leaks and plugs and wires have been changed.

I may try jumpering the computer to tell it that it is a California car, set the timing to TDC and try the other cat I have.

Does anyone have any other cheap ideas?

PostPosted: February 22, 2010, 4:05 pm 

Does that moter have an EGR system? Without EGR you'll need to be running a '3 way' or '3 gas' catalytic converter.

PostPosted: February 22, 2010, 4:08 pm 

oltmann wrote:
Does that moter have an EGR system? Without EGR you'll need to be running a '3 way' or '3 gas' catalytic converter.

As far as I know the 1.6 Miata does not have EGR and both cats are for a miata so I assume 3 way

PostPosted: February 22, 2010, 6:14 pm 

NOx emissions rise with combustion temperatures. Anything you could do to lower combustion temperatures such as running higher octane fuel, running richer, or providing the engine with extra cooling would help. Be aware though, that lowering combustion temperatures increases HC emissions, as does running richer. You have to find the right balance.

Air/fuel ratio vs. emissions:

I can't dig up a combustion temperature vs. emissions graph, I think it's in one of my textbooks at home.

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 3:39 pm 

it passed emissions test this weekend so it is a street legal '92 miata now :) -- let the testing begin -- I am up to 25 miles so far and nothing else has fallen off :)

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 8:46 pm 

Congrats on the emissions pass! Its a good feeling, isn't it! I got mine about a year ago, and that was a huge milestone for me.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next