LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's 5.0 v8 Build
PostPosted: February 28, 2010, 10:26 am 

dhempy wrote:
You're not really using that face shield for welding are you? How can you weld with only one hand? Do yourself a favor and drop $50 on a cheap LCD welding helmet. You won't regret it.

-dave

I did. Only mine cost over $100. I have 4 different welding helmets. I have an auto dark helmet, 2 hand held ones, and one full face/ flip helmet. For the stuff that I'm doing right now, I find it much easier to use the hand-held one. I'm constantly going back and forth between the grinder, chop saw and welder. When I need to tack something, its fastest/ easiest to just grab the hand held one for the 2 secs that I need it.

DasPirate wrote:
If you remove the galvanizing near where you plan to weld, you'll do just fine. A wirewheel should be able to take it off.

This is what I've done in the past, and I will most likely end up doing it that way again...

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 9:27 pm 

Looks great Jon!

PostPosted: March 2, 2010, 9:50 am 
We are Slotus!

Yeah, like Chet said, looks great! I've admired your fab/welding throughout this build log... Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 2, 2010, 8:25 pm 

Thanks for the complements! I really appreciate them.

You wouldn't believe how much I struggled to find 1/2"-20 bolts 2" long fully threaded. Since I have changed the bolt pattern on the car, I need 8 of these to bolt the wheels to the hubs. I looked everywhere, including 4+ bolt stores, but none had them. I checked online, and the only place I found them was McMasterCarr, but they wouldn't ship to me. I finally found them at Spaenaur (local company). Wahoo!

Work I did today:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

PostPosted: March 9, 2010, 8:56 pm 

A quick update:

I'm been poking around the garage for the last week. I've been test fitting all the components, and finishing up random items. Gas tank mounts are almost done, and the trunk has a floor. The thing that has stopped me was one of my hubs. For those who don't know, I've changed the bolt pattern from a 5 bolt to a 4 bolt, to match the front wheels. I used a mill and lathe at my school to do the work. This past weekend, I went to test fit everything, but something didn't seem quite right with one of my hubs. For whatever reason, at least 1 new hole in the hub was crooked. I was very concerned about this, but what made it worse was that I no longer had access to a mill for re-work. I considered all my options, but didn't really know what to do. Long story short, I was able to use a mill today at the school to fix the problem, and everything is great with it now. The work on the car can now continue! But, maybe not until this weekend :cry:

PostPosted: March 18, 2010, 7:22 pm 

I've been lazy in my updates recently, because its getting harder and harder to get time to work on the car, since my school work is ramping up. Anyways, everything that needed to be done before painting has been finished:

It has been very warm this week, so I spent the beginning of the week trying desperately to prep the frame for paint before it gets cold agian. The temperature needs to be above 60F (I think) for the POR-15 to work well, and it has been 60F all week. On Saturday, the temperature is to drop to freezing again, and stay there for a few more weeks. It was time to get to work!!

On Mon/ Tues, I ordered a six pack of POR-15, and finished up any last welds that were needed, and used the wire wheel to clean up some of the steel. On Wed, the POR-15 came in the mail, and I used the marine clean and metal ready on the frame. I used my shop crane to lift up the rear of the car, and the front sat on its wheels.

Other parts ready for paint:

Between Wed night and this evening, I have put 2 coats of paint on:

Tomorrow, I will top coat everything. If all goes to plan, I can start the re-assembly or make the rear aluminum panel on Saturday.

PostPosted: March 20, 2010, 5:47 pm 

I didn't get much work done today. I just didn't feel like working outside today. I've got a couple of pictures though:

My new Teflon-lined chromoly rod ends:

Shiny new a-arms!

The beginning of the re-assembly:

PostPosted: March 30, 2010, 9:24 pm 

Nice work as usual Jon! At this rate you'll be road testing this setup in mere weeks! :cheers:

PostPosted: March 31, 2010, 10:49 am 

DasPirate wrote:
If you remove the galvanizing near where you plan to weld, you'll do just fine. A wirewheel should be able to take it off.

Too late now, but you should also drink milk (unless you're lactose intolerant) after welding on galvanized (or rather scraped off galvanized steel). The calcium apparently blocks the absorption of the zinc.

PostPosted: March 31, 2010, 10:59 am 

Poboy wrote:
Too late now, but you should also drink milk (unless you're lactose intolerant) after welding on galvanized (or rather scraped off galvanized steel). The calcium apparently blocks the absorption of the zinc.

This smells of urban legend to me. Got a source for that? Wait, nevermind, I don't want to hijack the thread (any further, anyways). :roll:

Exploring every single option, permutation, and possibility, to figure out what flavour of awesome I want.

PostPosted: April 3, 2010, 12:45 am 

I guess its time for an update. Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve covered the rear end in aluminum, assembled the suspension, and started painting the rear end. I have no pictures of the bare aluminum, because I forgot. This is after the 4th coat of paint:

As with my last paint job, I’m doing the “$50 Paint Job” method, which requires 6-10 super thin coats of Tremclad. I’m on my 8th or 9th now, and will be doing another 1 or 2 this weekend.

To align my suspension, I used a square and a straight edge. This worked great on the original suspension (car never wondered, and always tracked straight), so I did the same thing this time. This is what I did:

1) I started by clamping a 2x4 to the bottom of the front of my car. This 2x4 was centered (passenger side to drivers side) and ran perpendicular to the centerline. There were markings on the 2x4 to match the distance between the spindle face and the centerline of the car. This is my reference.

2) I connected the bottom a-arm to the spindle, and then adjusted the top A-arm to ‘hold’ the top pivot point in place while I took a measurement. I placed a straight edge against the spindle face, and observed where the straight edge rested on the 2x4. I then adjusted the lower A-arm, so that the straight edge lined up with the 2x4 marking.

3) After completing the toe alignment, I secured the lower A-arm, with all the bolts and spacers required.

4) Next, I ran a straight edge across the bottom of the car (perpendicular to the centerline), and rested a square against the straight edge. I then adjusted the top A-arm, so that the face of the spindle would be flush with the straight edge.

NOTE: This setup was for 0 toe and 0 camber.

Final alignment done (other than the nut on the top bolt):

Random pic of my massive ¾” ratchet:

I was determined to hear my engine this weekend, so I ran the gas lines to the gas tank, and hooked up the wiring to the fuel pump. Man! It was good to hear the engine roar to life again, after being so quiet for the last few months! But, I noticed a problem! Out of the driver’s side exhaust, there was a very light stream of white smoke. After doing some investigating, I’ve found that oil is coming out of my exhaust, on both sides.

Now, I know how engines work, but I am very new to diagnosing/ fixing/ modifying engines. So, the investigation begins! I did a compression check (first time doing that) today, and all the cylinders are reading close to 150PSI, so there are no problems there. I will be doing more research on the topic, because I honestly know nothing about what causes oil to burn in your car, beyond what I’ve learned in this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQiqdKYarxM .

That's it for now.

Last edited by maxlessca on December 6, 2012, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 3, 2010, 12:56 am 

Was oil running out or was there just a white cloud when you started up ?
If just momentary it could be valve guides, they will leak down when sitting.

PostPosted: April 3, 2010, 1:04 am 

egoman wrote:
Was oil running out or was there just a white cloud when you started up ?
If just momentary it could be valve guides, they will leak down when sitting.

If I held my hand in front of the exhaust pipe, little drops of oil would appear on my hand. It was continuous, and not just on start-up.

PostPosted: April 3, 2010, 3:42 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Jon-
I'm not a mechanic, but I have sat next to one during lunch... I'd go with EgoMan's suggestion, only take his idea a step farther and before you do too much taking apart, try putting the car together and driving it a bit. Could be something that's stuck open or closed or inbetween due to inactivity, and once the motor warms up a few times it'll go back to normal.

Having said that, I'd also say that given the mileage on the motor, it's likely to need some repair/rebuilding, but my guess is that you'd rather drive it for the summer before you have to work on it.

See how bad the problem really is before you tear it apart, in other words.

My .02

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 3, 2010, 8:04 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
See how bad the problem really is before you tear it apart, in other words.

You guys are definitely right. I shouldn't freak out when the engine has been sitting all winter. I shall wait till till I'm driving it.

I planned to work on my car all day today, from 9am to 9pm. But, after waking up, I got a call from my girlfriend. She said that the brake pedal in her car went to the floor with no effort. Sigh :( . She said that she was happy to take it to a mechanic, but I refused to let her. There goes my only day off all month. A couple new brake lines, new rear brake cylinders (2), and bleeding all the lines fixed the problem (only cost $38 for all that!!). After doing that, my parent's wanted their snow tires off their car's, so by the time all that was done, I was too exhausted to work on the Locost. Oh well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next