LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: January 15, 2014, 8:56 pm 

Looks like you'll be running on backside of ring gear?

bnc

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 3:55 am 

Any chance you can provide some information the default and optional gear ratios for that unit? What about the weight? Are there any limited slip possibilities? You seem to have found a "shiny" that's interesting enough to have me considering the potential benefits of modifying my current build plan, lol.

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 12:18 pm 

It's a Dana 35.

Some good info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml

According to that though, in the Ranger the earlier units were reverse rotation and the later units were standard rotation...I would have expected the Explorer to mirror this, but maybe not?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 1:07 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The diff rotates the normal direction in both the explorer with the correct transfer case and when turned around for this build so oiling isn't an issue. The transfer cases match the diff application for normal or reverse. That is one reason why the diffs are not interchangeable without changing the R&P.

You can do the same thing with a tbird diff but it requires $$$ for new short and long axles. A straight axle from a narrow vehicle with one axle and tube shortened would be cheaper and cleaner, like they use with legends racers which are single seat, bec, offset drive and narrow.

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 1:25 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
RoosterBooster wrote:
dont have one at hand right now but according to a post of Miatav8 in another thread here it is 8 lbs
i assume as pictured below (no hub flange installed)

however, i found out that the T-b hub is 28 splines so it is not compatible with the 27 spline explorer axles :(
that would have been too easy :P

:wink:

Are you sure they aren't compatible or did you read that somewhere? Sometimes they leave a tooth off the cv but the hub is broached for the extra tooth. It just isn't filled by the cv stub.

Miatav8

not 100% sure ...
but i know the explorer is 27 splines (uniformly splined)
and as i recall from working with 8.8 (Mark VIII) IRS`s on some sandrails the VW style axle/CV`s are compatible with the ford splines
... and the VW`s are 28 spline (also uniformly splined) :(

i would love to use the T-bird/mark VIII uprights; they are amazingly light but very strong !
never managed to brake or damage one, even with some serious "air time" like with this relative heavy Cobra powered 4-seater :o

i also like the "hardpoints" on it ; they are perfect for building a compact H- & I- arm suspension layout (similar to the stock ford design)

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 1:35 pm 

1970manxsr wrote:
Looks like you'll be running on backside of ring gear?

bnc

manx

no :wink:

for some reason Ford was running the Explorer IFS on the backside (they used "standard rotation" cut gears),
other models like for example the F150 used "reverse rotation" cut gears in the IFS

the advantage is that if i buy a used Explorer Dana 35 IFS it should have all the wear on the back side of the gears,
and not on the side that i`m going to use :P

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 2:51 pm 

erioshi wrote:
Any chance you can provide some information the default and optional gear ratios for that unit? What about the weight? Are there any limited slip possibilities? You seem to have found a "shiny" that's interesting enough to have me considering the potential benefits of modifying my current build plan, lol.

Driven5 wrote:
It's a Dana 35.

Some good info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml

According to that though, in the Ranger the earlier units were reverse rotation and the later units were standard rotation...I would have expected the Explorer to mirror this, but maybe not?

Driven5
that is an excellent link; thank you :wink:
.... however the Ranger and the Explorer model years (and parts) differ significantly (kinda typical ford :roll: )

thanks to your link i just learned that the 3th generation Explorer (after 2002) used a D30 in place of the D35 ...
i wonder if that one would be even lighter and better for my BEC ?!?
i do know that the 3th gen used longer half-axles (deeper rim off-set) compared to the 2nd gen.
that would gain me more possible suspension travel, but maybe the track would be too wide for my application ?!?
i need to look into that some more

erioshi

i`m still "researching" some stuff like availability of LSD and/or lockers
so far i only found a "Trac-lock" available for the Explorer (what is the kinda harsh "Detroit locker" style)
i need to check if maybe other Dana 35 LSD`s (from Jeep applications) are compatible with the IFS D35 :?

the Explorer IFS can usually be found in wrecking yards with 3.55, 3.73 and 4.11 gears ...
for now i didnt do the correct calculations (need to find the exact gear ratios for a possible engine/trans donor),
but i "think" for my bike engine application a 4.11 would be preferable ?!? :|

right now i`m surfing the Timken catalog for alternative Unit-bearings;
the stock Explorer ones have a "modified triangle" 3-bolt pattern...

but if i`m going to build my own uprights (most likely aluminum) i would prefer a "rectangular" or "modified rectangular" 4-bolt pattern
(to spread the load over more bolts & a larger area into the aluminum)
a possible match would be this (also 5 on 4.5 / 27 spline) Subaru WRX Unit-bearing...

i guess i will just order a cheap china knock-off of a potential alternative bearing to check for compatibility
(and use it later as a mock-up for fabricating the uprights)
however, i do believe in using quality parts,
so for the actual car i will definitely use genuine Timken bearings :wink:

PostPosted: January 16, 2014, 5:19 pm 

RoosterBooster,
Great ideas and thoughts here by you an others... While my new plan is not the same as yours, after reading this thread it is different from my old project plans... You caused me to lose some sleep over the last few nights, since discovering this :shock: Thank you. This resurrects a project that had been displaced by others and puts a twist or two into the plan... Seven's are too heavy anyway, right? :wink:

Mine will be more of an American hot rod type of modified/special roadster, which really only changes the nose, I suppose. I have a Hayabusa engine. I'm planning to use Miata spindles/uprights and a Miata differential.

Dean

PostPosted: January 17, 2014, 12:33 am 

DeanD3W wrote:
RoosterBooster,
.... You caused me to lose some sleep over the last few nights, since discovering this :shock: Thank you.

Dean
your welcome :wink: :lol:

i think that is what makes forums like this so interesting;
you (or other members of the forum) always discover "new" or "different" solutions for the things you thinker with 8)

i for myself just spend the better part of today going off in a new direction :ack:
i assumed the 3th gen Explorer carried over the Dana 35 IFS from the 2nd generation,
but thanks to the link posted by "Driven5" i discovered that Ford switched to a Dana "super 30" IFS,
that is still using standard rotation gears

the D30 IFS is smaller & lighter, but actually considered to be just as strong as the D35 IFS
... and best of all there are a bunch of lockers and LSD`s available.

this Auburn Gear ECTED Positraction Locker is my favorite;
http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2960&Product=AG_545017&Brand=Auburn_Gear_&ShowAA=True&Year=2004&Model=Explorer&DriveType=Front%20Diff%20-%204WD&DiffId=121&Source=DiffWizard
price is a little steep at $1000 :shock: ,
but the combination of being a LSD that can be fully locked would work perfect for my intended use
definitely not something i would do right away, but a interesting option somewhat later down the road when the project is up and running.

PostPosted: January 17, 2014, 4:41 pm 

for future reference i made this comparison pic to illustrate the D30/D35 differences :wink: :

the D30er housing itself seems to be slightly smaller/lighter
the heavy D35 steel torque arm/3th mounting point is replaced by a integral aluminum one on the D30.

under the carrier pics i added the matching stock RH axle shaft pics;
note that the D30 (post `02 explorer) is significant longer then the D35( pre `02)

i`m "guessing" that my hub to hub distance will grow from ~60" to something ~65"....

but the advantage is a increase in possible wheel travel;
as i know myself (diehard offroader :roll: ) the chance is very high that i will take this car off the pavement and into the desert and dunes :shock:

(as i posted already) according to our member "Warpspeed" a similar D30 (out of a Australian Nissan Navarra) weights only 32 lbs !

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9269&start=75

this is just perfect for a BEC :wink:

Last edited by RoosterBooster on January 17, 2014, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 17, 2014, 7:16 pm 

made another pic collection for future reference;

i`m thinking to replace the Explorer unit-bearings with Infinity G37 front ones (from the AWD model)

i like the weight savings in the flange casting as well as the 4-bolt rectangular mounting.
according to the Timken data PDF it "should" fit the explorer halfshafts
(hopefully the same 27 spline, roughly the same spline length, 5 on 4.5 BC, ...)

PostPosted: January 24, 2014, 2:46 pm 

that D30 axle looks to be an exelent choice, do you know if the D35 shafts will fit in the D30 axle or if you could make short shafts out of a combination of the two?

just for reference, i looked at the samari, for a live axle solution the samari really looks interesting, the dif is 4" off center, and the addition of a samari transfer case could move the drive shaft another 7 1/2" making an off set of 13 1/2" possible and they all have flanged drive shaft couplings with sliding joints in the shafts.

alternatively, you could use the transfer case as a drop box as was used on the Elva with a fixed IRS diff and go under the seat.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 5, 2014, 9:53 pm 

Hey RoosterBooster, I know this sounds kinda odd, but I can design a modern/retro/futuristic version of that classic racer with you input.

PostPosted: February 6, 2014, 5:58 pm 

jazz2561 wrote:
Hey RoosterBooster, I know this sounds kinda odd, but I can design a modern/retro/futuristic version of that classic racer with you input.

jazz
thanks for the offer 8) ... but thanks to the free Autodesk 3D CAD "123Design" i`m able to work on the design myself :wink:

here are a couple screenshots of the basic layout (still very rough ...):

click link for higher resolution: http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1010754/original/ar1.jpg

high res; http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1010755/original/ar2.jpg

high res; http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1010756/original/ar3.jpg

it looks like this could actually work :shock: (and be a riot to drive :mrgreen: )

the engine "mockup" is a 1300cc Hayabusa
(found detailed dimensions here; http://audacityracing.deviantart.com/art/Hayabusa-Motor-Isometrics-36639378 )
i`m extremely pleased how well the engine matches the rear axle off-set !!!

Track is 60.4" (dictated by the "all stock explorer parts" rear axle)
WB is 88" ... i could go shorter (minus 4-6"), but i`m fearing to loose some straight line stability
(not that i plan to drive in a straight line for long anyway :P )

compared to a A-tom (IIRC 63" Track & 92.3" WB) i`m still significant smaller ...

i got a lot of room between engine and radiator (civic)...
so i`m thinking about flipping my steering rack (18.5" wide Woodward) and may change the spindles to "rear steer" ?!?

what do you guys think ???

> again; any and all critique, suggestions and ideas are very welcome (as well as any questions :P ) <

PostPosted: February 6, 2014, 6:14 pm 

RoosterBooster wrote:
what do you guys think ???

I think Legends/Dwarf cars need to be updated to allow this!...And I think you're giving me a lot of bad ideas right now, that my wife would not be very appreciative of!! :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next