LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 5:24 pm 

Hey All,

I'm exploring the development of a more affordable reverse gearbox for us locost BECers. I've sourced the componments that may help drive the price under $1000.00 US - this should save $400-500 opposed to the 1500.00 + solutions provided by Quaife and Westfield Sportscars LTD in the UK. My design will use readly available OEM components, so sourcing replacement parts will be fairly cheap and easy - I may structure my design whereas one could purchase a partially built reverser box (casing, reverse idler gear and output shaft included only), enabling the buyer to fill-in the missing components from the OEM source - this option may driving the purchase cost down even further. Turkey-key solution might come a short-term warranty on key components.

I've found that those boxes available to today (mine included below) lacks a good oil seal design around the in/output shafts; oil spews just about from every seam.

I'm new to this board, but have been a member on the locostbuilders.co.uk for several years. I have a Busa-based locost using a euroTech FR2000 reverser box (first -gen box) I purchased off ebay for $200 back in 05'. Even though the FR2000 has a lot wear/tare from the previous owner, It has worked very well so far. What scares me is that there are no available replacement parts (i.e output shaft, bushing, companion flanges) due to them being propriatary from the UK and/or no longer available - so when the components fail, the box becomes useless.

I'm using subaru prop shaft fitted with non-standard sliding yoke/flange. Diff is a Subaru 3.9 visious LSD from a 91-92 Legacy turbo (very rare). Front prop shaft mounts to the busa using the Hawk flange adapter. TIP: I will be using the Hawk Flange adapter with my reverse box design :D

I just want to get a feel for who would be interested and I should have working protoype ready by the beginning of summer. Please give me some feedback if anyone is in the market to purchase a made in the USA reverse gearbox.

thanks,

Ryan

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 6:11 pm 

Don't know if this is worth anything but there was/is a company in the US that builds reverse boxes for dragsters and they have a smaller version that they can make for BEC's. They are a planetary design and can handle several hundred horsepower, are very small, and apparently bulletproof. The company is called Jaxports not sure of any other info right now but I did track them down a year ago and they would make a small run if desired, I think the price was in the $1200 mark.

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 8:56 pm 

I've been kicking around the same idea. Provide a case, shafts, flanges & etc. Then specify the hard-too-make parts (gears, bearings, etc) from a common transmission like a TH-350 or maybe some kind of common FWD transaxle.

But if someone else does all the R&D and can bring a product to market, I'd certainly prefer to buy.

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 11:52 pm 

Would it not be easier to sell a universal electric reverse kit? I am taking the Westfield reverse box out of my Megabusa simply because they are prone to leaking, it will decrease the overall weight of the car, and it will free up some drivetrain losses. I am replacing the reverse box with a 2-piece driveshaft + carrier bearing assembly from Bailey Morris in the UK.

PostPosted: January 29, 2010, 2:44 pm 

here's the latest photo updates of the new reverse gearbox being designed. I'm hoping to have the prototype completed by spring.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 29, 2010, 6:39 pm 

http://www.jaxports.com/
here is there website

PostPosted: January 29, 2010, 7:35 pm 

I've checked out www.Jaxports.com and what's already been told from this board, they only consider group purchases for their box. My goal is to offer a product right at $1k or less. My design will be comparable with jaxports in durability too, capable up to 300+ hp. If I bring it to market and sell only 15-30 boxes that's successful!!!! More importantly, it's has to be safe and reliable.

The world is a big place with many people so there should be enough pie left over for me too.. :D I'm confident but realistic in regards to proven products available now (Quaife, Jaxports) - we'll see..

I'm also working on a BEC mid-engine application that could be very promising. Can't focus on that right now though, I have get this reverse box completed and tested.

PostPosted: January 30, 2010, 12:31 am 
The voice of reason

Good luck Ryan. I was wondering where you were off to. If you want a few customers, I think putting pictures and updates here of your progress as you go a long will help build up some interest for you. So keep us posted, please.

PostPosted: January 30, 2010, 1:35 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

rad wrote:
http://www.jaxports.com/
here is there website

Umm...it looks like there is nothing there but a picture and an email address. Am I missing something?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: February 5, 2010, 3:36 pm 

A peak :shock: into the unfinished internals...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 5, 2010, 3:44 pm 

Is there a reason you couldn't just run a starter motor who's gears mesh somewhere along the driveline (driveshaft)?

PostPosted: February 5, 2010, 6:22 pm 

probably could....Seems like the reverse box is an overkill just to go into reverse for moment.. My driveway is at an incline and i like backing my loco into the garage often. I guess its a matter of preference and money....

Electric reverse is becoming an even more popular, cost-effective option though

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 12:44 pm 

made some progress on the reverse box by adding the output shaft. Box weighed in at 19lbs without the shell casing and oil - still kinda heavy. I believe I can shed some more weight (4-5 lbs) through milling out additional material in the bearing plates and grinding down the forward engagement gear depicted in the picture. In a final version I will also push to reduced the dimensions too to shed weigh.

what's left is to finish the shell covering and the fork-level mechanism to engage the forward/reverse gears

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 2:54 pm 
The voice of reason

Wow!

So how much work to include 2 forward gears instead of just one. So you get reverse, a cruising and around town speed and a range for track use?

What would a project be without feature creep?

It seems that would address all the issues that people are having with bike engines. The reverse and also the difficulty to get a reasonable rear end ratio,

This probably how Mr. Hewland got started in the business...

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 3:21 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Wow!

So how much work to include 2 forward gears instead of just one. So you get reverse, a cruising and around town speed and a range for track use?

What would a project be without feature creep?

It seems that would address all the issues that people are having with bike engines. The reverse and also the difficulty to get a reasonable rear end ratio,

This probably how Mr. Hewland got started in the business...

horizenjob nailed it! :lol:

I've been looking into different options for hi/lo (and reverse) gearing for a BEC myself. The lack of a torque provided by a bike engine needs to be made up for with lower gearing when racing. But that kind of low gearing is unreasonable on either the street or tracks with big straights where you would top out low gearing; Road America, Sebring, BIR, VIR, Graten, Mid-O, etc.

Being able to select between hi & low gears on the fly (mid-straight) would be a really useful feature. Honestly I think that the hi/low is more important than reverse to me. I can always use a budget electric reverse solution with a rheostat triggered through the throttle pedal. If I'm going to spend more than "locost" money, the solution needs to address both issues.

Oh, have you decided on input and output offsets yet? Lowering the bike engine and moving it more towards the longitudinal center line of the car after allowing for the "rear" (or right) offset of the original drive sprocket would also be nice. That would allow builders to center and lower the engine in the car while still maintaining a fairly straight path to a center mounted differential. This assumes a longitudinally mounted bike engine and car differential, of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next