LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using complete subframe
PostPosted: February 8, 2021, 9:35 pm 

I'm having trouble finding a decent donor for a traditional locost so I'm starting to look at alternatives, and considering a middy build, maybe even a df goblin.

Looking at the DF goblin it uses the complete front subframe control arms, knuckles and macpherson struts. This makes the engineering a lot simpler, and less fabrication. Have most middy builders used the complete subframe in the rear, or engineered everything from the ground up?

I have just ordered the midlana book, pricey, :!: and it's going to take a few weeks to arrive.

PostPosted: February 10, 2021, 2:12 am 

I'm planning a mid engine build which will use the complete subframe, control arms, knuckles and CV axles from a front wheel drive donor car for the exact reasons you mentioned. I don't plan on using the MacPherson struts though. Instead, I will make a custom upper control arm that attaches to the top of the knuckle, to convert the suspension to double wishbone. Here is some information on my web page:

https://midixsportscar.wordpress.com/re ... nd-brakes/

PostPosted: October 3, 2021, 11:01 pm 

winddude wrote:
I'm having trouble finding a decent donor for a traditional locost so I'm starting to look at alternatives, and considering a middy build, maybe even a df goblin.

Looking at the DF goblin it uses the complete front subframe control arms, knuckles and macpherson struts. This makes the engineering a lot simpler, and less fabrication. Have most middy builders used the complete subframe in the rear, or engineered everything from the ground up?

Some of the "complete" donors in the US - things like miatas, f body, mustang, 240sx, volvos, etc if you're looking for a front engine setup.

For mid, any fwd platform can be reverse engineered. The biggest hurdles are spindles, axles, and management. (Compared to doing the math to create suspension arms and the fabrication involved.)

I'm a proponent of the Honda K series. The rwd adapter setups are sub 2k with new transmissions/used readily avalable.

In MR format the stock drivelines will readily suffer 300+hp, probably much more given the light weight/low traction.

They'll readily run on the right junkyard ecu and you can go hondata/kpro later.

Adapting the honda bits to the other bits might be an issue of luck at the parts store, having some custom spline axles made / dropping it off at a driveshaft shop if you don't trust tape measures. Lol.

For FR the ford super 8.8" rear is becoming really popular for retrofits - albeit in larger vehicles (like my ae86).

My plan was get close, and look for guidance on suspension geometry and the related math/modeling program enthusiasts here.

Pencil out a plan and post a build log/feeler and folks will chime in. ^_^

PostPosted: October 6, 2021, 2:42 am 

Management is not really a problem any more.
Lots of options.

PostPosted: October 9, 2021, 11:14 pm 

That's my plan. I'm using an LS4 (auto currently, but may go to a G6 6-speed manual). I have wanted to do it for years, was initially going to use the 3800 S/C GM platform as there's a bajillion of them out there for cheap. I like my V8 sounds too much...

Second pic a a buggy-frankenstein I picked up I'm going to finish first. That's a 4-cyl auto from a Kia Soul (circa 2010). Obviously not well thought out... but I picked it up for a song.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.