LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: March 13, 2010, 11:00 am 

I like it :D

Do you have any trouble getting the legs of the engine hoist under the dolly?

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: March 13, 2010, 2:53 pm 
-the man.

No, but it was sheer luck. I have about 1/4 inch clearance, but you do have to plan that in. Make sure your casters are tall enough.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: March 13, 2010, 4:50 pm 

I have been lamenting about taking mine off the build table now that the engine is home and I only have the front end left to go before rolling.

I'm loving the idea of being able to build and then eventually store (for winters) the Seven and still be able to move it when needed, engine or not. Have you found its too low to work on without back strain though?? I suppose with the right casters it would be somewhat adjustable with the jack stands though.

This is a great idea and thanks for posting your "version" of Raceral's stand.. you gave me the kick I needed to finally build it!!

Now if I can just find some simple plans to convert my engine hoist to a fold-able version, I can recoup all that wasted space!!!

Thanks!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 13, 2010, 6:09 pm 
-the man.

Another plus I've found is that you can get inside and stand on the shop floor. Of course as soon as the floor is welded in that ability goes away. I guess the only way I can discribe using the dolly is it just seems handier. And, although my Seven is far from finished, I know that even after it's coming out party, there will be times when you would like to get it up on the dolly for maintenance or repairs.

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 11:06 am 

That's a nice set-up.... I've been looking at building something like that for my Track Locost, I intend to use it on for regular maintenance and Bolt Checks....

Here another take on the idea that I've seen, Not perfect for what I have in mind, but a good source of inspiration. Between that one and RacerDan set-up I've got a good idea now. My Requirement is that I need to take the thing apart for easy storage... Using Jackstands makes storage even easier, plus you can take the stands to the track and when using them to support the car you don't need storage space for them, Brilliant.

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 11:22 am 
Toyotaphobe

What do you have on top of the support to keep the car from sliding when you push it and a small rock, nut or bolt gets under one wheel and locks it up?

This is a problem I've got already inside the shop when I use my car skates on the donor body. I push and it slides forward off the car skate.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 12:31 pm 
-the man.

I don't have anything and it does happen. I just go slow enough that when I hit something I can clear it. The only time I've had a real sliding problem was with the bare frame. And then it's not really a problem. If you come up with something, make sure you share.

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 12:38 pm 

Just weld on a few eyelets and use a ratchet strap.

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 2:22 pm 

egoman wrote:
Just weld on a few eyelets and use a ratchet strap.
+1!! :thmbsup:

I already do this on my wood build table as it shifts around while tugging and pushing on various items!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: March 14, 2010, 2:49 pm 
The voice of reason

They sell or you can make simple metal sawhorses to hold formula cars up. You need an engine crane to lift the car either way, so if you need to move it around you can just use the engine crane for that.

When you fold the metal sawhorses they don't take up much room at all. Here's a pointer, the tall ones are $140 - so not super cheap. I imagine you could make these from 1" tubing pretty easy though.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/bigpicture.asp?RecID=877

PostPosted: March 15, 2010, 1:41 pm 

These are all great ideas, you’re making it difficult to decide on what to build.
Rick

PostPosted: March 15, 2010, 3:10 pm 

RacerDan wrote:
I don't have anything and it does happen. I just go slow enough that when I hit something I can clear it. The only time I've had a real sliding problem was with the bare frame. And then it's not really a problem. If you come up with something, make sure you share.

Just for information I dont have my car sitting on the bare chassis stands but have a 2x3 that extends across to the top of the chassis stand that the car sits on. The 2x3's are notched to fit the tops of the chassis stands and I just screwed a cheap gyp roc screw into the 2x3 ends and twisted some stainless wire around it and the frame.

In my case it is just cheapo insurance against moving though so far I have never had my car slide on the 2x3's, even with it coming to an abrupt halt hitting something sitting on the floor, just the weight alone seems to create enough friction to keep it in place.

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 8:18 am 

For those of you looking for metal 2x6 studs, check the farming stores and such outside the big city. We built a house out of 14 gauge rectangular tubing and purchased all the metal from a rural shop. They had over 18,000 lbs of the stuff in stock and much cheaper than we could have purchased it in the city.

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 8:23 pm 

I hope We have the Right Thread for this, Just Signed up after reading around for the past few months.

Here is what we intend to do for our Build Table. It was drawn by a acquaintance for his Seven build and I will be using it as well, After the Seven build is done it will serve duty in my wood shop as a work table.. Top Size = 4x8 Height = your prefered.. any questions just ask.

PostPosted: July 9, 2010, 8:33 am 

here is the one I used it was great, I could spin it around in the shed and roll it out when needed
cheers Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next