LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 27, 2023, 10:59 am 

PostPosted: July 27, 2023, 11:23 am 

The above is likely a Lotus Elise. My late wife rented us one of those for a weekend from an Exotic Car Rental outfit. It's very stiff and strong. There are very few fasteners, but some augment the adhesives in critical places and some mount assemblies.

Notice there are very few curved pieces in the chassis. Mostly, it's simple beams and some folded sheet metal. It sure worked, though.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 27, 2023, 1:37 pm 

To use aluminum as a chassis it takes "engineering". It is not just sticking a few parts together with a MIG welder like most of us do here. To do it right, each and every part requires full analysis, metal prep control of joint thickness, proper curing, and not least, testing.

Here is a long history of aluminum used in automobiles.
https://european-aluminium.eu/blog/alum ... ve-manual/

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 27, 2023, 4:03 pm 

In addition to Chuck's (rx7locost) wise words, there is also the consequence of how aluminum fails. Mild steel like most of us use in Locosts, becomes "plastic" when nearing failure. Practically, that means it may bend, stretch, buckle or otherwise deform before outright failure occurs.

Most aluminums are more brittle in nature than mild steel, and failure can be quick, dramatic and total.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 27, 2023, 9:46 pm 

I did a semi monocoque Locost 7 that I called the Wycked7. Steel subframes front and rear using .065" 6061-T4 sheet, Aeropoxy epoxy adhesive and over 2000 Cherry Q rivets. All seams were bonded. Stiff little car that is still running it the Bay area.
I admit that I copied existing racing designs with an increase in the aluminum alloy thickness. I found a sheet metal shop with a shear and a press brake that gave me a good price for the basic shearing and bending. I designed the suspension with Wishbone (great program).
Build log below.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: July 31, 2023, 11:15 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
The above is likely a Lotus Elise. My late wife rented us one of those for a weekend from an Exotic Car Rental outfit. It's very stiff and strong. There are very few fasteners, but some augment the adhesives in critical places and some mount assemblies.

Notice there are very few curved pieces in the chassis. Mostly, it's simple beams and some folded sheet metal. It sure worked, though.

Cheers,

The Elise is one of the most fun cars I've driven.
Was living in Austin in 04-05 & a buddy of mine & I stopped in to the local Lotus dealer, just to look. They had an immaculate Esprit V8 on the showroom floor.
Was chatting with a salesman while looking at the Elise in the showroom (it had the hardtop on & I hit my knee on the roof getting in it). And I jokingly asked how you get a test drive.
He walked us out to their demo car (a yellow Elise w/ Touring Pkg) & took my buddy for a spin.
He came back & I got a turn, halfway through he pulled off & asked if I could drive a stick, then swapped seats with me. The VVT changeover in that car was nearly like boost lag, noticeable change in power delivery.

My dad worked for a speed shop briefly, last year, and said that they're a real pain to work on.
Happy with the MG for now :D

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899