LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coveland wait time?
PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 9:45 am 

Anyone get something from Coveland lately? How long did it take? I dont mind waiting but its starting to get a little silly with the lack of information I've received.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 11:13 am 
If you look back a little, there were some major issues w/ Coveland a while ago, I thought they had been worked out, but maybe things are getting bad again?

--JOsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 11:35 am 

If you don't mind me asking what did you order?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 11:55 am 

The miata frame kit. Nearing 2 months ago. The last word... the only word I've gotten from Jim is that the frame and suspension was ready he was waiting on some of the other bits he has made elsewhere. I understand this stuff takes a while, especially when its outside of your control. But when you've been given a time frame and work your schedule and plans around it and never get an update... well... *shrug*

Just looking to see if I'm having yet another atypical experience with car stuff. I seem to have wonderful luck when it comes to car related stuff. Most recently, I got 3 bad Mazda reman'd calipers from a very reputable Mazda parts dept (gauled banjo bolt threads, no parking brake adjuster innards and then the wrong parts used in the reman). No one believes me when I tell them the issues I have. Im sure the parts guy thought I was lying until he got the parts in his hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 12:35 am 

YEAH! Got word today. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 1:30 am 

Cool, thanks for keeping us in it. That last guy "DouG" made some pretty harsh accusations before he got his and when it came, he never backed off or indicated any amenable settlement had been reached. I wonder how his kit is coming along.

I'm hoping Coveland landsd on their feet. I will likely be ordering my coilovers from them. I fully expect a wait time measured in months since the ones I want come from over the pond. Hopefully the brutal asskickiing the dollar is takeing at the hands of the Euro and the British Sterling pound won't put them out of reach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 1:50 pm 

I think I was more just kind of feeling kinda crappy that I tore apart my 99 miata. Its hard looking at the pile of parts that was once a perfectly fine (memories of it being fine... the body had a few..... issues) car. And then looking at the empty build space. That and it wont stop raining in Texas and autoxing in the other car is no fun in the rain. And the 99 miata was the wet weather autox vehicle.

I dont want to give any impression that I have a grudge or bone to pick with Coveland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 9:00 pm 

mcfandango wrote:
That and it wont stop raining in Texas

Crazy weather this year, but I'll take it!

Where you at? I'm FTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 11:28 am 

Update:
Communication is still pretty sparse. Last word was shipping issues with FedEx Freight back on Aug7. Have not heard ANYTHING since then. This waiting and not knowing bit is getting old. I'm also quite tired of having my garage full of parts from what used to be a perfectly fine car and nothing to put them into.

At this rate I might as well consider this purchase a Xmas present to myself. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 12:02 pm 

Dang Nick... that is disappointing to hear. I seem to be getting pushed closer and closer every day to going with the Deman kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 12:47 pm 

So where are you now in terms of wait time, about 3 months? When you ordered it did he promise a delivery date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 3:21 pm 
Brunton is more responsive than any company I have ever worked with, even AFTER the sale. I would be more concerned about the support you are going to get after delivery if support ahead of time is this poor.

Last edited by enderw88 on August 30, 2007, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 4:54 pm 

Its at 3 months now. The problem is lack of information or a "dont hold me to this but I'm trying/shooting for X".

I was originally given a 4 week shipping estimate. I had 1 call with him at the end of those 4 weeks, that I initiated. Note, that I had asked a few questions in the meantime that were never answered. Back to the call: Frame,suspension and more were done but there was stuff that wasnt ready and no real projection. At that time he said that he would ship what he had in 2 weeks. About a week after that deadline I got an email saying he was going to get it crated up the next week and gave me a partial total for what he was sending. I paid.... stupid me with a check. Personally, I hate giving credit card companies money. The total would have cleared, depending on his bank but, no later than Aug9th. Altho, he would have known the check was good earlier as the first 5K would have been available ~4th of August by federal law. Check was for 6k.

2 emails since then. The first was about the steering and driveshaft shortening/swap, which at this point I'm not willing to risk waiting on. Since putting the deposit down, this has been the only technical question I've gotten answered since the deposit.

The next was the email on Aug 10th that stated he was having issues with FedEx freight and a rep was due there next week. I waited until the end of next week and have sent emails, try calling/left voice mails about every 5 days since (or more). Just asking for an update.

In that same email he asked about receiving at a freight dock or business if the FedEx issue was unresolved. I responded that it would be acceptable (same day as he sent the email).

So we are at 2 months past the estimated ship date at this point and ZERO outlook at the moment. Even giving him the benefit of the maximum hold time on my check of 2 weeks thats still a month and a half off.... more importantly with out any renewed estimate.

At this point its probably best if I refrain from any more postings until I at least hear from Jim. As this is holding up my project queue, I cant start anything for fear of being halfway thru when the kit comes. My garage is only so big and can only fit 1 project at a time (read its filled with the 99 miata parts and only room for the kit left).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 6:51 pm 

The last post by a Coveland customer was at about the 3 month wait point. (It's further down in this forum section if you haven't read it already) He finally got his stuff shortly therafter but there was a problem with Old Dominion Freight who he used to ship the crate. To give Coveland the benefit of the doubt, I figure he is trying to find an alternate shipping company that works better with folks who have no loading dock. Hopefully you will get it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 10:28 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

I emailed Jim with a question about a nosecone (which they don't carry anymore, despite what their website indicates) and was pleasantly surprised to get a response the very next day! That's gotta be some sort of record.

*Make way for the luckEseven!