LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: October 4, 2010, 8:02 pm 

Looks good. I wouldn't worry too much about it being hard to shift, it can be pretty hard to shift a bike transmssion by hand with just the little lever, so if you can do it that way with yours it should be fine when you get a real linkage/lever setup on it.

PostPosted: October 4, 2010, 11:04 pm 

Hi Glen,

The primary reason why engaging in reverse is difficult is the gear spacing between the output shaft and the reverse gear. May have to grind and bevel the reverse gear a bit overcome the issue. Reverse-to-forward works flawlessly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 5, 2010, 12:21 am 

looks good!
when are you going to put some power to it ?

PostPosted: October 5, 2010, 8:48 am 

As soon as I can mold the rubber washers for the socket cap screw bolts. I have a machinist making me a mold which consists of several 3/8" socket cap screw holes tap threaded #24. Wax up the bolts/mold, screw in bolts and pour in rubber.

PostPosted: October 6, 2010, 8:33 am 

Yahshuatwo wrote:
As soon as I can mold the rubber washers for the socket cap screw bolts. I have a machinist making me a mold which consists of several 3/8" socket cap screw holes tap threaded #24. Wax up the bolts/mold, screw in bolts and pour in rubber.

why not buy em?? you can get straight rubber or rubber vulcanized steel washers. you can also countersink the hole for an O-ring (my preference)

PostPosted: October 27, 2010, 12:25 pm 

All, i'm still awaiting my machinist to finish the mould to make the rubber washer seals for the reverse box. I gave him to the end of the month to finish the mould and the new patterns for the reverse box bearing plates. As stated before, the new bearing plates will be smaller/lighter than the prototype design now. If you go back a page on this post you can see the size comparison of the my prototype and an old 1st gen EuroTech FR2000 box. The new reverse box I plan to sell will be approxiately the same dimensions as the FR2000.

I'm really itching to put some BUSA POWER to the reverse box and upload the vid to youtube, but I don't want to rush it and be scene with my "britches" down - meaning I don't oil leaking all out of the box. So hopefully the custom socket cap screw washer seals will prevent this.

PostPosted: November 6, 2010, 3:40 pm 

Finally decided to make my own socket cap screw rubber washer seal (I know a long description) using my old FR2000 gearbox. I took the bearing plates and sandwiched them together first. Next, I mixed up some for RTV Urethane rubber and poured it into the cap screw bolt holes to let cure overnight. I will place the washers on the bolts and tighten the box together. This will assure that NO OIL will seep thought the cap screw holes during operation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 8:57 pm 

I'm going to put some power to the reverse box this weekend, look out for the utube vid

PostPosted: November 15, 2010, 3:44 pm 

I was unable to get the reverse box implanted and tested this past weekend, I will shoot for this upcoming weekend. I spent Saturday visiting VIR (Virgina International Raceway) right outside of Danville,Va - What a beautiful venue!!. My brother particapated in a Audi Club test/tune/race weekend where there were Audi S4s/RS4s, Audi R8s, Porsches and etc on the track. The Audi R8 is a bad-ass machine!!

I've heard that some BEC locost owners meet there also to race occasionally too.

The first test i'm going to do will have car chassis on stands. Once that tests well, I'll test on the road. My car is strip-down so i'm having to put everything back to together - rear suspension is in and i'm going to put the engine in over the next few days.

PostPosted: November 15, 2010, 7:28 pm 

We are waiting, and watching with interest...

James

PostPosted: November 16, 2010, 10:35 pm 

what's the estimated cost going to be approx?

PostPosted: November 16, 2010, 11:48 pm 

$1k.

PostPosted: December 4, 2010, 12:00 am 

quick update.. I got the engine and reverse box (not fastened) in the chassis. I've fired up the engine a couple times this week and its running bad though. Secure the rbox in this weekend and go from there..

PostPosted: December 4, 2010, 9:10 pm 

Yahshuatwo wrote:
$1k.

that's not too out of hand, I will continue to watch your progress.

PostPosted: December 4, 2010, 10:39 pm 

Spam16v, I'm really pushing my best to get this rbox trial tested, I just continue to run into snags during preparation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next