LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tuck Shrink tool
PostPosted: November 19, 2019, 8:18 pm 

Made a tuck shrink tool out of some HF nail sets and an old Volvo push-rod. Just peeled the rubberized coating off the punches and welded 'em up. It should help me gather and form body panels over the rounded corners of the boot.
Attachment:
IMG_0473-1.jpg

Total cost $4 and I even got an extra nail set out of the deal. Here's how it is used:
https://garage.eastwood.com/tech-articl ... ck-shrink/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Post subject: Re: Tuck Shrink tool
PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 10:43 am 

Interesting tool. And video link. I may have to make one for myself

Such a tool for this application is unnecessary IMO. Forming and shrinking using the tube as a form, while occasional annealing if necessary, is pretty easy. Gentle steps rather than big steps helped me. Image

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 10:55 am 

Where's my tucking fork:)

Graham  

PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 12:54 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Interesting tool. And video link. I may have to make one for myself

Such a tool for this application is unnecessary IMO. Forming and shrinking using the tube as a form, while occasional annealing if necessary, is pretty easy. Gentle steps rather than big steps helped me.
Nice job on that corner, Chuck.

On my first boot corner I still have some big gathers to anneal/beat out. I think the second corner should go easier by first setting up the metal gathers with the fork. Agreed it's not necessary, but the fork should help make for smaller, more consistent gathers and speed the proess.

FastG wrote:
Where's my tucking fork:)
:rofl:

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 2:53 pm 

I found my tucking fork.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 6:04 pm 

FastG wrote:
I found my tucking fork.
Lovely vintage fork, Graham! I like how the gap between the tines stays close along its length. I suspect this would give a tighter tuck :roll:

I may do some blacksmithing to "adjust" my gap, or weld-up another fork with the handle-end of the legs spread to make the tine-gap consistent.

PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 6:26 pm 

Sooooo
Of course I want one of these cause you have one. So I went to Amazon and typed in 'tuck fork', of course the search came up zilch.
But I did receive an Amazon education, it suggested "tuck underwear trans", there were all kinds of tuck ginch (Noun. ginch. (Canada, Alberta and British Columbia, slang) Underwear, especially men's briefs.) to be bought, made me shiver...............

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 20, 2019, 7:17 pm 

Dagger tools sells them
I made my own when i had to form the flange in my trunk opening. The flange caused the body to flatten. Fixed by tuck shrinking then hammer/dolly the tucks. Annealing helps a lot.

Look up Wray Schelins Proshaper video on youtube. He shows several easy, effective and cheap methods to shrink metal.

PostPosted: November 26, 2019, 11:57 pm 

Made Tucking Fork version 2. Same HF $4 nail sets, just laid out differently. Not nearly as elegant as Graham's vintage fork, but should work better than my version 1.
Attachment:
P1015067-1.jpg

The spacing between the tines was set with a piece of 16g steel while welding, but the gap tightened when the welds cooled. Probably should have use a 14g spacer. Should still work with 0.50 aluminum sheet before it fattens up during the shrink process. The sides should get some bracing to keep them from twisting while vigorously tucking.

PostPosted: November 27, 2019, 10:32 am 

Nice, Tom. Practically a Snap-On in terms of appearance. Do you think that one tack weld will do it? I'd be tempted to add a little bead myself.

Cheers

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 27, 2019, 2:57 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Nice, Tom. Practically a Snap-On in terms of appearance. Do you think that one tack weld will do it? I'd be tempted to add a little bead myself.
Thanks, Lonnie. Agreed, it needs some beefing up. With enough torque applied, the legs can twist, "walking" the tines around that lower weld. The legs are a little far apart to get a bead long enough to be effective. Given their separation, welding plating across/between the legs should provide enough strength.

PostPosted: December 11, 2019, 1:48 am 

Tucking fork version 2 got beefed up with a side plate to keep the tines from "walking" when torque is applied. The gap was also increased slightly with a sanding belt. Works better now. Total cost $4.
Attachment:
PC105086-1.jpg

Another type of tucking tool is made by modifying channel-lock pliers. Ted Atkins sent me this picture of a one he dug out of his tool box.
Attachment:
Vintage tucking tool.jpg

So I spent another $4 on a pair of cheap channel-lock pliers (hidden on the bottom shelf at HD), cut up some 1/4" rod and fired up the welder. Here's the result:
Attachment:
PC105089-1.jpg

The corrugated strip of aluminum in the background was a tucking test piece (say that real fast :oops: ) Both tools have their place and work well. Next step is to use them to start the shrinking of my second boot corner.

PostPosted: December 11, 2019, 8:34 am 

Tom - an oak "slapper" is a great way to flatten the tucks and finish the metal without marking or re-stretching. I made a few from a piece of wood from a pallet. In UK they call them flippers...apparently over there a "slapper" is a "loose woman"

https://www.instructables.com/id/Autobody-Wood-Slapper/

PostPosted: December 11, 2019, 9:23 am 

If you are working with aluminum, and need a smooth mar free surface, cover the slapper's working surface with leather. You can never have to many slappers with different contours. Davew

PostPosted: December 12, 2019, 9:36 pm 

Sean in CT wrote:
Tom - an oak "slapper" is a great way to flatten the tucks and finish the metal without marking or re-stretching. I made a few from a piece of wood from a pallet. In UK they call them flippers...apparently over there a "slapper" is a "loose woman"

https://www.instructables.com/id/Autobody-Wood-Slapper/
Sean, great idea and helpful video link, I'm on it. BTW, I'm envious of your build. I'd love to do something like that someday.

davew wrote:
If you are working with aluminum, and need a smooth mar free surface, cover the slapper's working surface with leather. You can never have to many slappers with different contours.
Thanks, Dave, that sent me off to the leather shop. I could have bought belt blanks of various widths but chose to go with a piece of scrap leather @ $4 a lb. Plenty left for more slappers (not the UK kind. :oops: )

After rummaging around in my lumber pile, I came up with a 30" piece of CVG Doug Fir (worth its weight in gold.) I was holding it back for a fitting project, but what could be better than making it into tools. :D

So starting here:
Attachment:
PC125090-1.jpg

I ended up with this a couple of hours later:
Attachment:
PC125091-1.jpg

Which was so much fun on a rainy day I did it again:
Attachment:
PC125092-1.jpg

Now off to flatten some tucks!