LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: January 17, 2022, 5:23 pm 

Atta boy Ron!
Car looks real nice, all the best at the DMV :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 18, 2022, 5:04 am 

Ron,

Not familiar with OR rules. If anything like here in WA it will be a snap. Best of luck with the registration and titling.

Cheers!

PostPosted: January 18, 2022, 1:22 pm 

Looks great, Ron. Congrats on getting it on the road and good luck with the DMV. Now all you'll need is some dry weather.
:cheers:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 18, 2022, 2:24 pm 

Thank you, Gentlemen! :cheers:

I scheduled an appt at a DMV with covered parking. Unfortunately the earliest available date is 3/14 :BH: Hopefully Larry is right and it’ll go smoothly :drive:

PostPosted: January 31, 2022, 8:02 pm 

Suede seats are done. Soooooo done looking at those yellow cushions :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 5:21 am 

I really love how this car has come together, its incredibly clean. Good work!

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 8:24 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Seats look great. What are the fabric specs? 3m foam safe spray adhesive? Chip board bottom and backing or just wrapped and velcro or just set in place?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 3:04 pm 

G13BLocost wrote:
I really love how this car has come together, its incredibly clean. Good work!

Thank you very much Josh! Your Seven is equally admirable!

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 3:04 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Seats look great. What are the fabric specs? 3m foam safe spray adhesive? Chip board bottom and backing or just wrapped and velcro or just set in place?

Thanks MV8. Not sure what to say about fabric specs, I just bought a full cow hide from the upholsterer who did the work and we used it inside-out, aka suede (matching the steering wheel). I know close to nothing about this type of work so I entrusted her with the construction methods (third generation artisan). The things I'm able to tell you are that there is no spray adhesive or board. They are backside zippered for assembly/disassembly with sewn in 2" velcro for attachment to the car. The back cushion is high density, high resiliency foam and the bottom cushion first layer is 1" yoga mat bonded to high density, high resiliency foam for the upper portion. The foam is VERY firm, but compliant. They are far more comfortable than their simple shape implies. I haven't driven the car with them yet, but spent about 20 minutes sitting in them. I suspect that I'll fatigue from other aspects of the car (noise, wind, etc) before I tire of the seating. I'll find out soon enough, hopefully.

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 6:07 pm 

As of today she's VIN'd, insured, and temp plated. Permanent plates are in process.

If I get time I'll post a longer account of the process tomorrow. For now a couple gratuitous pics…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 7:26 pm 

Woo Hoo!!!! Right on Ron :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to the 10%er club :yay:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 7:36 pm 

Congratulations Ron! Hope it wasn't too traumatic of an experience. It is a milestone worthy of celebration.

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 8:37 pm 

This is one of the cleaner cars I have seen built here! Says not only something about your skills but the approach of using laser cut materials and CAD.

BTW- did you use ant type of finishing on the outer skins? They look really nice!

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 7:27 am 

horchoha wrote:
Woo Hoo!!!! Right on Ron :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to the 10%er club :yay:

Thanks Perry, means a lot coming from the master of getting things done. I don't think anyone here can keep up with you!

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 7:29 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Congratulations Ron! Hope it wasn't too traumatic of an experience. It is a milestone worthy of celebration.

Thanks Larry, not traumatic, but certainly frustrating in the beginning. Questions/statements from the DMV like…

"How can it be a replica if the frame doesn't have a VIN?"
"There's no bodywork covering the engine, so is it still a replica?"
"The engine VIN is riveted to the engine. I don't like that"
"I don't get into trailers" (I brought the car in an enclosed trailer)
"You need to prove to us it looks like a Lotus"
"This receipt doesn't state it's for the body"
"The receipt doesn't say it's for the frame"
"Show me again where you used the Miata frame"

And on and on for an HOUR, talking in circles. Showing pictures, showing them the car, explaining how it came to be. I don't think it's a stretch to say I got the two most ignorant DMV personnel in the entire state. It came down to them just staring at me. They didn't know what to do and they didn't know what to tell me to do.

The last straw, they tried to get me to write down the Miata's VIN on a title application for which I FLATLEY refused. At which point I got them to engage the manager (I hate being a Karen) and he at least had a suggestion and that was to refer me to the State Police for a VIN inspection. The idea being that the Police have the authority to recommend the DMV provide a VIN. Unfortunately that is appointment only so I had to wait another couple weeks.

Things got much better. I showed up for the VIN inspection and the officers were AWESOME. They knew what they were doing, understood what I was doing, knew what needed to be done, extremely helpful with answering questions, and they all loved the car - officers were coming over from other departments because they had heard about it.

One of the things I asked them about and got an interesting response, was "Who does the road worthiness inspection, lights, horn, etc?" The Trooper replied "We don't care about that. We only care about it when you're on the road and when we see something illegal we'll happily inform you then with a fix it ticket". Which makes a certain amount of sense after thinking about it for a moment.

They did about a 20 minute dig through their database, signed off the car with a handshake and a written recommendation to the DMV for a VIN. I headed straight back to the DMV, got the manager and had a much better conversation. He came out to the car, made one circle around it and said "Where do you want the VIN?"

Went back inside and he printed out a 90 day permit that says "1960 Lotus" (yes, that made me happy, as a matter of fact) and let me know the paperwork was off to Salem for processing and I'd receive tags and permanent plates in the mail.

I wish I could have gone to the police first, it would have been more efficient for all of us, but the catch is that you can't get a VIN inspection without a referral from the DMV, so I don't know how to cut that corner.

The one recommendation I would make to someone getting ready to go through this is to make a folder with just a FEW pages that are mostly pictures with single sentence explanations showing how you got from A to Z. In other words, I put together about 10 pages that started off with what an original 7 looks like, what it's bare frame looks like, what my bare frame looks like, a few progress pictures and a couple completion pictures. I brought this with me the on the second trip to the DMV and it most definitely helped them understand what I did, they even specifically thanked me for it and sent it to Salem with the rest of the paperwork.

Last edited by RTz on March 31, 2022, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next