LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 300SLR body.
PostPosted: September 9, 2021, 2:37 am 

A friend of mine has built several cars, a Cheetah and a GT40 to name a few. I formed Lexan headlight covers for the GT40 or "40" as he calls it.

His main thing is building fiddles and other string instruments. He's a nationally recognized luthier.

Earlier this spring he contacted me to ask if I could help him do the computer design for the body. I was able to find a fairly decent looking free .STL model online. He said it looked good so I started making sections for it and printed out about 2 reams of paper for him to transfer to plywood.

Now he's not a perfectionist when it comes to the cars, especially at 82 years old, but man can he build fast. I hope to have half the energy he does when I'm that old.

He built the "plywood" buck out of scraps. He has been filling it in with foam and plaster. I think he wants to just do the body fiberglass right on the buck (no making molds).

The Cheetah is sort of visible on the right. Oh, and the airplane which he built and flew hanging in the background.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 300SLR body.
PostPosted: September 9, 2021, 10:05 am 

Incredible skills! It has always been one of my favorite body designs! Please continue to post his progress.

Thom

PostPosted: September 9, 2021, 10:32 am 

The Gullwing is probably my all time Grail Car. Much love for the 300SLR, especially.
Please do keep this updated with progress.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: September 22, 2021, 2:21 am 

He hasn't fully committed to what windshield he wants to use. I though his Cheetah windshield looked pretty close, but he is trying to do this on the cheap. He is considering a mustang 2 windshield he had laying around, which will need to be cut. The problem I see (and he is ok with it) is that the 300SLR windshield curves around on the ends quite a bit. So if he goes with the flatter windshield, the a-pillars will be quite forward and possibly thick, and may also effect how he shapes the side windows/door. He was thinking of putting a small triangular window in the a-pillar space.

If anybody can think of a cheap windshield that would be closer, let me know.

Thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 22, 2021, 8:43 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Jag XKE windscreen.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 22, 2021, 8:50 am 

Early 50s Ford or Chev pickup windshields, cut in the centreline to narrow them. It's been done before on a Lalo build. Might be too high, which would be more cutting, but these windshields are readily available in the aftermarket at prices in the hundreds, not thousands.

PostPosted: September 26, 2021, 1:09 am 

Some more foam and CAD ;) I was surprised he started laying some fiberglass on the hood. He said he had some issues with the epoxy curing too soon, but it didn't look too bad. He had also glasses the front piece, I forgot to take a picture of that, that looked really good.

PostPosted: April 28, 2022, 8:54 pm 

Despite diabetic neuropathy and having a hard time walking, this guy is the energizer bunny! 80+ years old!

The new code name we came up with for this is the 300SLR-14.

More body work getting done, I can't believe how far he's gotten since I last visited. Amazing!

Front and rear bumper are somewhat formed, just not shown.

He's taking some liberties with the windshield due to not having a correctly shaped windshield. If I only knew 10% of what this guy knows...