LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently August 11, 2020, 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14, 2007, 1:10 pm 

Where did you guys get your drive shafts built?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14, 2007, 2:11 pm 

iwantalocost wrote:
Where did you guys get your drive shafts built?

Good question. That's next on my list of projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14, 2007, 9:40 pm 
The Locost mailing list just discussed this. Most people went to a local driveline shop, and typical prices for a one-piece driveshaft made of all-new parts seem to be right around $250.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15, 2007, 12:34 am 

I think I just hit the motherload of driveshaft part specs:
http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Rockfo ... atalog.pdf

From: http://www.rockforddriveline.com Big catalog, lots of good info. I plan on ordering all of the parts and having my local automotive machine shop guy assemble and balance it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 1:46 am 

this us just idle speculation, but why must you use the typical method of driveshaft? I was pondering the other day about what would happen if you used something like a 1" peice of common pipe with the right fittings on the ends well enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 9:11 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Driveshafts? What the heck are driveshafts... half-shafts maybe. Oh, wait, this isn't the midi forum.

Kidding aside, visit your local drag race shop. If they don't have a machine shop that handles it there, they'll know one. I was in a local shop and, along the window, were about a dozen 12" sections of driveshaft, looking like they'd run through a taffy machine. They all came off cars with stupid hp and a stock driveshaft...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 10:06 am 

I abandoned my usual search method and pulled out the phone book yesterday. I should've done it first. I looked under D and found a listing for "Drive Line Service Inc." I called them up and the guy said he figured he could make me a custom shortened balanced shaft with new replacable U joints for around $125. Sold. I'm going to go over there as soon as I get the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 2:12 pm 
For some reason, people are scared of the yellow pages. Even small towns have all sorts of resources available if you just look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 3:18 pm 
spindlefied

That one is coming up quickly for me as well. There's a place I drive by every day on my way to work that I'm going to use. My driveshaft right now is almost five feet long, it'll get chopped down to closer to two feet.

And with the thing spinning two and a half inches away from my hip - I'm getting a pro to do it.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 3:39 pm 
Databases fear me

mookie wrote:
And with the thing spinning two and a half inches away from my hip - I'm getting a pro to do it.

Chicken

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 5:08 pm 
spindlefied

violentblue wrote:
mookie wrote:

Chicken

Have you seen my welds? How about you let me practice on yours? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 7:06 pm 

I dropped the driveshaft off today during my lunch hour. I took in the 1990 driveshaft and the pinoin flange from the 88 RX-7 Diff. The guy was really nice and wanted to know about my project and what not. He was suprisingly willing to try and help minimize costs. He said he would only have to replace the one U joint on the back of the shaft. He also said I could use the stock 1990 Miata U joint flanged yoke to attach to the RX-7 diff pinion flange despite the fact the bolt patterns are different. He said that the flanges on the pieces were a match and that was the important thing. He said that the bolts are only there to stop rotation, but the flanges are what keys it in and gives it the strength it needs to stay put. He went in the back and removed the flanged yoke from the back of the driveshaft, brought it out and showed me how to rotate it 45 degrees on the diff flange and drill the new holes. He said he would have the modded driveshaft ready tomorrow, and for me to drill out the flanged yoke and bring it to him tomorrow and he would assemble it all when I picked it up. I told him to go ahead and replace the other Ujoint while he was at it.

He said the cost shouldn't be over $100.

Oh and regarding doing it yourself. He said I could have done it myself and been fine. He said that a driveshaft that short (under two feet) has to be pretty bad out of balance or see some rediculously high speeds for any vibrations to be felt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 1:32 pm 
This has been a stumbling block for me, too. There's only one shop near me (i.e., that doesn't require a $65 ferry ride) that will do drive shafts. They charge almost $1000 (yes, a grand!) to build/balance one, assuming you supply the parts. There's locost, not-so-locost, and then there's ridiculous!

I might try it myself. I have access to a lathe for the cutting, I certainly trust my welding, and as for balancing, I have access to a buddy's motorcycle shop wheel balancer that might work.

Worth a shot... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 6:12 pm 
spindlefied

chetcpo wrote:
He said that a driveshaft that short (under two feet) has to be pretty bad out of balance or see some rediculously high speeds for any vibrations to be felt.

well, my 22RE has a 5500 rpm redline so spinning quickly isn't the issue. I'm sure I could be as careful as I could but with my luck, it would still wobble apart. I'm still getting someone else to do it for me. This chicken wants to keep all his tail feathers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 6:46 pm 
Databases fear me

mookie wrote:
This chicken wants to keep all his tail feathers...

I agree, I consider myself to be a capable welder, but if the driveshaft goes wrong, it'll go wrong quickly, and take bits of me with it, and to be honest, I'd rather keep my bits.