LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 20, 2024, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 2:21 pm 
Just to bring this thread to life again... Just got quoted $120 for 120 linear feet of 1x1 16 guage. About what I was expecting. It's at least local enough where I can pick it up at lunch, and it's a stock item for the place. Still have to cover my butt and check another place or two to make sure they're not out of line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 2:45 pm 
Thats a very reasonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 5:16 pm 
Just got this from some places in Houston (copy/paste from emailed quotes).

Steel Supply Inc:

st1.00 x 16ga x 24' @ 10.16 ea
st.750 x 16ga x 24' @ 7.00 ea.
mt.750 x 16ga x 20' @ 8.57 ea

SSS Steel:

1 X 1 X 16 GA. 8 160 FT 44.1500CFT 70.64
3/4 X 3/4 X 16 GA. 2 48 FT 36.2900CFT 17.42
3/4" O.D. X 16 Ga. 2 40 FT 63.6500CFT 25.46

So about $.42/ft from steel supply and $.44/ft from sss steel for 1x1 16ga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 8:48 pm 
I was quoted $153.08 picked up, after tax for 6 20' lengths of 16 gauge (120 ft) a couple weeks ago. I'll be getting another quote from the same place hopefully in a month when I'm ready to start my build. But it'll be for 200' delivered next time so we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21, 2006, 10:31 am 

Well I finally broke down and bought my tubing. 168 feet of 16g. RHS for $118.16. Works out to around $.70 a foot.

Last edited by chetcpo on October 15, 2007, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24, 2006, 9:58 pm 

$105 for 160ft. +$30 for delivery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26, 2006, 12:08 am 

$0.90/ft in Wichita, ks. for 1x1x16ga

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26, 2006, 8:23 pm 

Got a few prices for my build...which should go with if I'm going to have 300+rwhp and 350+rwtq.

1" square 15g - $.61/ft
1.25" square 14g - $.91/ft
1.5" square 16g - $.91/ft

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30, 2006, 3:12 am 

Ah, but what KIND of steel are you buying? I've heard LoCost builders say they don't know. I'd like to be on the track in something I KNOW is going to hold up.

I don't see mention of the chrome moly for the suspension or roll cage.

The way things are going, to call it a LoCost you'll have to use something cheaper than steel. Like, uh, wood. . . .

2000 Plymouth Neon
1999 Beetle
1999 Cherokee
1990 Eclipse
1989 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30, 2006, 10:35 am 

-DOUG- wrote:
Ah, but what KIND of steel are you buying? I've heard LoCost builders say they don't know. I'd like to be on the track in something I KNOW is going to hold up.

The way things are going, to call it a LoCost you'll have to use something cheaper than steel. Like, uh, wood. . . .

I think it is generally assumed that everyone is using mild steel unless otherwise stated. And what are you worried about the steel "holding up to?" Rust? Bending stresses? The frame design is based on the the strength of mild steel, so using mild steel doesn't constitute cutting a corner. From what I've heard not just here, but on other racing forums mild steel makes as good a roll cage as anything. Some say it is the best material for that application, assuming it is DOM of sufficient diameter and thickness.

From what I understand, the decision of whether or not to fab up a Chromolly cage isn't usually made because it is going to be safer, just lighter since it can be made thinner. Not a Locost option, but to each his own. Not to mention the debate of what type of normalization is needed to keep the welding from weakening it. Why go there is my question. If it was proven safter the SCCA and other organizations would likely mandate all cages be made from it. If you have an unlimited bank account and you want to maximize strength and minimize weight then Chromolly is the obvious choice, but for the average Locost builder it isn't practical or required. That's probably why you don't see it mentioned.

Oh and there already is a Seven replica made of wood, it's called a Locust.:shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust_(car)
They even have their own enthusiast website.
http://www.locust.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30, 2006, 2:59 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
-DOUG- wrote:

I think it is generally assumed that everyone is using mild steel unless otherwise stated. And what are you worried about the steel "holding up to?" Rust? Bending stresses? The frame design is based on the the strength of mild steel, so using mild steel doesn't constitute cutting a corner. From what I've heard not just here, but on other racing forums mild steel makes as good a roll cage as anything. Some say it is the best material for that application, assuming it is DOM of sufficient diameter and thickness.

From what I understand, the decision of whether or not to fab up a Chromolly cage isn't usually made because it is going to be safer, just lighter since it can be made thinner. Not a Locost option, but to each his own. Not to mention the debate of what type of normalization is needed to keep the welding from weakening it. Why go there is my question. If it was proven safter the SCCA and other organizations would likely mandate all cages be made from it. If you have an unlimited bank account and you want to maximize strength and minimize weight then Chromolly is the obvious choice, but for the average Locost builder it isn't practical or required. That's probably why you don't see it mentioned.

Oh and there already is a Seven replica made of wood, it's called a Locust.:shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust_(car)
They even have their own enthusiast website.
http://www.locust.org.uk/

Exactly...last I checked...NHRA just mandates something like a .117 wall thickness for mild steel cage structures, and down into the .09x for CM. Weight trade off and cost trade off are the only differences.

Perhaps a 4-4-2 chassis in the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2007, 4:39 pm 

I just got quoted the following:

5 20 FT sticks of 1x1x.065 = 76 (tax included)

But I would have to pickup and its all local

Not bad if you ask me!

Lucas

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2007, 5:08 pm 

Just got back <this minute> from the steel store, where I bought ten 20' lengths of surplus 1 x 1 x .065 for $6.50 apiece before anybody else could snag it. If anyone in Oregon/Jefferson is building a Grassroots $2007 Challenge locost, I'll let you have it at that price. Some surface rust but plenty serviceable.

This is not an item that shows up surplus very often...and hasn't been sold at $.32 a foot since the previous millenium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2007, 3:34 pm 

I picked up 8 sticks of 1"x1" 14ga for $15.81 per stick today. They are 20 ft sticks so that works out to 79 cents per foot plus taxes. Not too bad.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 8:21 pm 

So I ordered my steel today. I had started the frame about 2 years ago paid 240 delivered. But before you loose you lunch, I was about 60 miles out of Denver, in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing around. The steel for that build is now, shelves, a couple of coffee tables and some various uses in the shop. I had no room or any way to get it off the mountain so it got cut into smaller bits. Now with the garage cleaned I am ready to start all over.

Back to the reason for the post. 140ft(5 24ft sticks) $65 out the door. Great price I know but it helps that I work in a Steel Fab Shop. We buy a lot of steel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next