LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 10:37 am 

Well, after many months of planning, and acquiring parts I finally started the build. I have almost finished the build table. I just need to get the 3/4 MDF and weld some caps into the bottom of the legs for adjustability. I also need to clean out the build area since it is a little cluttered right now. You can see the beginning of my table, my engine, diff and transmission, build area, and the other project I am working on at the same time. I need a bigger garage....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by jmanz6 on September 7, 2008, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 2:57 pm 
Databases fear me

stickied

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 6:03 pm 
Databases fear me

are you planning on using the tbird axles and rear spindles?

I've just finished my rear suspension using the same components.
read it here

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 7:03 pm 

Yep, I have the axles and spindles in my basement. I was looking at your design with great interest. I will probably do something very similar. I haven't finalized the rear suspension design since I haven't actually build the pick up points yet. I will build the front part of the frame to the rear bulkhead and then decide how to do the rear with the parts I have available. The front will be a Mustang II spindle based design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 9:43 pm 

Update foir the day is ... well, no update. I had to take apart my boat engine to inspect for water damage. Didn't get time to cut any tubes. The table is finished and leveled. I drew a center line and will be laying out the bottomg frame rails tomorrow hopefully. It's going to be 75 and sunny, so it will be really hard to stay at work all day. Might look bad if I come back to work on Tuesday with a sunburn though... Hope to have more pics tomorrow.

BTW,

Boat engine was ok, just had to flush with WD-40 and fog the cylinders for good measure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 7:07 am 

Here are some pics of where I am right now. Actually I'm a little further, but haven't taken any pics yet. I'm out of steel for now so I will have to wait to build anymore.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4, 2007, 10:50 pm 

I got a bit more done this weekend. It doesn't look like much, but it makes me feel a lot better about where it is. I'm still working on the design for the T-bird IRS so I didn't do anything out back yet. I'm hoping to get it off the table and do some finish welds on the tack joints next weekend.

I finally broke down and got a real protractor (HF on sale for $5.99) and also bought an angle finder (also at HF). Man, do those 2 items make life a ton easier! I should have used them from the beginning... Now I will be able to make the second frame in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 8:36 pm 

Haven't added any updates in a while.

I got my nose from Jack (Kinetic) but haven't really had time to try to fit it. I also ordered a +4 scuttle from COLD but haven't received it yet. I modified my T-bird spindles for use on my Locost. I had purchased a set of 1/2 Heim joints for the upper ball joint but I think I will go with a set of 5/8 joints instead. After looking at the joint, the place it had to be and thinking about the loads it needs to carry I would rather go with overkill. I haven't really tried hard to do the front suspension yet either. I just haven't had time to get into it. I think it will be more of a winter project when I can't work on the Datsun and the dog is finished with dock jumping for the season. Winter will be the time to have the engine prepped as well. I am trading services to get my engine ready. I am welding new floors and truck into a guys 67 Camaro convertible in exchange for him to go thru my engine and install a new cam along with some headwork and a general inspection of the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14, 2007, 2:59 pm 

Quick update with the COLD scuttle in place. It was a great fit and looks awsome. I'm very happy with my purchase. Hopefuly I can get the suspension figured out this winter and get it to a roller status by spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14, 2007, 3:21 pm 

Looking good. Have you started working with the Megasquirt and dual EDIS setup? I am interested to see how that comes out. Would love to see this car at a 3 Balls event in the near future.

Good luck.
Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14, 2007, 4:04 pm 
Databases fear me

LOOKING GOOD.
have you got your suspension figured out yet?

i have the front and rear (basic dimensions) figured out and partially fabricated for mine, but its a +4 chassis, so it'll be a little different than yours. I gan give you a hand figureing it out for your chassis, since I have the dimensions all ready plugged in for mine, I can alter the numbers to mach yours and tweak the design to get geoetry corrected.
PM me and we'll get it sorted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14, 2007, 11:59 pm 

Violentblue I will PM you this weeken d if I get a chance (local dock diving event for the pooch). Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. I've just not had a lot of time to do any real calcs to get it sorted (and it's been FREAKING cold outside). I made some temp control arms to get an idea, but that was months ago. I never really got far with it.

BB69, I do plan on using this car at some 3 Balls events. I could use my Datsun too, but it also isn't in running condition either right now. I am hoping to have the Locost ready for an event in the fall of next year if I am really lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15, 2007, 10:10 am 

Let me know if you can use any help. I am trying to stay busy on my build as well, but it's always nice to meet someone else doing something similar.

Also, if you're interested, come out to some of the events even if you don't have a car to run. There will be plenty of people to give you rides during the day. It will really give you some motivation. :lol:

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 9:54 am 

I hadn't thought about coming out as a spectator/ride along. That's a good idea. Plus, I don't have to worry about my car breaking during the event...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2007, 11:42 am 
A couple of thoughts. The Lincoln Mk VIII diff ihas an aluminym housing and is much lighter and is a direct replacemant for the Tbird unit. The Tbird Super Coupe uses nearly the same trans as the Ranger except it is supposed to be stronger and the shifter is extended rearward which might be a consideration with the 7.