LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 4, 2020, 3:50 am 

Hi everyone, My name is Brandon, new to the forum. Its been a dream of mine for a long time to own a Lotus Seven (replica). I bought this rolling chassis after eyeing it for a long time. I got a good deal on it. All I was told from the previous owner is that its based on Ron Champions designs. He inherited it and was not involved in the build and therefore knew nothing.

What I think so far: Looks to be a Chevette engine (Isuzu) and trans. I think that's a Toyota rear end, but not sure what vehicle.

I plan to source Kinetic Vehicles: Nose, Hood and Scuttle. Jack I would love to discuss it with you.

I am thinking of swapping an Ecotec Engine and AR5 Manual transmission from a Pontiac Solstice/ Saturn Sky.

None of this my work (yet). So don't feel bad about giving your honest opinion. I know that it has some major problems that I will correct. For example, the steering and front suspension does not look right to me.

Quote:
Edit: I figured out that the front brakes, knuckles/spindles and ball joints are all off a late 80s Toyota pickup truck.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Burto17 on November 10, 2020, 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: November 4, 2020, 12:25 pm 

It may be more than difficult to fit one of Jacks noses on that chassis, it does not taper much to the front?

The front suspension is very basic
the steering does not appear to be right at all (other than moving the wheels right and left)
The outer ends of the upper arms look like they will hit the wheels in high turning angles.
The inner mounts are low on the frame causing a fairly elevated chassis height (maybe on purpose if the motor sticks out the bottom).
The front upper shock mounts will not hold up (I would not drive it like that).
Is the wheel track wider in the front than the rear?

When re-working this you should decide what wheel tire combo to use and build the car to complement that.
Chassis height and roll center should be brought closer to Caterham spec's, as this will greatly affect the feel and character of the chassis.
The steering rack is mounted fairly far back from the C/L (some rear offset may be beneficial, but that appears excessive) and appears high (tie rods should be very close to parallel to the lower arms).
Also the rack may have not been shortened, the inner tie rod end pivots should fall very close to a line drawn between the upper and lower inner arm mounts.

You can model your front suspension using vsusp http://www.vsusp.com

PostPosted: November 4, 2020, 1:59 pm 

But if it starts and runs, why bother changing the driveline? Fix what needs fixing, finish what isn't, and hit the road. Upgrades can come later. Looking in the mirror, it is possible to say that some of us take too long to finish. Be like Perry!

PostPosted: November 4, 2020, 2:13 pm 

Sage advice, I'll test out the engine and trans before I rip it out. I certainly have to sort out the steering and front suspension. It looks like someone eye balled it lol.

PostPosted: November 4, 2020, 2:25 pm 

What's the width of the chassis at the mid-chassis kink (where the back of the scuttle will go) and the front of the chassis (where the nose goes)?

PostPosted: November 4, 2020, 2:29 pm 

I will find out later today. Headed to pick it up 6 hours away lol.

PostPosted: November 5, 2020, 8:58 am 

Looks interesting, in a good way. Maybe move the steering rack in front of the forward frame rail, I think that would make the tie rod angles much better.

You have to decide how you going to plan your project out. Some people like to build the ultimate vehicle from day one. It takes much longer, costs more initially and when your done your done. I like to have a continuing plan, so each year it gets upgraded in some way, sometimes small upgrades (anti roll bars), sometimes larger upgrades (different engine). So using my plan I would get it running, if the motor runs well, finish the rest of the vehicle and get it driving. Then plan from there. I have a friend that is starting his 3rd project since I have owned my 7. Each one turned into a great car, but after each one was done and driven for a year or so it was sold to start a new project, always sold at a loss. Where I have a ongoing plan.

Graham

PostPosted: November 5, 2020, 9:12 am 

Another vote for fixing what you have. The Solstice/Sky drivetrain is huge compare to what you have now. You would even have to enlarge the tunnel, raise the scuttle to fix the bonnet over the engine, plus fixing the steering and suspension. These projects always take looonger then planned. Keep it simple.
What is your location?
davew

PostPosted: November 6, 2020, 10:38 am 

davew wrote:
What is your location?
davew

I am also from Michigan Dave, north of Lansing.

PostPosted: November 6, 2020, 11:02 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
What's the width of the chassis at the mid-chassis kink (where the back of the scuttle will go)

It's 42", that's standard width I believe? However the frame is 15" tall. Not the standard 13".

JackMcCornack wrote:
and the front of the chassis (where the nose goes)?
It's 28" at the widest point (top) and tapers down to 26" at the bottom. The frame is also 15" tall in the front. Seems much wider than normal.

PostPosted: November 7, 2020, 8:48 am 

Burto17
You have a PM.
Davew

PostPosted: November 9, 2020, 7:42 pm 

Dave came out and looked over my project and let me drive his 7. Very grateful to you sir.

PostPosted: November 10, 2020, 10:13 am 

My pleasure :D Looks to be a fun project.
davew