LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 27, 2020, 7:55 pm 

Hello,

I've had my mind wrapped up in building a Locost since I was 15-16, back then CMC was still in business and my Dad and I were a hair away (from the perspective of a kid) from pulling the trigger on a project chassis from them. But as is the case with many ambitious plans I think we made the wise decision at the time to postpone the build, as my mother put it, "until you're older".

Well, now I'm kicking myself that I don't have a CMC kit stored in the back of the garage because I'm quite a bit older and still fired up about building a Locost!

My question is to the community at large, are there still any frame and or kit manufacturers out there? At a reasonable price? It seems like the sticky was also created when I was a teenager and most links end in 404 errors.

I suppose if not I'm looking for someone's abandoned project...

Thanks!

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 7:17 am 

Where are you located.
I my have a lead on a new Dax Rush frame.
Davew

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 10:31 am 

I spent a lot of time talking to CMC about 20 years ago when I was first thinking about building a 7. Now getting deep into my 4th or 5th car I don't see any advantage to using a kit.

Building the frame is just the first of many many many milestone (or obstacles to overcome) on the path to building a car.

If you can measure accurately enough to do the rest of the project, a frame isn't that difficult.

Next time Out I'm starting with wheels, tires, knuckles, and steering rack, then engine and transmission and designing outward from there.
Why wheels tires and knuckles first? So many decisions flow outward from there and too many times suspension becomes a set of close enough compromises based on decisions we made long long ago.

My 2 cents only. That and a buck may get you a cup of cheap coffee.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 12:27 pm 

davew wrote:
Where are you located.
I my have a lead on a new Dax Rush frame.
Davew

I'm located in. Northern California but willing to take a trip potentially...

TooBusy wrote:
Building the frame is just the first of many many many milestone (or obstacles to overcome) on the path to building a car.

If you can measure accurately enough to do the rest of the project, a frame isn't that difficult.

Point taken, Since my welding skill up to this point has basically been fabricating kickstands, exhaust brackets, and bits of scrap, I was thinking that aspect of the build is a bit foreign to me. I've been working on old vehicles for years and in a motorcycle shop so I feel much more comfortable with other aspects over full-on frame fabrication. However, there is an appeal to build a frame myself, I'm a pretty decent woodworker so I suppose it's just another medium.

@TooBusy , interesting point about starting with wheels/stance first, then engine tranny... assuming a first time builder like myself in 2020 onward (so many posts are a decade or more old so I'm not sure if the information regarding doners, etc is still accurate) what would be your recommendation for these doner parts and basic frame design in the USA? I'm looking for more of a weekend ride vs a track toy.

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 1:37 pm 

I started with somebody's frame that was homebuilt from a CMC tube kit. I changed more than I would like to admit as I adapted things to my donor's IRS engine, trans and uprights. In retrospect, it would have been easier to just build from scratch.

Many years back we had somebody here that would build a book frame (CMC). As I recall the basic frame was somewhere around $1K-$2K. He tired to sell them on eBay. Unfortunately I cannot recall the guy's name.

TooBusy's description of the method to design is 110% correct IMO. Start with the tire patch, then the tires, to uprights, to control arms, then connect the 4 control arms. Place the engine, trans and diff and seating location and frame tubes as needed.

Now where's my cup of cheap coffee?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 2:03 pm 

What about trying to raise Jack at Kinetic?
Paul

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 2:16 pm 

More than one frame recently listed on this very site.

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 5:44 pm 

I have a Stalker Frame, Hood, Rear Fenders, Rear end housing, Wheels, Tires, etc, etc.
Let me know if interested

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 7:32 pm 

I know JPS Europa has an extra frame he might let go of. But he is all the way in Mass.

Thom

PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 9:25 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20548

Not mine, no affiliation, looks like a good start for non-traditional build.

PostPosted: April 29, 2020, 9:31 am 

BostonWill wrote:
I know JPS Europa has an extra frame he might let go of. But he is all the way in Mass.

Thom

It belongs to my son Steve, who is sheltering in place with his family here. He still wants to keep it. Of course, I still want it out of my garage, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

PostPosted: April 29, 2020, 10:42 am 

As a matter of information- I'm driving from Clarkston MI to SoCal in about 2 weeks, Mostly empty in an explorer, if someone needs transport. I'm going by way of Madison WI, dropping Armstrong lever shocks off to Worldwide Autoparts

PostPosted: April 29, 2020, 5:35 pm 

Elldawg wrote:

@TooBusy , interesting point about starting with wheels/stance first, then engine tranny... assuming a first time builder like myself in 2020 onward (so many posts are a decade or more old so I'm not sure if the information regarding doners, etc is still accurate) what would be your recommendation for these doner parts and basic frame design in the USA? I'm looking for more of a weekend ride vs a track toy.

I don't really thin it makes a ton of difference. Currently I'm working with Miata suspension bits and they're *pretty friendly

The Miata rear is a dream to build around. The front is a little bit quirky, but EASY with Jack's kit. I built my own version of Jack's kit and I'm pleased with the results.

Miata powerplants are often pretty cheap. Rusty POS cars are stupid expensive for some reason (Stance Bois)
:roll:

From what I understand Chevette / Fiero spindles are another easy option.

I'd say pick what you know best and go with it. My current build is MGB engine / tranny mated to everything else Miata.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 30, 2020, 2:42 pm 

Elldawg wrote:
Since my welding skill up to this point has basically been fabricating kickstands, exhaust brackets, and bits of scrap,

You're in!

After making the requisite number of steel boogers, burned-off edges, and blowholes, you'll be off and running. It's not rocket surgery, it's a manual skill like juggling or walking a balance beam. The "what" is so simple a lot of people get frustrated by the "practice" part.

Weld some cut-off back into longer sticks for practice, then get to work!

PostPosted: April 30, 2020, 5:46 pm 

10X wrote:
I have a Stalker Frame, Hood, Rear Fenders, Rear end housing, Wheels, Tires, etc, etc.
Let me know if interested

I built Stalker #24 and can vouch for the quality of the builds. You missed a bullet by not going with CMC. A friend put together one of their Miata-based kits and spent huge hours fixing the mistakes.

Dax frames are very good as well.

Whether to build or buy is all about you. When I did my Stalker, I would not have been ready to do a scratch build - it would have been too intimidating.