LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 16, 2024, 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: September 13, 2012, 9:53 pm 
Always Moore!

Congratulations (and I love the color scheme).

Now the real question - why in the world is the car sitting stationary long enough for you to take pictures? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 13, 2012, 11:23 pm 

Trochu wrote:
Well done on getting legal! Could you provide a brief explanation on the details of the structural inspection? Did they actually do any testing, just look, X-ray some welds? Also, obviously the car passed, but what were the results?

I'll post a step by step of what I had to do in a day or two, or post it in the other section on titles and stuff......

PostPosted: September 13, 2012, 11:42 pm 

A milestone day :cheers:

Given that everyone seems to have different requirements and experiences in the final inspections/registration stages it does add to the stress of completing the project :BH: . But when you walk out of the insurance office with a license plate in hand you know for sure your hoop jumping is over.

Hope you get some quality driving time in before winter hits, which in your part of the woods might be next week. :D

Have fun, Ron

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 8:55 am 
We are Slotus!

a.moore wrote:
Congratulations (and I love the color scheme).
Now the real question - why in the world is the car sitting stationary long enough for you to take pictures? :mrgreen:

Yeah, what he said! Congratulations on weaving your way thru the government morass. Well done, Sir!
Now go for a ride, you earned it!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 14, 2012, 4:40 pm 

How about That? It looks really, really cool. I'm even starting to like the wheels.

Congratulations to you. It looks very traditional in a way - very good for a replica. But, it also looks very fresh too. Your choice of that particular green works very well.

Enjoy yourself!

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 15, 2012, 1:39 pm 

My brother sent me this..................

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 18, 2012, 7:59 pm 

Well, how relaxing to go down and fix a few leaks and know that it's just for you and no one else. I keep fondling the plates! Coolant leak was just a loose hose clamp, done. Oil leak was the valve cover gaskets, both sides, I had purchased a whole top end gasket set on fleabay that originated in China for 50 bucks. Well I just went to Toyota and purchased Toyota valve cover gaskets for 53 bucks for the pair but they don't leak!!! Lesson learned. the clutch master leak I suspect is from to much travel in the pedal. I added a pedal stop and adjusted it so we'll see. My arm is getting tired from answering every ones thumbs up or waves. Of course secretly I love all the attention, I wonder if it gets to be too much? I had to calibrate my Autometer speedometer before it would read properly but it was simple and now I have an accurate speedo. I'm almost out of gas so I'm up for my first trip the the gas bar, regular was 129.9 today, I have know idea what premium will be but I don't give a damn, I'm legal.

Cheers

PostPosted: September 18, 2012, 10:17 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
My arm is getting tired from answering every ones thumbs up or waves. Of course secretly I love all the attention, I wonder if it gets to be too much?

I figure every time one of these cars is on the road and you get a wave, the chances of another one being built go up. And so on. So it puts something into our world now that was sort of lost or misplaced just a few decades ago. I'm sure folks like my grandfathers, who almost always seemed to have a screwdriver or pliers in their back pocket and a sigh of patience when their little grandkid would just have to see what they were doing, I'm sure they look down and smile...

My Grandad never got tired of telling the story how he bought his first car, a model T for $5. "And It Came With Tools!" - see tools where everything. Without them you were just helpless...

I also remember one day I brought him a mantle piece clock he had given me and said I just couldn't get it to keep running. The Alzeheimers was killing him and he couldn't have a real conversation anymore. He picked that up and listened to it for a moment and said "Oh it's the escapement, get me a screwdriver" and quickly fixed it up. I had no idea he still had it in him.

PostPosted: September 27, 2012, 10:21 pm 

OK, so I told ya'll about being a cheap SOB with my valve cover gaskets, now I have to own up to being a cheap SOB again. I was out for a little toot the other day as I'm going up a long hill The engine starts to sputter stumble like it's out of gas. I make it over the hill and pull over, a few pokes at the accelerator and all seems well again. So five or six miles later I'm getting near home and same thing happens although this time it dies completely right in front of my house. Lucky you might say except my drive way up to the garage is about a 25 degree angle and I don't care how light a locost is I'm not gonna push it up there by myself.
So I'm thinking it has to be fuel. I pull the fuel filter, it's fine. Then I pull the fuel line off at the carbs, stick it in a jar and turn on the ignition, nothing, zip, nada. Then I start to think maybe I should have paid more than fourty bucks for a fuel pump. I went online and found that about 99 out of a 100 people thought this pump was the worst piece of crap they had ever seen. I guess the name should have been a tip....Mr. Gasket!
I dribbled enough gas into float chambers and made it up the drive and into the garage, you have to be resourceful with these cars I guess.

I have Mr. Carter working for me now.

PostPosted: September 27, 2012, 11:13 pm 

Not a Mr. Gasket "Facet" pump from LordCo? I went through two of those - one before the car was even licenced.

PostPosted: September 28, 2012, 12:35 pm 

SkinnyG wrote:
Not a Mr. Gasket "Facet" pump from LordCo? I went through two of those - one before the car was even licenced.

Guilty!

PostPosted: September 28, 2012, 4:00 pm 

I just had a 246 Dino pass me going the other way.........and he waved first :lol:

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 8:46 pm 

So the weather is still holding and I'm still able to get out every day for a bit. I only put on ten or fifteen miles but it is a new motor so I'm getting it broken in. I got some new jets and air correctors for the webers today but I still need to do some tuning to have it perfect. I'm still getting some spitting back through the carbs at nearly closed throttle but I still have more jets on the way. Heck before long I'll understand webers as well as I used to know SU,s plus I'll have every jet, air corrector they make. I found a place in Italy for that stuff that is downright cheap and it's here in a week.
I'm still amazed by how much attention I get when I'm out in it.
I'm still amazed at how fast it is when you put the hammer down.
My tach only goes to seven grand and my soft limiter doesn't kick in 'till eight but I haven't been over six so far. I have a feeling that that last two grand will be quite eye opening. I'm guessing that with the bump in compression, the cams and the carbs I'm at 160 to 170 HP.
I saw an app for my phone today that works with the GPS and the accelerometer and gives you all your performance figures, I think I'll go download that for my outing tomorrow.
About six hundred miles on it so far and nothing has fallen of, nothing is loose and nothing has caught fire, I think my alternator belt needs tightening tho 'cause it squeals when I first start it.
I'll be back with an update and I WILL get a video up some time soon.....................
David

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 9:01 pm 

You might want to sign up with the "sidedraft central" yahoo group, Keith Franck is doing some experimental "scientific" Weber tuning. Its worth joining and just reading up. I wish i had access to it when i was playing around with the Webers on my old Seven.

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 9:10 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
You might want to sign up with the "sidedraft central" yahoo group, Keith Franck is doing some experimental "scientific" Weber tuning. Its worth joining and just reading up. I wish i had access to it when i was playing around with the Webers on my old Seven.

Thanks for that, I'll get over there. You can't ever have too many resources when it comes to carbs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next