LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stalker BMW build
PostPosted: November 15, 2018, 4:29 pm 

Fantastic build! Clean and rational choices at every turn.

I'm curious about the dry sump decision; was the oil pan interfering with the ground or part of the frame? That is for those of us interested in copying you and going with an N52 is the decision very high hood (how high?) or dry sump? Or was it a compromise forced by some quirk of the stalker frame?

Thanks!

PostPosted: January 2, 2019, 7:03 am 

tgarr wrote:
Fantastic build! Clean and rational choices at every turn.

I'm curious about the dry sump decision; was the oil pan interfering with the ground or part of the frame? That is for those of us interested in copying you and going with an N52 is the decision very high hood (how high?) or dry sump? Or was it a compromise forced by some quirk of the stalker frame?

Thanks!

Sorry, missed this post earlier.

Just ground clearance. It's a really tall engine with the Valvetronic assembly. I think you could do it with the Stalker hood bulge (that I opted not to get for appearance sake) but it would be close. The high point is quite far forward and on the pass side.

Alex

PostPosted: January 2, 2019, 7:04 am 

Lots of work ongoing but nothing too interesting.

Finished exhaust aside from final welding and, well, finishing.

Mounting the bike mufflers was a pretty big challenge. There's really no attractive way to mount them to the side of the body with any kind of rubber isolation (I also don't know how they're going to sound so didn't want to build a big mount right through the carbon panel if I might switch to a normal muffler someday). Also, to clear the fender they are probably 6-8 inches from the side of the car so, again, it wouldn't be pretty. I'm happy with the solution, though. It's a cantilevered mount with 4 silicone mounts. The inside pair are flipped one way and the ouside the other so that all the mounts are basically in compression. Then there's a stand off that the cans bolt to.

Next up was the parking brake. This sucked because I don't even want the damn thing, it's just for legality. Also, no matter how you do it it takes up a bunch of valuable real estate. A normal Miata pull handle would kill the tiny amount of center console space so instead I used an old school under-dash pull and twist handle but put it between the driver and passenger. That takes up a small amount of trunk space which I'm also trying to keep sacred but seemed like the right trade. Oh well, it works great and is out of the way. Still need to make a nice handle.

You can also see I've been busy with interior aluminum paneling. Going very well. Everything held together for now with #4 sheetmetal screws which leave a smaller hole than you need for a rivet so I can get it mostly assembled before painting and then go through and rivet everything. I think clecos have been usurped by the advent of the Li-Ion drill, no idea why I would monkey around with them when I can drill and shoot screws nearly instantaneously.

Alex

PostPosted: January 3, 2019, 6:34 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I assume the standoff allows the mufflers to rotate from vertical movement at the flex joint.
Food for thought:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 3, 2019, 9:19 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I assume the standoff allows the mufflers to rotate from vertical movement at the flex joint.
Food for thought:

Yeah, it's quite flexible give both the silicone pads and the mufflers being attached by straps. The mount system worked well to meet my goal of basically only providing a vertical constraint, all rotations and some lateral/longitudinal translations are relatively free and fixed only by the exhaust they're attached to. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Alex

PostPosted: January 3, 2019, 3:21 pm 

Hey Alex, great build.
I noticed you're using a pull type e brake, what did you get that from? I'm looking for one just like that for the Topolino build.
Thanks.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 3, 2019, 5:19 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Hey Alex, great build.
I noticed you're using a pull type e brake, what did you get that from? I'm looking for one just like that for the Topolino build.
Thanks.

Summit racing, from a late 60's mustang. It was cheap, $25ish?

Alex

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 11:19 am 

Hi Alex, fantastic build. I like your mid rise lift. What brand is that?

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 12:35 pm 

ajmacdon wrote:
horchoha wrote:
Hey Alex, great build.
Thanks.

Summit racing, from a late 60's mustang. It was cheap, $25ish?

Alex

Thanks Alex, I see they are around $75 now.
Bought a good used Stang one off ebay for half the price, gonna work just fine.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 2:03 pm 

merim123 wrote:
Hi Alex, fantastic build. I like your mid rise lift. What brand is that?

It's a Bison from Naautoequipment.com. They were great to work with and shipping was really fast. Couldn't be happier with the lift given my low ceiling height. It's serious steel, a lot of 3/4" plate throughout the mechanism.

Alex

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 2:42 pm 

Thanks Alex, just checked and they are now discontinued :( Dang.

PostPosted: January 4, 2019, 5:31 pm 

Mazda B2000 and Ford Courier pickups had that sort of parking brake, if you can find one.

Some states require an "emergency" brake, which has to be operable from the driver's normal position, etc. Other states require a "parking" brake, which has considerably more latitude.

OEMs get a pass on a lot of things; one of those was the C4 Corvette, which had a lift-handle between the seat and door, instead of on the console. There are probably some people who can use one without opening the door first...

Some postal Jeeps, forklifts, and other equipment use a short - less than a foot long - lever brake, usually mounted crossways under on even on the dash. I've also seen them on big trucks, though I've wondered how they would have enough leverage to do anything useful.

S1 Lotus 7s used a lever brake crosswise under the dash, on the passenger side.

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 8:18 am 
We are Slotus!

The vehicle I learned to drive on, a 1960 GMC pickup, had a lever-style parking brake sideways under the dash. Hinged on the left, handle end on the right just under the dashboard about in line with the gas pedal. You pulled it outward to set it. It let you know it was on when you got in the truck and banged your knee on it...

:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 8:58 am 

TRX wrote:
Mazda B2000 and Ford Courier pickups had that sort of parking brake, if you can find one.

Some states require an "emergency" brake, which has to be operable from the driver's normal position, etc. Other states require a "parking" brake, which has considerably more latitude.

OEMs get a pass on a lot of things; one of those was the C4 Corvette, which had a lift-handle between the seat and door, instead of on the console. There are probably some people who can use one without opening the door first...

Some postal Jeeps, forklifts, and other equipment use a short - less than a foot long - lever brake, usually mounted crossways under on even on the dash. I've also seen them on big trucks, though I've wondered how they would have enough leverage to do anything useful.

S1 Lotus 7s used a lever brake crosswise under the dash, on the passenger side.

Good point, Michigan is a "parking brake" state. I still think that with a cooperative police officer you could argue that where I put it would serve the 'able to be actuated from the driver's normal position' though?

Alex

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 9:17 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

GonzoRacer wrote:
The vehicle I learned to drive on, a 1960 GMC pickup, had a lever-style parking brake sideways under the dash. Hinged on the left, handle end on the right just under the dashboard about in line with the gas pedal. You pulled it outward to set it. It let you know it was on when you got in the truck and banged your knee on it...

:cheers:
JD

The earliest Seven's were similar. Seems a little awkward though.

Toyota pickups have a 1/4 turn pull ebrake also.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next