LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Geo Metro mid engine?
PostPosted: July 5, 2020, 7:12 pm 

Has anyone done one of these?

PostPosted: July 6, 2020, 1:36 am 

I am planning to use a Geo Metro engine and trans in a Terrapin/Midlana type build.
The Metro body will be cut up and discarded, I will only keep the front bay to serve as reference for mounting points.

If you meant use the Metro body, I would say it's too flimsy unless you just drape the sheetmetal over a tubular space frame or plunk it down on a ladder frame.

PostPosted: July 6, 2020, 10:03 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
I am planning to use a Geo Metro engine and trans in a Terrapin/Midlana type build.
The Metro body will be cut up and discarded, I will only keep the front bay to serve as reference for mounting points.

If you meant use the Metro body, I would say it's too flimsy unless you just drape the sheetmetal over a tubular space frame or plunk it down on a ladder frame.

I am looking into using it to power a sidecar rig. I was told today that the 1L 3cyl Metro motor was originally used in a snowmobile with a CVT transmission. I don't know how reliable that information is.

PostPosted: July 7, 2020, 12:40 am 

After looking at several MC engines to use in my Tatum build I finally decided that the Metro engine is the trick way to go.
It's already equipped with an automotive oiling system and a flywheel with a real clutch.
Those two items alone save enough $$$ to win over converting a bike engine.
Will not make the crazy power of some bike engines, but hop-up parts are available.
Service life of over 100K miles is common, never see that on a sport-bike engine.
The 1.3 4-cyl. is still an aluminum block and head engine so very light.
The SOHC versions are practically free and incredibly cheap to rebuild in stock form.
Cams are a bit expensive but so are all others.
I will be posting my progress when it happens.

PostPosted: July 7, 2020, 9:47 am 

One of these builds is on my to do list.

Something Midlana-ish would be fun. I just missed out on a wrecked Chevy Sprint last week. It was the precursor to the GEO Metro and was a rebadged Suzuki Swift turbo car. I think it would be an excellent donor.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 23, 2020, 1:02 pm 

Quote:
I was told today that the 1L 3cyl Metro motor was originally used in a snowmobile with a CVT transmission. I don't know how reliable that information is.

I have no doubt it has been used in a snowmobile. It's also popular as an aircraft engine. But Suzuki introduced it in the early 1980s for a Japanese market called "Kei class", which were 600cc cars that met specific size and weight limits, among other things. Kei cars were popular in Japan because licensing, registration, and insurance were substantially lower than for larger cars.

Foreign-market engines were mostly the 1000cc G10 variant. Cylinder heads changed from rocker arms to shim-and-bucket, and some four cylinder variants had four valves per cylinder, but the 600cc version was almost unknown until Caterham snapped up some inventory they found in Japan, a 600cc turbo variant for some kind of light delivery vehicle. Caterham built 160s until they ran out of engines.

I'm somewhat surprised they didn't buy reman 1000cc engines to continue the 160 line, which had a long waiting list, but emissions certification might have been an issue, and some places go by the serial number stamped in the engine block, now matter what specs it was rebuilt to.

PostPosted: July 23, 2020, 2:51 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

RichardSIA wrote:
I am planning to use a Geo Metro engine and trans in a Terrapin/Midlana type build...

I wholeheartedly support this :)

PostPosted: July 25, 2020, 3:14 am 

After doing over a thousand miles and topping over 7,000' elevation in a Geo Metro 1.0 just yesterday, I can say with authority that what these engines really need is less weight to carry.
Trip was uneventful except that on the way back with an extra about 300 Lb's or so of G13B in back performance was noticeably reduced. Yet these cars actually have seating for four!
Engine now has 232,000 miles and still runs well.

As a single seat toy I'm not sure what minimum weight might be, but chopping off even a couple hundred pounds would make for a lot of improvement.
A Terrapin with an Austin Mini 850 was good for well over 100 MPH, the G10 is similar displacement but a much higher red-line from stock.
I'm certain it is also a lot lighter than a Mini engine.

PostPosted: July 31, 2020, 4:55 pm 

Down here at 200' above sea level, I can spin the front tires of my Metro if I try. Rolls along fine in 80mph traffic. But it's mostly flat around here.

At 7,000 feet my V8 truck was getting awfully weak in the knees, so I imagine a Metro might not have much oomph.

Look on eBay, and you can find turbo and mechanical supercharger bits from the Kei-class Japanese cars. Or so the Voices tell me...

PostPosted: August 15, 2020, 3:09 pm 

TRX wrote:
Quote:
I was told today that the 1L 3cyl Metro motor was originally used in a snowmobile with a CVT transmission. I don't know how reliable that information is.

I have no doubt it has been used in a snowmobile. It's also popular as an aircraft engine. But Suzuki introduced it in the early 1980s for a Japanese market called "Kei class", which were 600cc cars that met specific size and weight limits, among other things. Kei cars were popular in Japan because licensing, registration, and insurance were substantially lower than for larger cars.

Foreign-market engines were mostly the 1000cc G10 variant. Cylinder heads changed from rocker arms to shim-and-bucket, and some four cylinder variants had four valves per cylinder, but the 600cc version was almost unknown until Caterham snapped up some inventory they found in Japan, a 600cc turbo variant for some kind of light delivery vehicle. Caterham built 160s until they ran out of engines.

I'm somewhat surprised they didn't buy reman 1000cc engines to continue the 160 line, which had a long waiting list, but emissions certification might have been an issue, and some places go by the serial number stamped in the engine block, now matter what specs it was rebuilt to.

The Metro / Swift was never in the Kei car class in Japan, as it was physically larger than the Kei car regulations allow, and the G-series (G10) 1-liter/993cc engine was also never used in Kei class in Japan.

The Suzuki engine used by Caterham was the Suzuki K6A, (0.66-liter) is still very much available, and still being used in Japan. It may not meet emissions in UK.

bnc

PostPosted: November 9, 2020, 9:05 pm 

Hi Guys, the Suzuki G and M series 1300 and 1600 engines are light, reliable and cheap to build/maintain. I just bought a slnt 4 G16A engine complete with ECU and harness from a van. Its just about 100hp so power to weight ratio should be great.

Cheers.