LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently February 27, 2024, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 5:15 pm 

Im very proud (and a little scarred) to begine building. Last night saw the build table being completed, and the final bit of the build area being cleaned.

The donor car is an 84' celica GTS, with a 2.4L 22RE EFI engine (lots o torque :D ) The locost will be a book frame, with IRS (I think like datz's design for uprights), and probably aussie mods thrown in for strength.

The welder I have is a harbor freight tig (I know...but it was free). I still need to get a regulator and argon tank for it (btw, would this be interchangable with a lincoln mig unit if I decide to change?)

basic site i have for now: http://gatechlocost.googlepages.com/

The build table:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 6:03 pm 
spindlefied

Wahoo!

Another Celica donor builder. I'm not sure you'll be able to use the front struts though. I just finished ripping mine down and the struts went in the garbage. I'll probably go with Chevette spindles or (being Canadian) find a Hyundai Stellar at a junkyard.

That engine is torquey as hell, isn't it? Amazing for a 4 cylinder...

Have fun with the build - it looks like we'll be in this together since I'll be moving my shell out of the garage tomorrow night so the build table can go in.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 6:55 pm 

The regulator for the HF TIG will wok on a MIG welder but I would get a CO2/Argon mix tank for the MIG. Use 100% Argon for the TIG and practice before you start tacking the actual frame with the TIG. I have the same TIG and it works great but can be a bear to start a good arc. Once you get the hang of it, you can make some really nice welds. I would recommend getting a MIG though as it will be 100X easier to do the tacking and finish welding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 12:22 am 

for the front strut problem I plan to do something like http://www.7builder.com/Tips/FrontSuspension.html. It is the same concept as kurt (kimini) has.

I never got to drive the celica (:/) but have started it and moved it a few inches...so far its handled every turn ive throw at it!

but...I have driven a friends 1/2 ton 22RE engined pickup, and have no worries :]

jmanz...what do you mean by co2/argon mix tank? use seperate bottles and a mixing valve?

-Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 1:34 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Quote:
so far its handled every turn ive throw at it!

Made me smile, thanks

eVox co2/argon mix (premixed, one tank...sold that way)

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5, 2007, 3:37 pm 

engine is out and on it's stand. Somehow I lost one of the bellhousing bolts...sigh. Gonna pick up steel tomorrow hopefully.

But I've made a mistake...I got a tank of CO2 instead of Argon...will this work for tig welding or do i need to go and try and exchange them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5, 2007, 6:27 pm 

For TIG you want 100% argon. The CO2 won't work for you. I would exchange it or buy a MIG while you are at the welding store....

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 3:25 pm 

steel is in. If you are in the atlanta area, definately go to www.imsgasteel.com for your steel needs. Huge stock, nice people. They ran out of what I wanted (1"x1" 16ga 20' sections), so they upgraded me to 24' sections for the same price. So I saved 4 dollars from what I was quoted AND got 24' extra. They also cut everything in half for me. I got enough steel for the frame basics.

Got Argon. Linde Gas was helpful with the exchange. I still need an adaptor for the gas lines to attach to the tig unit. I do have another tig handle/gun setup (which directly connects to the regulator) , but...it has no wire to attach the negative electrode to the tig unit. It does have a brass reducer (for the argon line), so would the negative need to be clamped to the reducer to use this setup? What is the point of feeding the argon though the tig unit (as opposed to connecting the gun/handle directly to the regulator?)?

The celica. Man, are cars without engines, drivelines, suspensions, wheels, tires, gastanks, interiors, and dashboards light or what?! I can lift the front end off the jackstands with my bare muscles alone! Wait...maybe I've just gotten really strong...yeah thats it!

Dash is gone, only thing left to take off the car are the rest of the wiring harness (holy jeeze there are a lot of wires! I cant imagine a new luxary car...) and the few components the wires are connected to in the engine bay. Also, I delt with Toyota's joke of an anti-theft system (a special circuit board key with 8 black wires, most of which are duds!).

Engine is happily on its stand. Started to degrease/clean it/remove things but figured this can all be done later or when I'm out of other things to do. Anyone have any tips on cleaning/degreasing?

whats next:
after a hell-week with three tests (dynamics, computing techniques, and circuits), I plan on getting the tig up and going and starting to do lots of practice. Also, finish stripping the Celica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 8:50 pm 

Got to the welding store and perplexed them with the strange argon fittings on the harbor-freight tig. Eventually we ended with a barbed sleeve, hoseclamp, make fitting, and inert gas line coupling.

Tig welding is tricky stuff! I think ive burned through about 1/4" of the tunsten, and scratch starting is still hit-or-miss. Did one nice bead then it started raining :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15, 2007, 2:57 am 

So I lied about tig welding. It is actually quite easy. I already like it more than mig. You have tons more control about mixing the metals, and you arn't stuck adding more filler metal if you just want to melt and blend one little area. As for scratch starting, scrach on a piece of copper that is live on what you are welding! It won't contaminate the tungsten!

As for the quality of the welds, Im not completely sure. I think I might be cheating with the beads, by using the torch the blend the filler metal instead of heating a large puddle and just touching the filler rod in and letting it disperse on its own. So far I can lay an alright bead (not too pretty) and weld two pieces together. Testing the welds with brute force makes the metal tear right on the edge of the weld (is this where it should tear?)

Also, I met someone who used to circle track race 3rd gen celicas. He reccommends a top end rebuild for the engine, including a valve job and new spicy TRD cams. Cool.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21, 2007, 11:01 pm 

got a lot done today. The main bottom section of the frame is done (with only tack welds). The 'L' section is cut and jigged up for welding, cutting those compound angles was a fun mind exercise... :D

So far about 9 hours into the chassis...

got a bunch of pics...but im getting:

Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.

anyone got ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21, 2007, 11:48 pm 
Well, it appears we've got a 50 meg limit on all attachments set, and we're currently at 52 megs, so I'd guess that's what it means. :)

You might want to look into get a free image hosting account @ someplace like imageshack or photobucket. I think you can even get space w/ Flickr or if you have a google account, I know Picasa has free web storage of pictures.

--JOsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22, 2007, 7:33 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Most internet providers have free(included with access & email) web space too, along with templates to setup your own site.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22, 2007, 10:16 am 

Congrats on being the first to hit the limit. Time to do some housecleaning I guess. Bear with us please we'll get it taken care of soon.

*EDIT* Should be good to go. I just doubled our photo upload space quote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8, 2007, 11:09 pm 

My website is finally polished enough to be 'live.' Many thanks to my wonderful girlfriend for sorting out the code. Lots of posts content wise to fill you in if you have some time for reading...

http://www.gatechlocost.com/

I plan on making it a resource for future builders. The build diary is a small part, eventually it will have pages of discussion of every part on the car, along with tips and improvements that could be made (including other design methods too).

Bookmark it, check it out, tell your friends, or print out the pages and make hats for your pets...

Let me know if anything breaks!