LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 19, 2020, 12:24 pm 

Alex, you mentioned being in L.A. I'm just curious as to what part? I'm originally from Culver City. Lived in the LA area for about 45 years before heading out to the High Desert, and bought a house in Apple Valley. Finally gave up on Cali all together and moved to the Missouri Ozarks. The little city of Gainesville (Pop. 773) is now my home! Following your build with interest! :cheers:

PostPosted: November 19, 2020, 12:58 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
Alex, you mentioned being in L.A. I'm just curious as to what part? I'm originally from Culver City. Lived in the LA area for about 45 years before heading out to the High Desert, and bought a house in Apple Valley. Finally gave up on Cali all together and moved to the Missouri Ozarks. The little city of Gainesville (Pop. 773) is now my home! Following your build with interest! :cheers:

Hi Mike! I’ve been in a couple of places since I moved to LA. First the arts district in DTLA, then Palms (right by your Culver City) and now I’m in what’s technically called Beverly Fairfax. The car is being built in Silver Lake though.

I hope I won’t disappoint :lol: All the best to Gainesville, I’ve heard the Ozarks are beautiful!

PostPosted: November 20, 2020, 12:38 pm 

215monoposto wrote:
All the best to Gainesville, I’ve heard the Ozarks are beautiful!

Yes, they are indeed! you'll have to come out the next time we have a Locost Midwest Gathering here. I have a couple near me here that are also Cali transplants. The wife, Debbie, went to Culver HS in my Class. The Hubby, Ken, is from the Beverly/Fairfax area. I don't recall which school.

PostPosted: November 22, 2020, 2:02 am 

ngpmike wrote:
215monoposto wrote:
All the best to Gainesville, I’ve heard the Ozarks are beautiful!

Yes, they are indeed! you'll have to come out the next time we have a Locost Midwest Gathering here. I have a couple near me here that are also Cali transplants. The wife, Debbie, went to Culver HS in my Class. The Hubby, Ken, is from the Beverly/Fairfax area. I don't recall which school.

I would love to! I'm in Atlanta a couple of times a year as my better half is from there.

Otherwise today was a bad day. My E55 AMG wagon (a bit of a unicorn) was vandalized by some crackhead. Going to have to repaint the hood, right side, trunk lid. Need four new tires (the two fronts had 100 miles on them) and a new driver side mirror. The guy was arrested but I can hardly sue a crackhead for the damage. At least my neighbors didn't get hurt seeing how he threatened to kill them with the knife he had to carve up my car.

PostPosted: November 23, 2020, 12:44 am 

I'm afraid you'll find that more and more in the LA area. One of the reasons that we moved out to Apple Valley. Unfortunately, in AV, you're still under Sacramento's thumb! The Ozarks changed all of that for us!

PostPosted: November 24, 2020, 5:40 am 

Very cool project!

Have you had the time to start looking at the frame of the car? Will it be a ladder frame or something more in the lines of a space frame?

Cheers,

PostPosted: November 24, 2020, 11:21 am 

Lasso wrote:
Very cool project!

Have you had the time to start looking at the frame of the car? Will it be a ladder frame or something more in the lines of a space frame?

Cheers,

Thank you!

It will definitely resemble a space frame. It’ll be made out of 1.5” 4130 steel. I’m still waiting for components so I can lay them all out for packaging. I don’t expect the chassis design to take too long as I have some help from a couple of friends in that line of work. One of them is an engineer for KTM and designed a CF monocoque for the FSAE team, another designs suspensions for a living. Obviously everything takes longer than planned but I’m putting the pedal to the metal :lol:

I will be cheating a bit as another friend will be welding the chassis for me. I just picked up welding but on this first one, I’ll let a pro do the work. Versions 2 or 3 I might already weld myself.