LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Stalker BMW build
PostPosted: June 5, 2021, 1:54 pm 

I can never make the damn videos embed on this site! Copy/paste the link if interested, I guess.

Alex

PostPosted: June 5, 2021, 6:10 pm 

Inspirational build Alex, thanks for taking the extra time to document all the details - great to see it out in the wild. I think your build is in the top 10% of the 10%ers that finish a build.

What is the heat reflective product used on the frame near the exhausts? I need some of that bling in my engine bay!

:cheers:
Marcus.

PostPosted: June 5, 2021, 6:21 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Inspirational build Alex, thanks for taking the extra time to document all the details - great to see it out in the wild. I think your build is in the top 10% of the 10%ers that finish a build.

What is the heat reflective product used on the frame near the exhausts? I need some of that bling in my engine bay!

:cheers:
Marcus.

Thanks, feels pretty good to be enjoying the summer with it!

That gold tape is awesome. I wish I could remember where I got it :BH:

It was gold heat tape from somewhere fairly reputable (i.e. not ebay or amazon). I bought it for an even older project, maybe 10 years ago, so I lost all recollection of where. I had a turbo downpipe (just 0.065" stainless) maybe 1/2" from a brake booster and used this on the booster. It never even got to warm to touch.

I just did a quick search and I'm pretty sure it's DEI brand from Summit. The reason to go with somewhere reputable is really more about the adhesive than the heat properties, this sticks to anything and stays.

Alex

PostPosted: June 5, 2021, 6:29 pm 

Oh Yesssh, dats a keeper!

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 1:41 am 

What a great build. I love the inline six and the dog sequential.

ajmacdon wrote:
No weight yet

Waiting anxiously for that.

PostPosted: June 20, 2021, 8:00 am 

So the only thing harder than building a kit car is cutting holes in that finished car! This intake airbox/filter is stage one of fixing the underhood and intake air temp issues. The filters will stay with the hood and then I'll have an airbox split around the velocity stacks (half on the hood, half in the engine compartment). I like the look of the exposed filters balancing the headers on the other side a lot.

Stage 2 is some louvers from Vraptor. Saw them at a car show on a Supra and thought they looked really good. I did the string tuft experiment to find a low pressure zone after the rad so hopefully the outwash goes up through the louvers rather than packing the engine bay full of hot air.

Yikes, OMG, too soon for drill bits and hole saws!:

Liking this look a lot:

This kind of louvers (obviously not frenched in like this but at least mounted sub-flush) Mine are a smaller overall and each individual louver is a bit smaller as well:

Out in the wild with the requisite bike rack. The car has 350 miles on it now so actually getting a lot of use out of it already:

Alex

PostPosted: June 20, 2021, 7:12 pm 

ajmacdon wrote:
The weight goal is realistically sub 1400lbs but the stretch goal is 1250.

Get that thing on some scales.

PostPosted: July 1, 2021, 1:01 pm 

Pretty happy that the afterthought hood venting actually improved the look of the car IMHO. It all breaks up the 'long beak' look that sometimes looks awkward on this car.

Louvers from VRaptor, nice guy, e-mail order system, lots of choices. They're really intended to rivet on externally but I stuck them on the underside with urethane windshield adhesive.

I'll drive it somewhere this afternoon to see if they made any difference, intake temps should at least be better.

Alex

PostPosted: July 2, 2021, 11:12 am 

They really look good!

Thom

PostPosted: July 3, 2021, 9:54 pm 

Once you get it fully operational and sorted, you'll have to give us a comparison of driving your Stalker versus the two Corvettes.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 7, 2021, 4:34 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Once you get it fully operational and sorted, you'll have to give us a comparison of driving your Stalker versus the two Corvettes.

Cheers,

That will be interesting after a track day for sure. Around town so far it's goldilocks. The Stalker is super raw with no roof/doors, etc and the sequential gearbox, muffler nearly inside the car and all that. The C8 is very refined and quiet and has the DCT doing all the thinking so the total opposite end of the sports car spectrum. The C7 is a regular 3 pedal manual and the widebody so right in the middle of the other two on ride quality, 'driveline involvement' and NVH (well, maybe 80% to the C8 on NVH :lol: ). If I could only have one it would be the C7, hands down, love that car. If only two, maybe C8 and Stalker. (I would miss the HUGE hatch space on the C7, though, that's our pickup truck)

I'll re-visit after pushing the stalker a little harder eventually, though.

Alex

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 6:54 pm 

seattletom wrote:
There is also this electrically activated linear actuator to set/release a parking brake. Pricey but "handleless."
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/E-Stopp- ... 65217.html

I opted for a left-side handle mount to keep the console clean. There is no left thigh interference.
Attachment:
P5054528-1.jpg

Any further movement on parking brake. I'd love to get rid of my large ugly handle and replace it with an electric solenoid like that expensive one. Would just like to do it cheaper lol. I see used GM solenoids but not sure if they have the brains to just use a momentary switch to activate on/off

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14