LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 8:25 am 

Hey everyone, great site. I too have decided to build a locost. I'll be using my own miata as the donor, which is handy, because
a) I already own it, and
b) I'm very familiar with all it's parts and whatnots.

The hardest part is the waiting for available funds. But I have a great sponsor, my wife. Not only is she buying a second car for me (when a miata is your only car, you need winter transportation), and last night, get this, she said I should find a sponsor to match my funds....and she meant HER!!...that was the happiest dinner of my life. Now, keep in mind, there's still at least a year to go before we're at that point, and things do often change, but WOW!

So I've decided that my build will be based on parts from Coveland. I really love that they focused on the miata and everything that'd it take to make it work. My "sponsor" suggested I get a complete kit, vs saving up to buy the next big component of the build, but I'm not conviced a Robin Hood kit is the car for me, so perhaps I'll call Cove and have them build a "complete kit", give me a total, and go at it.

Whew, alot for a new guy, I know, but as VP of a Mazda club where I live (see website), I know what it's like running a forum and managing members, and lurkers and spammers don't make for a great community. I look forward to learning and sharring as much info as I can!

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 12:14 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

First thing - buy her a really nice dinner.

While you say funds are the limiting issue, you going at it the most expensive way - having someone else build if for you. If you build the car yourself you can save a lot of money, learn a LOT, and spread the costs out over time. Heck if you buy someone else's completed car that would still be cheaper than your proposed plan.

Building the car yourself is such an incredible journey, don't dismiss it as impossible, with all the support you have here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 1:26 pm 

Good advice. I don't know how to weld (I know how welding works, and understand the basics, but I have no working skill or experience), so that's why I'm planning on buying a frame. Being that it's the core of the entire car, I'd rather leave that part to experts. That means everything fits (crossing fingers) and it's much safer (as safe as can be expected).

I really don't want a "completed" car. Sure, it would be nice to get a kit that had everything that I'm eventually going to buy, so there's less time spent in limbo waiting for money to buy parts. I don't want the final product to look too "homebuilt". I'm not trying to accidently insult anyone here, but it's the same with my miata now, people tell me it's a nice car, but I know it needs paint and so much else, I just can't be happy with it "as is". So a kit with quality parts should help me reach the picture in my head. (which changes daily, doh)

I'm not looking to finish the car in a weekend, week, or even a month. Having to take some time between "purchases" will allow me to spend more time with the little details, following the path of the 3P's, Paint, Polish, and Powdercoat. It's going to be a "new car" when I'm finished, and I want it to look that way.

I've seen the difference between homebuilt, functioning cars and the factory built cars, and there can be quite a difference. Again, not try to hurt anyones feelings here, in fact, I'm jealous of everyone that has at least a frame, because they can say, "I'm building a 7", versus my "I want to build a 7"

Plus, once again, my donor is free, and there's parts on it that I'll still be able to sell off, cutting some costs a little.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 3:25 pm 

Scott wrote:
<snip>

I've seen the difference between homebuilt, functioning cars and the factory built cars, and there can be quite a difference. Again, not try to hurt anyones feelings here, in fact, I'm jealous of everyone that has at least a frame, because they can say, "I'm building a 7", versus my "I want to build a 7"<snip>.

Make no mistake. If you buy a kit you are not buying a "factory" car. They are built to order on a jig and welded up the same way "we" (homebuilders) do it. The only advantage to buying a pre-built frame it that it keeps you from having to devise a proper suspension geometry. (which is a benefit to be sure) Buy Kieth Tanner's "how to build a cheap sportscar" book if you haven't already. You'll see that buying a kit frame is no guaruantee that everything will be perfectly to spec.

I'm not sure what homebuilts you have seen but I'd be willing to bet that looking at a group of finished Locosts you would struggle to tell which were homebuilt and which were built from a kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 3:28 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Scott, I insulted and I Feel that you are directing these comments directly AT ME!!!!!

Acctually just yanking your chain man. Welcome to the boards. We have a pretty good group here so read alot and learn from others before you spend a penny. There are several guys doing the miata as a donor. Do yourself a favor and buy Keith Tanners book (send the referal fees to me Keith). Visit his site which is an awesome online refference to miata builders and read the boards.

Congratulations on having a cool supportive wife! I find myself at odds with finding time for my family obilations and garage time, having a wife to help sponsor a hobby and toys is truely remarkable. (I am guessing she will want to drive it too?)

Below is a list of builders logs and websites to welcome you aboard...
chetcpo (Resident Hillbilly/Appalachain American)
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=952
locost_adam
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=775
squarefour (All Hail the Successful Builder)
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98
and of course the author...
Keith Tanner
http://www.cheapsportscar.net/
His book...(If you buy it from his site he gets $1 more)
http://www.cheapsportscar.net/buy.php

Again welcome aboard...

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 8:37 pm 

Welcome. I agree with everyone here about getting Keith Tanner's book. I think there's a tendency to believe that building from a "kit" involves little more than bolting a bunch of parts together. In fact it's a lot more involved (and fun), as you need to do plenty of fabrication (including welding), and make a number of design and building decisions. The Coveland frame will give you a good headstart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 9:57 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yeah that's true, people think they avoid welding by getting a kit. My brother's Stalker needs the roll-bar welded on, then there's always other stuff.

I say take a welding class and build your own, but that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2006, 10:10 am 

It's great to feel welcome guys. I don't have my own copy of Keith's book, but I borrowed my friends and read it in about 3 days. This is after I've spent evening after evening looking at his website.

Make no mistake, I don't expect there to be no fabrication. I'd be dissappointed if there wasn't at least a little.

Welding classes around here run for about $400....not saving any money there. I'd be better off buying a welder and gather scrap metal and learn that way.

My biggest reason for getting a premade frame is not stalling on the project. I know that if there's this big jungle gym of a car in the garage, it'll motivate me. Looking at a bunch of metal that needs measured, cut, measured, tacked, measured, adjusted, welded, measured...just for the first cuts...makes me feel unmotivated just typing it.

In truth, I haven't seen too many Locosts or Caterhams, but like everyone else I can only base my experience off of what I've seen.

Ah, but despite all my support for prefabbed frames, who knows, maybe I'll build my own by the time I have enough money saved up. Datz510 (I think that's right) has done a really nice job (it's the only build up I've looked at so far) and was inspiring, made it look easy (from here).

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2006, 10:37 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

High schools normally offer night classes which around here are about $20, no kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2006, 1:31 pm 
Even if you don't want to take welding classes (I could afford either a MIG welder, or classes - I chose the welder, bought a book, and practiced for a while...now making some seriously nice welds that I'm proud to show off!), get a cheap MIG welder. First, you're going to need it; second, you'll have a lot of fun with it; and third, you'll be amazed how many other projects it turns out to be useful for! You'll wonder how you lived without it... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2006, 2:22 pm 
Scott,

I had a tape included with my MIG welder. However, the tapes I recently bought from Wall Mountain Company are superb (iMHO).

http://www.wallmountain.com/

Since watching and listening (sound really help you learn confidence in MIG welding) to the MIG tape, my weld quality has sky rocketed.

The only thing slowing me down now is lack of a garage or workshop.

Practice, practice, practice. It is also good if someone you trust with welding will spend an hour or two over several weeks to guide you, answer questions in person, show you tricks or how it is done several different ways etc. it is money and time well spent.

Unlike woodworking, where a mistake most likely cannot be glued back together. Welding is just the opposite. The practice part is fun and builds confidence and skill. If you have a weld you question, cut it apart and inspect it. Or pull until it breaks and see what the results are.

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2006, 8:31 pm 

aaarrrgggg

All day long I've been weighing the pros and cons of both choices. My dad does have a wire fed, flux core MIG welder. It's a cheaper welder, and I'm wondering if it'll have what it takes to make the stronger welds. Plus, given that my dad has the tools I need (and he's not using), really all I'd need now is the metal, and I have the money for that now. Which means, within reason, I can start building my car really soon!! So now I'm at an intersection.

Even my fortune cookie told me today to "Follow the path in my heart"
And the first lucky number was 7.

seesh.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2006, 9:48 pm 

Scott wrote:
aaarrrgggg

All day long I've been weighing the pros and cons of both choices. My dad does have a wire fed, flux core MIG welder. It's a cheaper welder, and I'm wondering if it'll have what it takes to make the stronger welds. Plus, given that my dad has the tools I need (and he's not using), really all I'd need now is the metal, and I have the money for that now. Which means, within reason, I can start building my car really soon!! So now I'm at an intersection.

Even my fortune cookie told me today to "Follow the path in my heart"
And the first lucky number was 7.

seesh.

Any cheap flux core Mig should be able to weld 16 gauge steel. IMO I wouldn't tackle building a chassis without the following essentials:(which are what I used)

Welder
12 foot measure tape (with metric a big plus)
Metal scribe (scatch awl or whatever)
Angle Grinder
Bench vice and hacksaw
Big ass carpenter's square
Goniometer
Space for a build table
Time

Granted this is for the chassis itself minus the suspension pickups and A arms, which I've yet to tackle.

You can save some big money by building your own chassis, just think it through and make sure you are up for it. Buy some metal and practice welding a bit. If after a bit your welds look good and you'd trust them to hold togther a car you and perhaps a loved one will ride in, go for it. If after a fair amount of practice they still look like hell and aren't getting better, spend the money and buy a frame.

For some folks welding comes easy, others can try and try and still suck at it. IMO it's one of those things that either you have it or you don't. After a bit of practice you'll have a good idea whether or not the force is with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11, 2006, 5:52 am 

OK, right now, I'm gonna' try practicing on my dad's welder, but I'm intending on buying the frame from Coveland. After flipping through Ron's book last night, I felt a little overwhelmed and underinspired to do it myself. It's alot of work, and that's assuming you get it right the first time.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11, 2006, 6:26 am 
If you are going to get a frame from Coveland, I would recommend getting their round tube frame chassis. It is made out of 1.25" 16ga round tube, which ends up making the chassis a few pounds lighter than 1"x1" 16ga square tube, and a lot stronger. I bought their first production chassis for my build. I know that I couldn't have welded a better chassis. I am still going to learn to weld, so that I can tackle any mods that I need along the way, and add dzu tabs for removable bodywork.

Best of luck with your project,

http://www.briangt.com/gallery/coveland7

--
Brian