LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 29, 2024, 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bob's SR20DET build
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 11:18 pm 

OK its been a while. I have had a change in directions.

Sold the SR20DET. I purchased an Audi 2005 qauattro with an 1.8Turbo chipped second stage. It develops about 250hp. Motor is in great shape and was running before I took it out.

I have the diff just about ready to mount, The lower control arms are installed and building the upper tabs. I am using miata spindles in the rear because the Audi spindles would be very complicated.

The diff is not heavy or too big. Everything looks to fit fine so far.

The video is of the rear suspension without the upper control arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qns6tEGU-hU&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 1:22 am 

I am going to make my rear upper control arm from an aluminium billet. I want to use heim joints. Would there be a problem threading in aluminum for these or should I use steel insert? I am afraid that the threads would tear and the heim joint loosen up.

PostPosted: July 22, 2015, 4:54 pm 

Working on front control arms. Not as easy as I thought. You guys make it look easy.

My lower control arms I borrowed from Perry's build log. Seemed like a good idea... Thanks Perry.....

Nothing set int metal yet...... Have to be sure. Will tac them and do both sides.

Attachment:
IMG_0052.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0053.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0054.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0055.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0056.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0057.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 22, 2015, 4:59 pm 

After cutting out the shock plate on the CNC, and tacing the arms, placing it near where it should go, it seems the plate is not big enough. Will do some creative fabbing for the shock mount on the lower tab.

Attachment:
IMG_0058.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 23, 2015, 11:39 am 

bevins wrote:
Sold the SR20DET. I purchased an Audi 2005 qauattro with an 1.8Turbo chipped second stage.

What drove you to ditch the SR in favor of the 1.8T?

PostPosted: July 23, 2015, 3:09 pm 

bevins wrote:
After cutting out the shock plate on the CNC, and tacing the arms, placing it near where it should go, it seems the plate is not big enough. Will do some creative fabbing for the shock mount on the lower tab.

Attachment:
IMG_0058.JPG

I wouldn't bother making that lower br@cket any bigger. Mount the shock on what you have, and as close as you can to the spindle as possible. Then work out your upper mounting solution. Look at how Gonzo did his upper shock mount (yes the one that broke, LöL). It extends past the outsides of the frame and the shock doesn't sit at so much of an angle. I think you would be better off going that route. I'm sure others will chime in. One thing I've learned from here is you want the mounting tabs on the lower control for the shock to sit as close as possible to the spindle, and if possible mount the shock close to vertical so your spring rates don't change. It's just not always feasible with our open wheel front suspensions.

Glad to see some updates on your build.

To answer your previous question. I would use steel inserts in that aluminum upright if you can. Never hurts to gain a couple of ounces for far more strength. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 24, 2015, 12:42 am 

RTz wrote:
bevins wrote:
Sold the SR20DET. I purchased an Audi 2005 qauattro with an 1.8Turbo chipped second stage.

What drove you to ditch the SR in favor of the 1.8T?

Mostly cost. Would have to purchase everything. I purchased an Audi 2005 with 100,000 km for 1500 removed what I needed and sold it for 1000.00

PostPosted: July 24, 2015, 12:45 am 

Briggs wrote:
bevins wrote:

Attachment:
IMG_0058.JPG

I wouldn't bother making that lower br@cket any bigger. Mount the shock on what you have, and as close as you can to the spindle as possible. Then work out your upper mounting solution. Look at how Gonzo did his upper shock mount (yes the one that broke, LöL). It extends past the outsides of the frame and the shock doesn't sit at so much of an angle. I think you would be better off going that route. I'm sure others will chime in. One thing I've learned from here is you want the mounting tabs on the lower control for the shock to sit as close as possible to the spindle, and if possible mount the shock close to vertical so your spring rates don't change. It's just not always feasible with our open wheel front suspensions.

Glad to see some updates on your build.

To answer your previous question. I would use steel inserts in that aluminum upright if you can. Never hurts to gain a couple of ounces for far more strength. :cheers:

Thanks Briggs. I am going to research the steel inserts for the rear UCA.

PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 10:27 pm 

Did some more work today on the 7.Got the front suspension all tacked in. Just need to build the upper control arms for the rear.

Attachment:
lotus7-2.JPG

Attachment:
lotus7-1.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIp0M5IJJo&feature=youtu.be

How do you get you tube video to embed? I tried using the you-tube tags but doesn't work.

PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 11:15 am 

Hi Bob, looking forward to this one! Hoping to see more of that amazing machining.

I'm curious, isn't the 1.8T a transverse mounted motor, or longitudinal AWD? What are you doing to convert to RWD?

Thanks!

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 1:35 pm 

ThunderHeide wrote:
Hi Bob, looking forward to this one! Hoping to see more of that amazing machining.

I'm curious, isn't the 1.8T a transverse mounted motor, or longitudinal AWD? What are you doing to convert to RWD?

Thanks!

In a volks it is mounted like that. In an Audi it is the other way. 4 wheel drive quattro, has a transmission. Blocking the front. Have to use an Audi diff cause the setup it turns the other direction...... go figure. But I had it mocked up in the frame and it is ok. Working on machining my rear UCA.

I have a 8" Mustang diff with the machined watts link i don't need anymore if anyone wants it. low down dirty price....:-)

PostPosted: July 28, 2015, 5:28 pm 

Upper Control arm for Miata spindles....

Attachment:
Rear UCA1.jpg

Attachment:
Rear UCA2.jpg

Attachment:
Rear UCA3.jpg

Attachment:
Rear UCA 4.jpg

PostPosted: July 28, 2015, 9:35 pm 

Bottom Faced off.

Attachment:
UCA5.jpg

Attachment:
UCA6.jpg

PostPosted: July 28, 2015, 11:37 pm 

Keep cutting. Interested in the final results 8<)

PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:01 am 

Bob,

What kind of metal are you making those control arms out of? Also, are you using some sort of CAM software to map those out?

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next