LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 3, 2021, 6:42 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

rx7locost wrote:
The wonderful thing about hydraulics is they work both ways. I wonder, if you used the "pull" slave cylinder mentioned earlier as a master? The Jensen cable clutch mechanism could pull the shaft and create the hydraulic pressure necessary to move the K1200 slave. If necessary a lever could be used to adjust the ratio. Just thinking out of the box with nothing but cobwebs in my head. May be worth an investigation?

TBH, some times I wonder too far and get lost. Maybe this is one of them? :roll:

It could be used. A tee outlet with one branch to the reservoir and a small check valve close to the tee.

Buying a bike master with no specs for bore/stroke or banjo size is more expensive than buying nothing. Without enough fluid displacement available from a full stroke, it is a paper weight.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 8:16 am 

I forgot about a reservoir. But, but and but again, unlike a brake system where pad and shoe wear requires constantly changing volume of fluid, a clutch system does not change the volume needs over time, the throw remains the same. Right?

I don't know if thermal expansion of the fluid would require some sort of device to move fluid up to the reservoir.

If using a check valve, as you suggest, it would require some sort of pressure applied to overcome the spring pressure right? And it wouldn't allow thermal expansion of the fluid to move up to the reservoir.

Maybe just an electrically activated valve to the reservoir that would close when the clutch pedal moves the first bit, like a brake light switch. It would remain open most of the time.

Just spitballing here. Not expecting this to be implemented. Probably MV8's suggestion to pull the motorcycle handgrip is most appropriate. An alternative, if it can be packaged and be accessible when implemented, would be to skip the cable and have the back of the clutch pedal leg press directly on the motorcycle lever.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 10:52 am 

rx7locost wrote:
But, but and but again, unlike a brake system where pad and shoe wear requires constantly changing volume of fluid, a clutch system does not change the volume needs over time, the throw remains the same. Right?

Maybe practically true, but remember back in the day when we had cable clutches and we had to periodically adjust them to keep the pedal in the same place? I do think there is a need or at least a want of some compensation of disk wear, but agree it's minor compared with brakes.

PostPosted: August 4, 2021, 1:26 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I’m not saying it is the best way to go, just that it could be done. Precisely drilling a compensation port to just miss the seal would be difficult and tig welding a boss over the hole to accept a hose to a reservoir would probably wreck the anodized bore.

The volume changes. The pressure plate levers have a ratio that multiplies the disc wear.
The check valve should screw on so it isn’t pushed off from the pressure and be small to restrict flow to the reservoir. A check valve doesn’t block all reverse flow or slow leaks. It could be modified to leak more than normal. We just don’t want to waste master displacement toward blowing the cap off the reservoir.

I also suggested a pull rod to replace the cable and bolt the master mount to the firewall.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 5, 2021, 7:53 pm 

Bent Wrench wrote:
I'd say it will be considerably more difficult and expensive to do the cable monkey motion than it would to attach a Cycle rear master cylinder to the clutch pedal.
Most have a remote reservoir which makes the install that much easier.

You can't use a slave for a master as there is no fluid reservoir to draw from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352962135729

That is an interesting idea. I guess I am just worried about hose diameters, pressures, and "displacement" not being compatible between the master and salve. If I just use the MC controls jerry rigged to the clutch cable, while maybe not elegant, I don't have to worry about not enough fluid, or too much fluid, or mismatched hose diameters.

Thanks to everyone who is helping, I really appreciate it.