LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping Help
PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 1:15 pm 

Hi guys! No luck finding a buyer for my 19 body, so I'm gonna have to get it up to WA somehow. :BH:

Our PODS units were too full and I don't own a pickup, so I'm gonna have to ship. Unfortunately I've never mailed anything so large as a car body, so I'm hoping some of you might have some good options. I was planning on just building a simple wooden crate, but then what? UPS? FedEx? Any other companies or methods?

Delivery time is not a concern, I'm just looking for the CHEAPEST, door-to-door delivery from 95051 to 98643.

Thanks!

Joe

Post subject: Re: Shipping Help
PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 1:25 pm 

I can't remember which company sent the first set of Eleven panels I bought or the second set, but one of them was shipping via Yellow Freight and the other FedEx freight. Both I thought were reasonable based on size. When I sold the first set of panels to Jack at Kinetic, I sent them south with a friend who was heading to a vintage race, cost next to nothing. So, maybe see if anyone in your area is heading to the Pacific Northwest Historics in July?

Or, cut them in half and pack them in a smaller crate to save some $$$.

PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 9:29 pm 

Hi lotus19, try googling “LTL freight load board” and youll find lots of options for shipping the body. Pick a board (I’ve heard good things about Direct Freight Services), post the details of your freight and see if you get cost-effective offers of service. LTL means “less than truckload” by the way. Post your freight on a couple of boards and see what you can get for a price. Truckers are always looking for freight to fill their trailers. Good luck, Bill

PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 9:29 pm 

I bought one of the Centaur kits from Lance a few years ago. Big wood box from 2x4's and plywood.
Shipped across country standard freight for about $500 in just over a week.
I did ship to my work address so there would be a loading dock available and that reduced cost.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 2:23 pm 

Freight rates can be crazy. I had a guy buy an LS1 from me. I got a quote for shipping; it was on the order of $1500 if I hauled it to the terminal and handed them a check. But it was "prepaid" on *his* end, it dropped to a bit over $300.

They got their money in advance either way, so I never figured out what was going on with that.

Also, the basic rate is "terminal to terminal." You used to be able to drop stuff off at the nearest terminal and you didn't have to pay for the truck to come out and pick it up. But now few of the shippers around here will allow that; they gleefully add a fat "pick-up charge" and claim it's a Homeland Security requirement.

Business-to-business rates are also usually much cheaper than anything with "residence" on one or both ends. Even if you're sending an engine to a freakin' flower shop...

If the shipper has insurance, buy it. And take *lots* of pictures of the packing process, the crate, and them picking up the crate. There are a number of steps involving part-time employees and fork lifts...

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 2:51 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I second taking many pictures. On the Honda forums, there have been reports of people buying parts, and what shows up are bricks in a box. Unless pictures are taken at both ends, it becomes impossible to know who the crook is.

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 10:58 pm 

Quote:
But now few of the shippers around here will allow that; they gleefully add a fat "pick-up charge" and claim it's a Homeland Security requirement.

Find another company!
The above is clearly a lie, I ship terminal to terminal every time for significant savings,
I'm in a very rural area now, at least sixty miles from any "City" so to my door will add $150.00+ even for relatively small items.
I use YRC most of the time.

PostPosted: May 25, 2019, 10:46 am 

KB58 wrote:
bricks in a box.

Miniscribe is back and selling Honda parts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniScribe

[inventory fraud and cover-up] "Wiles suggested that they continue hiding the problem, ordering all copies of the report be destroyed. This led to the company's most infamous cover-up; the managers rented a second warehouse in Colorado, where they personally packed 26,000 bricks into hard drive boxes and shipped them to Singapore in order to shore up the inventory count. After the count was complete, they recalled those serial numbers as defective units, but instead of writing them off, they checked them into inventory, along with other failed drives that had been returned.[6]"